• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 1250rt owner. Questions about first service and a passenger

imperialstout

First off -- been a BMW rider for about 20 years. The RT is my 4th BMW and I still have my 1150GSAdv which I love. She is family. Its been a few years since I was an active rider. Would ride on and off through out the year but I'm taking this hobby back on. I picked up a new 1250RT last week and its been fun to both ride and farkle shop. Can I ask a few questions?

- the shop near me closed (sad....) - what is involved in the 600 mile service? Assuming that with enough YouTube I can do this service myself or should I find a dealer? Been fixing bicycles most of my life but never tried a motorcycle. Is it Oil, Trans, and Final Drive fluid change or is it more involved? I'm patiently waiting for JVB's Shiftcam videos

- the right glove box holds the iPod cable but honestly how does one fit a phone in there? It’s a tight fit to say the least.

- this is a fun ride. Bought it so that the girlfriend is more comfortable when we ride together. Any suggestions or changes to the RT for her comfort? Top box is coming but just trying to think through what else for her.

I'm currently planning on a deep rehab for the Adventure. There are spots of rust but with only 35k miles, she deserves a solid restore. Loved taking her out to the fireroads the other day around me.

Great to meet you all. Intros are hard.

I took both of our 2016 R1200RSs to the dealer for the 600 mile check. After that I've been doing the service.
I have a GS-911 so I can clear the service reminder and I plan to take the bikes in every couple years for a computer update.
My service list for the 600 mile check should be the same as your R1250 except for the steering head bearing.

600 Mile Check R1200RS_LI.jpg

I just picked up my new RT this weekend, but previously had a 2016 RT.

I agree with you about the cubby for the phone. Mine won’t fit in there, either, and it’s a standard size phone.

I believe the 600 mile or so service is just an oil change and check of all the fasteners to make sure all is secure. I don’t have the manual in front of me, but I believe the first service is done anywhere between 375 to 750 miles or so. There is only one thing checked on the schedule, but I didn’t see it explained as to what that first service actually involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took both of our 2016 R1200RSs to the dealer for the 600 mile check. After that I've been doing the service.
I have a GS-911 so I can clear the service reminder and I plan to take the bikes in every couple years for a computer update.
My service list for the 600 mile check should be the same as your R1250 except for the steering head bearing.

View attachment 75912

Interesting Lee.. Thanks for this!

I agree with you about the cubby for the phone. Mine won’t fit in there, either, and it’s a standard size phone.

I believe the 600 mile or so service is just an oil change and check of all the fasteners to make sure all is secure. I don’t have the manual in front of me, but I believe the first service is done anywhere between 375 to 750 miles or so. There is only one thing checked on the schedule, but I didn’t see it explained as to what that first service actually involved.

Yeah -- I may have to get creative about the phone.. I use it for maps and music so its important. Spending $1K on a GPS was not high on my list.....

With all my bikes I always have the dealer do the 600 mile service. This way there is a record of your bike at the dealer and if there is an update of any kind they can do that too.
I also do the brake flush on an annual basis for the same reason. YMMV

With all my bikes I always have the dealer do the 600 mile service. This way there is a record of your bike at the dealer and if there is an update of any kind they can do that too.
I also do the brake flush on an annual basis for the same reason. YMMV

I find having them do the first service will also give you a feeling of how the service department operates.
OM

I find having them do the first service will also give you a feeling of how the service department operates.
OM

Yeah wish I could do that - but with the dealer closed I'm in a different planet. I appreciate its a special case. Guess I could call around to others within a 4 hour drive and see if they could do the 600 mile on a "ride in" basis.

Yeah wish I could do that - but with the dealer closed I'm in a different planet. I appreciate its a special case. Guess I could call around to others within a 4 hour drive and see if they could do the 600 mile on a "ride in" basis.

A growing problem unfortunately. I have done it with an appointment. Lots of threads lately on dealerships closing. I just received an email from Max BMW that their pick up program is in effect. Probably too far but what the heck, you can try.
OM

Welcome to the club. You will love that bike! Mars Red MEtallic is the fastest color, by the way. :thumb

- this is a fun ride. Bought it so that the girlfriend is more comfortable when we ride together. Any suggestions or changes to the RT for her comfort? Top box is coming but just trying to think through what else for her.

My wife is fine with the 49 L topcase. She did NOT like the Givi 56 L topcase on our rental in England; the back rest pad was too straight and made her uncofortable.

As for the seat, all we add is our Alaska Leathers sheepskin covers. We have done a ride over 5 hours long, however, restroom breaks every 2.5 really do not necessitate using anything else. If you know what I mean. HA

Cheers,
William

Road TRIP!!!!!!

A growing problem unfortunately. I have done it with an appointment. Lots of threads lately on dealerships closing. I just received an email from Max BMW that their pick up program is in effect. Probably too far but what the heck, you can try.
OM

Welcome to the club. You will love that bike! Mars Red MEtallic is the fastest color, by the way. :thumb

My wife is fine with the 49 L topcase. She did NOT like the Givi 56 L topcase on our rental in England; the back rest pad was too straight and made her uncofortable.

As for the seat, all we add is our Alaska Leathers sheepskin covers. We have done a ride over 5 hours long, however, restroom breaks every 2.5 really do not necessitate using anything else. If you know what I mean. HA

Cheers,
William

I went with blue. I need to figure out how to reduce my file size of the bike.

Sheepskin covers. Will look into this and I appreciate your honest ideas. $1k on a new seat is big. Will research!

Are you saying the right cubby won't accommodate something like iPhone 6s? Did your phone fit in the '16 cubby? Mine does along with a charging cable so I can charge while flying in my '16.

I have a Samsung S9 and, with the charging cord attached, it won’t fit in the right cubby.

Bought it so that the girlfriend is more comfortable when we ride together. Any suggestions or changes to the RT for her comfort? Top box is coming but just trying to think through what else for her.

Yes. Get Russell Day-Long saddles.

https://day-long.com/gallery/bmw/

Russell-saddles.jpg

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10 with a skin, it fit with the cord but the key is to have 90 degree USB. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RDDTQ6T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've got an S9 with an Otter Defender Case which makes it too large to fit.

What cases are others finding will fit? I like the protection of the Defender, but not being able to fit it in the compartment is frustrating. Really can't figure out what BMW designers were thinking, even if they simply changed the opening and kept the internal size a lot more items might fit. Poor packaging/ergo design.

Get a tank bag. It will hold more than one phone, plus charging cords, a power bank, maps, reading glasses, to name a few.IMG_0105-1 (2).JPG

I've got an S9 with an Otter Defender Case which makes it too large to fit.

What cases are others finding will fit? I like the protection of the Defender, but not being able to fit it in the compartment is frustrating. Really can't figure out what BMW designers were thinking, even if they simply changed the opening and kept the internal size a lot more items might fit. Poor packaging/ergo design.

Alan, the S10 is a little larger then the S9, my S10 fits with the Pelican Protector and the earlier posted USB wire. The Pelican provides great protection.

Back