• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

And for you errand runners...

Between my RT's side bags and a large duffle bag, a months stock up of groceries in the next town isn't to bad. Now if I can figure out why a trip to the post office which is two miles away in the car always takes at least forty miles on the bike!:clap

You slackers...

I have carried PVC pipe on my '99 Triumph Tiger, much like the picture earlier in this thread. I didn't find that much of a challenge, just have to remember not to back up. I have not had my RT long enough for any epic carrying. The large top box is very handy.

As a callow youth on a Honda S90, I hauled 4x8 sheets of plywood from the lumber store to the house, about two miles away. Only one possible stop at a left turn, otherwise just go.

The method for carrying it was:
1. affix something red to the trailing end to appease law enforcement.
2. put the edge of the plywood on the left passenger peg.
3. angle the plywood up under your left armpit.
If you do it correctly, your armpit is about a foot ahead of the passenger peg. You now can leverage the 4x8 between you and the peg The back six feet or so is just dangling there.

Never tried this with anything larger than 1/2". And my brother and I are pretty big guys. Passenger pegs have gotten higher over the years, don't know if I would try this with a sport bike or even the RT.

This was way before Youtube or even VHS cameras. We never took a picture because it was no big deal at the time. However, I was told one of my carrying adventures should have been on Youtube - carrying a pick I'd bought at a garage sale on the Tiger. Obviously I looked like I meant business...

Best regards,

Hank Murphy
2013 BMW R1200RT "Gretchen am Spinnrade"

This was way before Youtube or even VHS cameras. We never took a picture because it was no big deal at the time. However, I was told one of my carrying adventures should have been on Youtube - carrying a pick I'd bought at a garage sale on the Tiger. Obviously I looked like I meant business...

Best regards,

Hank Murphy
2013 BMW R1200RT "Gretchen am Spinnrade"
Welcome to the forum Hank.
Gary

Strapped a small (4hp) outboard boat motor to my Funduro a couple weeks ago. The looks I got going down the road were amazing! If I'd thought of it, a pic would've been good...

I used to regularly take my RT to pick up a couple case of wine at Trader Joes. A case would fit in each saddle bag. I would put the bottles individually in the basket and every employee would try to get me a wine box to put the bottles in. At check out the checker again tried to give me a box. I explained that the boxes wouldn't fit in my saddle bags. He said he couldn't believe I was on a mc and after he checked me out, he took his break and followed me to the parking lot. After I loaded the wine he said he wouldn't have believed it. I told him the only problem was if I went down on the way home they wouldn't even call an ambulance they would figure I bled out.

Back