• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where to advertise an old K-bike.

tinytrains

Still plays with trains.
Where is the best place to list old K-bikes for sale?

The dealers here do not want them and tell me you cannot give them away in Southern California. They seem to be correct, I have several listings up and have received no response.

The IBMWR sales area is down due to SW problems, and I hear too many horror stories about Craig's list.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(I have left out details to hopefully comply with the no advertising rule).

Thanks.
Scott

Did you try the K-bike forum? Facebook BMW classifieds? Moto-brick forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MOA Marketplace will reach like minded buyers.

Craigslist is easiest in reaching local buyers. Never had any issues, just use reasonable caution.

:dance:dance:dance

"Hey I'll buy it for my brother, he's stationed overseas. I can PayPal a few hundred over cost for the inconvenience. I can send a truck and a guy I know to pick it up."

Said every Craiglist scammer...

"Hey I'll buy it for my brother, he's stationed overseas. I can PayPal a few hundred over cost for the inconvenience. I can send a truck and a guy I know to pick it up."

Said every Craiglist scammer...

Obviously, those are the ones that you don't deal with. Duh

Cash in hand. Valid ID only.

Most of the horror stories are from people not taking reasonable caution whether it be a phone scam, an email scam or any other type of scam.

The IBMWR Marketplace is back up now. Cycletrader gets good traffic, and for all its myriad of problems, so does Craigslist. But, the reality remains that you can hardly give one of them away. I am currently overspending on a K1100RS build that would be a total financial train wreck, were I to tire of the finished product. Most likely my son will get it one day.

Thanks guys.

I have it listed here, K-bike forums and Adv Rider (not really he right place).

I will check IBMWR again. I also may try the classic section on Cycle Trader.

Around these parts people get robbed and killed on CL. Not often, but it does happen.

Scott

I've sold a number of Ks via Craigslist. Yeah, I hear all the horror stories, but haven't experienced them firsthand. I'm in a smaller, more rural market, so definitely not Southern Calif.
For bikes with so little value as old Ks, your local market is going to be your target. I can't imagine anyone travelling or paying shipment for such a bike.

I've sold a number of Ks via Craigslist. Yeah, I hear all the horror stories, but haven't experienced them firsthand. I'm in a smaller, more rural market, so definitely not Southern Calif.
For bikes with so little value as old Ks, your local market is going to be your target. I can't imagine anyone travelling or paying shipment for such a bike.

Funny. That is the opposite of what my dealer said. She told me "Your best bet was to advertise it in the mid-west. They often drive a long way for one." Who knows. Just got to find the right person.

I may end up donating it to charity and taking the write off. Sad. It is all very sad. Due to health conditions my riding days are numbered, just don't know how many. I will keep my R1200R as long as I can ride, but want to get K out of the way now since it is hard to sell.

Scott

Demand for Kbikes?

Craigslist has worked well for me, for both buying and selling bikes and parts.
I do not commute on a bike,(you want horror stories, see LA traffic) but ride about 15-20 thousand miles a year, mostly in California.
It seems to me that the early Kbikes are probably hibernating in the garage. (I do not see many out and about)
Most people probably don't know anything about them, so put some thought into your ad, make it pop compared to the other ads.*

This showed up at an AirHead tech day in San Diego last month.
K75 Kafe.jpg
Got to ride a K75S & a K1100RS a couple thousand miles, and enjoyed them both.
Bill
Just South of Torrance
* I'm an AirHead that couldn't sell water in the desert.

Last edited:
Yes they are rare birds in LA. And yes I know LA traffic. I commuted to work on my bike for 40 years, the last 20 from Torrance to Fullerton. Breathing car exhaust is probably what messed up my lungs.

Scott

That pesky 91, I know it well.
It was the first freeway around here I remember getting "car pool lanes", in the beginning you could drive in it solo except during the rush hours morning and evening M thru F.
HA!
Bill

Didn't think of this till now, but you could try giving Tim at Century Motorcycles in San Pedro a call, 310-832-6190 . There's usually a diverse collection of used bikes for sale. Some are on consignment.

Last edited:
Trying to sell a K

I feel your pain. Had mine on Craigs list for two months and got two responses. Both came and rode but didn't buy. Both claimed not enough power (pop). It was obvious that they had no experience with K's which are long legged and built to go distance. l have taken my K 75 RT off the market and plan on only riding it distances. It is too pristine to give away only 25,000 miles and recently fully serviced including splines. Recently just too hot to go far. My alternative is a 500cc Enfield for the short hops and pure enjoyment. Purchased that one new and have ridden over 16,000 miles without incident. Now for the help part -- On the second Sunday of each month between the hours of two and four there is a vintage meet in Huntington Beach. On Brookhurst just beyond Garfield at "Castaneda's Mexican Restaurant "--The usual attendance if over one hundred vintage and modern bikes. Everyone is welcome and there is no charge. I have traded some bikes there. Might be an opportunity for you to attend, this Sunday. I will be there on my K. -----( www.Vintage Bike OC.com ) check it out. Hope to meet you there, Scotty Brown (Scotsman) (Whizzkd@cox,net)

Craigslist has worked well for me, for both buying and selling bikes and parts.
I do not commute on a bike,(you want horror stories, see LA traffic) but ride about 15-20 thousand miles a year, mostly in California.
It seems to me that the early Kbikes are probably hibernating in the garage. (I do not see many out and about)
Most people probably don't know anything about them, so put some thought into your ad, make it pop compared to the other ads.*

This showed up at an AirHead tech day in San Diego last month.
View attachment 69677
Got to ride a K75S & a K1100RS a couple thousand miles, and enjoyed them both.
Bill
Just South of Torrance
* I'm an AirHead that couldn't sell water in the desert.
I've been thinking of doing something like this bike to one of my K1200LT's.

I've been thinking of doing something like this bike to one of my K1200LT's.

Harder to do with the newer bikes that have the plastic gas tanks hidden under the tupperware. If you remove the tupperware, everything that is left exposed (plastic fuel tank, electronic modules, wireing, etc.) looks like hell. Not really the cafe look you're after.

K11s and earlier work better for a cafe project.:dunno

Back