• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking of trading an 09 RT for a 14' K1300s.

willhawks

Tired of the weight of the 1200RT and looking for something with less fairing as well as lighter weight. Looking at a K1300s with a touring shield, bags and a tank bag. 1300 has less then 6k; suspect someone bought it and scared the sh#t out of themselves. 67 years old and can't wrestle 700 lbs any more. Any and all feedback is welcome. Would love info on bar backs, footpeg lowering and touring windshields.

Many thanks,

Bill

Tired of the weight of the 1200RT and looking for something with less fairing as well as lighter weight. Looking at a K1300s with a touring shield, bags and a tank bag. 1300 has less then 6k; suspect someone bought it and scared the sh#t out of themselves. 67 years old and can't wrestle 700 lbs any more. Any and all feedback is welcome. Would love info on bar backs, footpeg lowering and touring windshields.

Many thanks,

Bill

after all those mods to a k1300S, you have basically made it a K1300GT with no cruise control. have you looked at those?

K1300's are in the mid 500lb range....have you ridden one?

Had a 05RT and a K12S, the S seemed lower but as heavy at slow speed. And yes, the first time I called for Warp 7 from my wrist, I might have scared myself just a bit as well. :eek A lot of power delivered very smoothly.

The power band is so not a Boxer RT but a nice bike and great for touring for one.
I had H's niece on pillion once and it just felt weird...bike and the need for her to hang on! Maybe if I was 20 and she wasn't my niece would not have felt strange doing the two up on a sportbike.At 59 it was awkward.

I did a few long trips on mine with stock screen, worked fine most the time unless really cold to me. Even with heated gear, you needed more layers to block windchill, I had a insulated panel I would put under jacket on very cold rides.
I just do not see many S's with a tall screen, but sure MRA may have one. The guys we ride with on trips that had S's all had stock screens.
H has Verholen risers on hers and when we used to swap bikes, very noticeable difference to me in riding position as it sat more upright even though only maybe an inch difference in up and back.
Have ridden one GT with lowered pegs, if long legged a plus I would have liked on my S. Harder for me to stretch a leg on the K than the RT, but everyones different.

The K1300S will likely be no lighter than the ‘09 RT and will probably be more cumbersome to move around the garage or parking lot. It will have a more aggressive riding posture along with minimally functional wind and weather protection as well as smaller and less functional luggage than the RT.

IMHO it sounds like the bike the OP should really be looking at is an R1200R, maybe equipped with a Parabellum Scout fairing and a set of BMW saddlebags. Lighter than the RT, a LOT less plastic to deal with, and still a very functional and enjoyable bike for touring and general use—especially for someone used to a more upright seating position. If I were the OP, I’d keep shopping.

Best,
DG

What are you waiting for? Buy the 1300 and prepare for Warp 7. :laugh

If you need/want barbacks, these ones are cheap, effective and dead simple to install.... https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/bar-backs---k1200s

With fuel and luggage the 1300 will weigh about 550 pounds so no real advantage over an RT and it might even be heavier. I've found the engine on my 1200 to be very flexible and DEAD SMOOTH at any speed. The 1300 is the same.

But with 170hp, give or take, when you pull the cadmium rods out of the reactor (twist the throttle), you get where you're going RIGHT NOW. Add a taller screen if you need one. I've found my S to give me good wind protection down to 3 degrees Celcius. I was comfortable even without heated gear. Your Results May Vary.

Plus, you'll be joining an elite group of discerning motorcyclists who know no equal. I'm not sure why I say that. :D

What are you waiting for? Buy the 1300 and prepare for Warp 7. :laugh

If you need/want barbacks, these ones are cheap, effective and dead simple to install.... https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/bar-backs---k1200s

With fuel and luggage the 1300 will weigh about 550 pounds so no real advantage over an RT and it might even be heavier. I've found the engine on my 1200 to be very flexible and DEAD SMOOTH at any speed. The 1300 is the same.

But with 170hp, give or take, when you pull the cadmium rods out of the reactor (twist the throttle), you get where you're going RIGHT NOW. Add a taller screen if you need one. I've found my S to give me good wind protection down to 3 degrees Celcius. I was comfortable even without heated gear. Your Results May Vary.

Plus, you'll be joining an elite group of discerning motorcyclists who know no equal. I'm not sure why I say that. :D

I have those bar backs and love them. :thumb
They make riding my 1300S much more comfortable.

I just do not see many S's with a tall screen, but sure MRA may have one. The guys we ride with on trips that had S's all had stock screens.

A tall screen ruins the look of a K1300S.
Most of the aftermarket shields I have seen were a different shape than stock, but not much taller.

Many thanks,

Bill

I'm 6' and Debbie is 5' 10" and we found the K1300S comfortable on long days without any mods, but we're used to the sport touring riding position.
I was 60 when we traded the S bikes for R1200RSs.

I have a 2009 1200rt and it weighs 609 ibs about not 700 at all, I looked at three bikes last summer and finally settled on the this one, tried a 2003 extremely low miles Goldwing, had one before, this one was 1800, fantastic but it felt too heavy, it looked like a new bike, champagne color, all bells and whistles, then a Suzuki 1500, looked like an old police Harley, way too heavy too, I think I weigh about 140 ibs but not sure, I'm working at gaining weight and building muscles as you need then really for riding, I love the way the Japanese police ride although they don't do a lot of touring normally. I'm relearning to ride after 30 years of not being able to because life happened and i'm retired now, I also had three really bad car accidents, non my fault that messed my back up really good, riding isn't really bothering it much, driving an auto does.

Considering a 2014 BMW K1300S

I've not ridden any model year of the RT so I have no way to compare it to the 2014 BMW K1300S you're considering but I did own a 2009 K1300S for nine years. That motorcycle weighs in at 560 lbs. fully fueled but it carries its weight rather high and because of the long wheelbase it doesn't move off course very easily. That is to say that you can't toss it from side to side the way you might want to with a sport bike as you rip through the twisties. It also means that it's a great interstate cruise missile and will cover a lot of ground in a hurry. The tight rider triangle never bothered me but doesn't leave a lot of room to move around on long trips and the low windshield means your helmet will get battered around a bit by wind. For me it was all part of the enjoyment of motorcycling. The other part of that was the motor -- twisting the throttle would make you forget about every issue that bike and you have. I don't think of it as the ideal two up bike but it can be done -- I'd be more inclined to call it a gentlemen's high speed sport tourer.

One other thing... the K1300 models that were produced from 2009 to 2016 addressed niggling issues that existed with the K1200 model that preceded it. These including fueling and a somewhat snatchy throttle response (though some riders preferred that to the K1300's very linear throttle response). There were some other lesser things but I considered it the better of the two alternatives for me and I suspect you will enjoy it.

Kent

I am on my second k13s and had 2 k12s bikes before, so I am a bit prejudice when it comes to these bikes. Like some have said, the S is very comfortable on long trips. Perhaps not as comfortable as an RT, but I rode mine back from Colorado last year doing 12 hours days with no ill effects, and I'm 65. Riding position is definitely more aggressive than the RT, but very comfortable. One bike that the OP might check out is the R1250RS. Definitely sportier than the RT, especially in it's looks. I test rode one last year and found it had plenty of HP and turned beautifully.

Back