• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Model Code for Each BMW Motorcycle

b25bsaboy

Good afternoon,

Thought I would throw a technical question to the masses.

Does anyone know what the BMW Model Code is in relation to the specific machine. As an example The BMW model code 0430 is for the R1200RT. My question is in that there must be a list some where that breaks this information out for the other model numbers.

Just look up the bike in question at http://www.realoem.com and you'll find the code.

You could do this and make a list.

Hi Kent,

Looked at the link and I am sorry but this is not quite what I am looking for. But I do appreciate your effort in trying to help me. I have attached below a sheet that I recieved from my dealer this morning and I'll explain where I am coming from the picture below.

Where you see WB1, this is the manufacture' code, no issue, but the 4, 5, 6, 7 digit is the model code which indicates the model, standard and optional equipment on your machine. In the case of my 2009 R1200RT, it would read WB1 0430 (BMW's code number for the R1200RT). It's the cross reference #'s for the model code that I am looking for.

The next issue is the Engine Power variant digit 8.

Here is an example of a Harley Davidson FXDF Dyna Fat Bob 105th Anniversary. By reading the serial number, I know that the bike matches what I am seeing.

The VIN Number *5HD1GY4408K320678* maybe decoded as follows:

ÔÇó 5 ÔÇô International
ÔÇó HD ÔÇô Harley Davidson
ÔÇó 1 ÔÇô Motorcycle Type (Heavy Weight (901 cc ÔÇô up))
ÔÇó GY- FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
ÔÇó 4 ÔÇô 1584cc ESPFI
ÔÇó 4 ÔÇô Regular induction Date
ÔÇó 0 ÔÇô Factory Check Digit
ÔÇó 8 ÔÇô Year of Manufacture
ÔÇó K- Kansas City Plant, MO
ÔÇó Last Six Digits Numerical is the Serial Number.

What I am looking for is that someone must have complied a list of the various models that has been cross referenced to a model code.

I am an accredited motorcycle appraiser for a number of insurance companies and have complied a list of each of the manufacture's and the BMW is one of the last I am working on.

Attachments

• BMW VIN Structure1.jpg
    BMW VIN Structure1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 356
Okay I will bite...

Good afternoon,

Thought I would throw a technical question to the masses.

Does anyone know what the BMW Model Code is in relation to the specific machine. As an example The BMW model code 0430 is for the R1200RT. My question is in that there must be a list some where that breaks this information out for the other model numbers.

Did you ask BMW? They create the bikes, they must know the code.

Try this...

Hi Kent,

Looked at the link and I am sorry but this is not quite what I am looking for. But I do appreciate your effort in trying to help me. I have attached below a sheet that I recieved from my dealer this morning and I'll explain where I am coming from the picture below.

Where you see WB1, this is the manufacture' code, no issue, but the 4, 5, 6, 7 digit is the model code which indicates the model, standard and optional equipment on your machine. In the case of my 2009 R1200RT, it would read WB1 0430 (BMW's code number for the R1200RT). It's the cross reference #'s for the model code that I am looking for.

The next issue is the Engine Power variant digit 8.

Here is an example of a Harley Davidson FXDF Dyna Fat Bob 105th Anniversary. By reading the serial number, I know that the bike matches what I am seeing.

The VIN Number *5HD1GY4408K320678* maybe decoded as follows:

ÔÇó 5 ÔÇô International
ÔÇó HD ÔÇô Harley Davidson
ÔÇó 1 ÔÇô Motorcycle Type (Heavy Weight (901 cc ÔÇô up))
ÔÇó GY- FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
ÔÇó 4 ÔÇô 1584cc ESPFI
ÔÇó 4 ÔÇô Regular induction Date
ÔÇó 0 ÔÇô Factory Check Digit
ÔÇó 8 ÔÇô Year of Manufacture
ÔÇó K- Kansas City Plant, MO
ÔÇó Last Six Digits Numerical is the Serial Number.

What I am looking for is that someone must have complied a list of the various models that has been cross referenced to a model code.

I am an accredited motorcycle appraiser for a number of insurance companies and have complied a list of each of the manufacture's and the BMW is one of the last I am working on.

Try going here: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html
Click "Service & Maintenance" at the top of page
Click "Rider's Manual" at left
On right of page you will see the alpha designation that starts the model followed by "models"
Clicking the "+" beside each reveals the model # designation of which I believe you are seeking.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Scot

Actually, the RealOEM site does contain all the model codes. From the screen that says "Select Your BMW Model" at the top, select "Motorcycle" in the first column (Product) and the series you want information about in the second column (Series). Model numbers will be displayed in the fourth column (Model).

If you select K26 (R 900 RT, R 1200 RT) under Series, you get the following under Model:

R 1200 RT 05 (0368, 0388)
R 1200 RT 10 (0430, 0440)
R 900 RT 05 SF (0367, 0387)
R 900 RT 10 SF (0330, 0340)

The first entry refers to models beginning in model year 2005 (hexheads). The second entry is for camheads. The model numbers are in parentheses. The first is for the rest of the world, and the second is for the US. The biggest difference is that US models have charcoal canisters and the rest do not.

Despite what the BMW printout says, the model number does not show individual options. ALL US R1200RT hexheads are model number 0388.

Try going here: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html
Click "Service & Maintenance" at the top of page
Click "Rider's Manual" at left
On right of page you will see the alpha designation that starts the model followed by "models"
Clicking the "+" beside each reveals the model # designation of which I believe you are seeking.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Scot

Scott,

This is exactly what the doctor ordered and your the winner of the $ 64,000. dollar monopoly money.:wave

Thanks for the guidance.

Actually, the RealOEM site does contain all the model codes. From the screen that says "Select Your BMW Model" at the top, select "Motorcycle" in the first column (Product) and the series you want information about in the second column (Series). Model numbers will be displayed in the fourth column (Model).

If you select K26 (R 900 RT, R 1200 RT) under Series, you get the following under Model:

R 1200 RT 05 (0368, 0388)
R 1200 RT 10 (0430, 0440)
R 900 RT 05 SF (0367, 0387)
R 900 RT 10 SF (0330, 0340)

The first entry refers to models beginning in model year 2005 (hexheads). The second entry is for camheads. The model numbers are in parentheses. The first is for the rest of the world, and the second is for the US. The biggest difference is that US models have charcoal canisters and the rest do not.

Despite what the BMW printout says, the model number does not show individual options. ALL US R1200RT hexheads prior to 2010 are model number 0388.

fixed

Thank you again to all that commented and gave direction. The thing that I find amazing about the BMW MOA group, is that everyone is willing to share information and give guidance.

Asked this very question with regards to that marques VIN number on it's rice burner (no pun intended) site and have yet to get any response.

Again, Thank you!
:ca:twirl

Fixed why? As I stated earlier in my post, R1200RT 05 refers to hexheads, R1200RT 10 refers to camheads.

Karl,

You raise a good point and for a newby such as me, what is the difference between a Hexhead verses a Camhead and what years did the separation begin?

Karl,

You raise a good point and for a newby such as me, what is the difference between a Hexhead verses a Camhead and what years did the separation begin?

Hexheads are the 2008 to 2009 R1200s. They have a hexagonal shaped cylinder head with the spark plug cover running horizontally. Camheads are the 2010+ R1200s with the dual overhead cam cylinder heads and the spark plug cover running vertically.

Fixed why? As I stated earlier in my post, R1200RT 05 refers to hexheads, R1200RT 10 refers to camheads.

Sorry. I read that last line (ALL US R1200RT hexheads are model number 0388.) at least six times before posting that "clarification" and somehow missed "hexheads" each time.

Back