• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2002 K1200RS Tires?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
2002 K1200RS

I apologize for the omission of "RS" in the original thread title. :banghead

Sorry if this is redundant... I can't ever seem to sort a proper search in the MOA forum...

BUT I'm ready for tires for my K12. First time around with tires for this, so I don't know which way to go...
But a supposedly new pair of Bridgestone BT023s are worn out after one summer and a few miles this spring.

Metzler?
Pirelli?
Michelin?
Continental?

What does everyone get the best mileage out of on their K12s?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
LT or GT?

What kind of riding do you do? Slab or twisties?

What are your priorities? Handleing, mileage, wet weather?

It's like asking what is the best shoe. Depends on what you're going to do with it. Run, walk, hike, climb,work, ride.

:dance:dance:dance

4 Brands, apparent sport touring models, and prices at American Moto Tire dot com:

Metzler: Z6 RoadTec
F: 119.00
R: 147.07

Pirelli: Diablo Rosso II
F: 110.23
R: 140.03

Continental: Conti Motion
F:71.00
R: 95.91

Michelin: Pilot Road 2
F: 120.74
R: 175.78

LT or GT?

What kind of riding do you do? Slab or twisties?

What are your priorities? Handleing, mileage, wet weather?

It's like asking what is the best shoe. Depends on what you're going to do with it. Run, walk, hike, climb,work, ride.

:dance:dance:dance

My bad. RS. Will adjust thread title.

I ride slightly more than just some slab,
ride LOTS of twisties,
do two-up & solo touring more or less fully loaded,
and ride in all weather conditions- except snow & ice.

My priorities would be NOT having to put new tires on for each summer's use... fair enough (IMO) considering I have 4 bikes to split each season's riding. I got this bike last May (slightly more than one year ago) and the "brand new" BT023 rear tire is COMPLETELY knackered. Front... could probably make half of the summer this year... but I'm going to put a matched set of...something on ASAP. And it WON'T be Bridgestone. :hungover

My K12RS is currently running Michelin Pilot Road 2s. I like the feel, and the wet traction. Good ride quality, too. I can't speak to mileage because a nail took out the rear, so I got to start over.
Previously ran Dunlop Roadsmart. The rear was fine with it's dual compound, but the front lacked that feature and wore out in about 8k miles. I've written them off and will go with dual (or triple compound) until something better comes along.

Depending on roads and your style and wrist action using a fairly common tire as a standard, the Michelin PR3 can get few as 4000 miles to 9000. Some might squeak out 10,000 or a tad more and some will smoke them up with agressive 2 up time in 3000. It is similar with other brands. The feel and handling will be a very different factor however. Figure an average of 8000 for most of those you mentioned. Find the tire that best fits your riding focus.
NCS

You might also consider Avon ultra storms and Dunlop Road smarts. FWIW. The old Metzler Z6 were my longest lived tire by 10% more miles but after trying others were my least choice.

Michelin RP3s

Called my local BMW dealership, where my K12RS was already scheduled for some minor work this week. Turns out they have Michelin Road Pilot 3s in stock...
Done deal. Should have the bike back for this weekend! Never having had a set of Michelins on a motorcycle before, I'm anxious to see how this works out. Just completed a 1400 mile trip to North Carolina/Tennessee/Virgina, and no other "big" trips planned for this year. With several other bikes to ride, these should last well into next summer.

Any experience/stories/input on the RP3s would be appreciated

Called my local BMW dealership, where my K12RS was already scheduled for some minor work this week. Turns out they have Michelin Road Pilot 3s in stock...

The PR3 is a popular tire for the K1200RS. I think you'll be happy with them.

Currently have Michelin PR2's on my '02 RS. Great tires, but will replace with PR3's when the PR2's wear out. Lots of choices, but this is where I'm spending my $$$.

I am on my 20th tire set and first set of PR2ct for this bike and other than a large punture at 620 miles on the rear....I love them as much on this bike as I did on my K1300S. I have run everything from Dunlops205s and 220s, to BT 010/020 combos, Mich Power, MEz6, and even a set of Mich DOT race compound for track days and finished them out on the street one summer totalling 2100 miles. Of all, my bike performed the best with the BT 010/020 combo. But these PR2ct are feeling mighty good. Can't wait to get my rebuilt Wilbers shock back from the Beemershop and go riding again. (just shipped to him this morning...it is 11 yrs old with nearly 100,000 miles on it! Nitrogen gone, again But it has been essentially unridden for 3 years)

Those PR3 should be the ticket!

Back