• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Back to one bike

WU7X

SWMBO wasn't too happy that I had two bikes filling up the garage. :bow So yesterday I sold the R1150RT to a very nice gent from Sand Point.

That leaves me "only" with the '02 Dakar. I'm still a very happy camper! IF my summer goes the way I want it to, I'll be doing the Hell's Canyon campout in June, Expo Rallye/WABDR in July/August, and Wetfest in September. Being retired is turning out to be the best part of my life, so far. :brow

Paul just said he's getting four bikes ready for summer travels. I said "Four?"

He said "You never know . . ."

Voni
sMiling

Full Garages:)

I keep 3 tour ready and its my max these days. Had 5 at one poiunt and it was too much work. GSA1200, R100/7 and KLR650, all maxed out for tour:). The GSA is my main long hauler these days, but all three can go anytime... My Son in Law rides a Dakar650'03 model. Neat bike, but is having alternator woes, not charging enough? The stator is out of the Dakar right now and slated to be rebuilt. Paul has 4, how many for Voni? Randy

Well, I suppose I could always...

sell SWMBO's little Miata. That would open up the second bay in the garage. NAH!

I had two bikes for awhile. But when I bought the GS I only needed 1. The 650 Rocks. I rode 1 accross the country in 09 and flogged it to death! But now I have a big old 1100.

greg

The 1100 and 1150-1200 GS's

are all really sweet bikes. But I found out with my 1150RT that they are a bit too big for my very new at riding, but very Old Fart body. At 63, I like the size and power of the Dakar. I'll be having Sasquatch rebuild the rear shock and send me the emulators/progressive springs for the front forks very soon. After that, a new aluminum bash plate for the engine and one or two other protective pieces, then I'm done farkling. The water pump parts are here, so I can do a pre-problem replacement on that. At the same time I will change the radiator fluid, change the countershaft sprocket to a 15 tooth one, clean the chain, oh and do an early change of the oil & filters. Most of these things I haven't done before, so it will be a fun learning experience. I have a young mechanical genius that I am going to ask to help me. Then I've got to start adding up the miles on dirt & gravel. Look out summer, here I come! :dance

I had two bikes for awhile. But when I bought the GS I only needed 1. The 650 Rocks. I rode 1 accross the country in 09 and flogged it to death! But now I have a big old 1100.

greg

are all really sweet bikes. But I found out with my 1150RT that they are a bit too big for my very new at riding, but very Old Fart body. At 63, I like the size and power of the Dakar. I'll be having Sasquatch rebuild the rear shock and send me the emulators/progressive springs for the front forks very soon. After that, a new aluminum bash plate for the engine and one or two other protective pieces, then I'm done farkling. The water pump parts are here, so I can do a pre-problem replacement on that. At the same time I will change the radiator fluid, change the countershaft sprocket to a 15 tooth one, clean the chain, oh and do an early change of the oil & filters. Most of these things I haven't done before, so it will be a fun learning experience. I have a young mechanical genius that I am going to ask to help me. Then I've got to start adding up the miles on dirt & gravel. Look out summer, here I come! :dance

Sounds like a great plan.

The 02 Dakar is one of the best F650's IMO. You still have easy access to the oil filter and the rectifier is in a much better spot too.

Have a great summer!

IF my summer goes the way I want it to, I'll be doing the Hell's Canyon campout in June, Expo Rallye/WABDR in July/August, and Wetfest in September. Being retired is turning out to be the best part of my life, so far. :brow

be sure to ride out to Hat Point in Hell's Canyon... and note that there is a very nice, but primitive, campground there.

960517363_7wAoG-XL.jpg

ian

Wikipedia

Says there are 105 Devil's Canyon. Which one is the picture from? I would love to see that place! Picture is incredible.

Think you mean Hell's Canyon

Says there are 105 Devil's Canyon. Which one is the picture from? I would love to see that place! Picture is incredible.

The one Ian and I are talking about is located on the juncture of ID/WA/OR. Beautiful, rugged country.

It just keeps getting better!

Had the Dakar out for a 100+ mile ride yesterday. Mostly to check out the spring maintenance work, and heck, just because I could get out then. :dance

I've ordered progressive springs and emulators for the front forks to keep them from felling like they want to bottom out all the time on the rough stuff. Will have the rear shock rebuilt next spring.

The 650 Dakar is really working out as a great bike for me. It has been very tolerant of my learning phase and just keeps showing me what it can do as my experience level increases. It even does pretty good when my wife and I ride two-up. The 15 tooth countershaft sprocket is giving me the added boost at slow speeds, and hasn't seemed to hurt top speed (for me that ~60-65 mph) at all. I'm sure it could still cruise at over 70 mph for hours at a time, but I don't like going that fast, and stay off freeways as much as possible anyway.

I've put over 6,000 miles on it now in the past year and one-half. What a great first bike. think it's also a keeper.

Attachments

• Dakar 5-19-11 #1.jpg
    Dakar 5-19-11 #1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 146
It's getting closer, Ian!

I'm leaving for Hell's canyon early the morning of Thursday, June 16th. That's 11 days from now. Hope to post some pics and a very short RR about the trip. :clap

be sure to ride out to Hat Point in Hell's Canyon... and note that there is a very nice, but primitive, campground there.

960517363_7wAoG-XL.jpg

ian

Hell's Canyon, aptly named:)

One of our USA most desolate spots to explore. Gets quite HOT in Summer too at the Snake River level. Rafting the river is exceptional if you ever get the op..Its such a cool refief from the heat down there in the depths of the Canyon. Another very nice camp is at the rivers edge at the very bottom above Oxbow Dam. Carry sunblock if on(rafting) the Snake R., as the Sun burns you quickly, reflecting off the water. Dirt byways there are easy to find and very remote, no service nearby, so go prepared with tons of water for drinking and trail mix:). Randy

Thanks for the info, Randy

I'm really looking forward to this trip. The bike is running great, the camping gear is pretty much in order, and the cooking equipment is all set. I'm really hoping for superb weather!

Looks like there are over 70 signed up to go, according to the ADV forum listing. Although I've camped for over 35 years, much of it for work as a field geologist, this will be my first camping adventure on a bike. Waaahooo!:brad

Back