• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Return to the Blue Ridge Parkway

Great Report! Thanks for posting. I just completed a trip that included the Tail of the Dragon and the Devil's Triangle. The highlight was 100 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway around Asheville NC. You can have all the rest, just give me more of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Great report and thanks for posting it! I remember riding the Skyline Drive way back during college, and would love to ride that and the BRP sometime. Maybe in the spring for the RA Rally down in Ashwville? Beautiful pics.

Your pictures only serve to whet the appetite. My wife and I planned to take a two motorcycle, round trip along the BRP in September of this year. However, as expenses began to mount with sending my daughter to college, funding for the trip dwindled. To truely enjoy the trip we decided to postpone the BPR trip until September of 2014. The logistical planning is already completed so it should be easy to resurrect the trip.

Before anyone asks why 2014 and not 2013 -- we can't go in 2013 as all vacation funding is going toward a 30 year wedding anniversary cruise that year. Just like the BRP, we've never been on a cruise either.

Last edited:
Helmet cam...

Terence,

I am hoping that you can share what your camera setup was for your vimeo video and maybe post a photo of the camera mounted to your helmet! I loved your video and have never had that kind of success with my gopro camera setup.

Great ride report.

Thanks for the videos E/W music.
Love the bike too. The earlier Ks had nicer bars and gauges; IMHO.
Next time visit Little Switzerland Inn and say hi to the owner, Gary.
He's a rider and a great guy. My wife and I were headed home to Florida
from there about the time you passed.

Nice report -

I rode the length of the Parkway back around 1978 or so - great pictures in your report!

Thanks for posting!

Terence,

I am hoping that you can share what your camera setup was for your vimeo video and maybe post a photo of the camera mounted to your helmet! I loved your video and have never had that kind of success with my gopro camera setup.

Steve,
Here's how the camera is mounted to my helmet. I use the standard settings and haven't really messed around with them. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it's in video mode with r4 resolution, which is default. PM me if you have questions and maybe I can help.

DSCN2594-S.jpg

DSCN2590-S.jpg

Your pictures only serve to whet the appetite. My wife and I planned to take a two motorcycle, round trip along the BRP in September of this year. However, as expenses began to mount with sending my daughter to college, funding for the trip dwindled. To truely enjoy the trip we decided to postpone the BPR trip until September of 2014. The logistical planning is already completed so it should be easy to resurrect the trip.

Before anyone asks why 2014 and not 2013 -- we can't go in 2013 as all vacation funding is going toward a 30 year wedding anniversary cruise that year. Just like the BRP, we've never been on a cruise either.

Last summer when I retired, I was also paid lump sum for my unused vacation time. We had already decided on a trip "somewhere" with some of the money. Then one day (before we even had the check or I actually retired) Donna comes to me and says "I decided for your retirement trip you need to plan us a trip on the whole length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and I want us to take our time." So last September we did just that. I think I'll keep her! :hug

I am inspired by your tale. I ve wanted to ride the whole length in one trip and have never been able to make it happen. Reaeing this has me planning for next spring. Thanks for the push.

Blue Ridge Summer 2012

I was also in that area at that time... Weather was Not so great.. Stayed in Little Switzerland. Good Bar..Good Beer Good Music..Lots of BIkes.. and sports cars.. Even in the crap weather.

Was still nice.. and I am going to try to go back next year.. ...Hopefully the weather will be better.. It looked like would be good views... But it was so foggy could not see anything...

Nice RR!:clap
Nice pix, as well. I, too, have ridden sections in intense fog and/or rain. As "they" say, no such thing as a bad day on a motorcycle! .

Listen, tho- I DO have one LITTLE complaint- no pix of the BSA!?!? :brow

I find no surprise in there being multiple post-season RRs on the BRP.
I just had a great November ride north from Roanoke to Front Royal.
I posted it Just Ridin', if anyone cares to see. Thread titled Solo On The BRP.
It was as solitary a ride as is possible on this wonderful stretch of roadway.

Someday, I WILL ride our "National Treasure" end to end.

265069FA-B67A-450E-81C5-2A7FA185329A-3327-00000566A8412FFF.jpg

Nice RR!:clap
Nice pix, as well. I, too, have ridden sections in intense fog and/or rain. As "they" say, no such thing as a bad day on a motorcycle! .

Listen, tho- I DO have one LITTLE complaint- no pix of the BSA!?!? :brow

I find no surprise in there being multiple post-season RRs on the BRP.
I just had a great November ride north from Roanoke to Front Royal.
I posted it Just Ridin', if anyone cares to see. Thread titled Solo On The BRP.
It was as solitary a ride as is possible on this wonderful stretch of roadway.

Someday, I WILL ride our "National Treasure" end to end.

265069FA-B67A-450E-81C5-2A7FA185329A-3327-00000566A8412FFF.jpg

If you ever get the opportunity, do the Parkway end to end and do it both ways on the same trip. I have done it twice and the Parkway is totally different when you do it in the opposite direction. The views and the roadway is an entirely different experience. I think we took five days, including most of a day in Cherokee, NC.

Back