• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Camping/RV to Hotel/Motel Ratios...

grafikfeat

What's the typical ratio of hoteling to site camping?

Do we REALLY need to have 2000 rooms in close proximity?
Missoula had/has 2000 rooms? Puh Leeeze.

Seems like a pretty lame reason to disqualify a site suggestion IMHO.

60-65% camp, 35-40% motel. We aren't the only folks needing rooms. There are always business travelers and other people traveling that book available rooms.

60-65% camp, 35-40% motel. We aren't the only folks needing rooms. There are always business travelers and other people traveling that book available rooms.

So is it fair to assume that the percentage of RV's must be very low, in the 1-2% range? If so, I wonder if that's more a result of the general lack of RV sites with hookups, or if RV's are just that uncommon. We've taken our motorhome to several nationals where we have camped at a private campground rather than the rally grounds. Lima is the last location we attended that had sites with full hookups available.

So is it fair to assume that the percentage of RV's must be very low, in the 1-2% range? If so, I wonder if that's more a result of the general lack of RV sites with hookups, or if RV's are just that uncommon. We've taken our motorhome to several nationals where we have camped at a private campground rather than the rally grounds. Lima is the last location we attended that had sites with full hookups available.

I took my RV to the rally in Johnson City where they had full hookups on the grounds. I took it only because it was close to home. I don't take it to distant rallys because I miss the fun of riding to get there and the cost of gas to get my RV to a distant rally exceeds the cost of a motel or B & B.

RVs more popular;

I've attended most all the recent year rallies and RVs have been huge at a few rallies. I think it went over 200+ RVs, one year recently. I can tell ya one thing, this turns into a motel rally in future years(not likely), I'm a gone'r from this. I've enjoyed the camping too much to imagine giving it up and maybe as i grow older I can change, but not there yet:). RVs I can accept and motels too, but lets NOT get crazy with room requirements for rally sites, imo...You room folks go buy an RV:)...:thumb:usaRandy

but lets NOT get crazy with room requirements for rally sites, imo...You room folks go buy an RV:)...:thumb:usaRandy

I have been in the BMWMOA since 1987 and have gone to 10 International Rallies and we have always stayed in Motels. If I could not get a Motel that is close I would not go.
As for a RV, never.

At virtually every rally I've attended (all but Moodus in '93 since Missoula in '84) there have been campers, folks in motels, and some RVs. There is a lot more motel use now than back then. RV use has grown a bit, as it has with the general public.

We've camped at most rallies but have stayed in a motel a few times. The reason: hot weather. We camped at Bloomsburg. I wasn't expecting hot. I booked a room at Sedalia from my tent in Bloomsburg. I am expecting hot, but can cancel the room if it isn't. I probably won't. The little motel is one block from the fairgrounds.

I suspect that for as long as I am riding I will have the choice to camp, stay at a motel, bring an RV, or commute at an MOA rally.

Last edited:
I am happy to have a motel room but know that the MOA staff books the best closest Motel for the Ambassadors and Vendors, so I will book my room sometimes 11 months before the event. Its all a matter of getting there first.

I'll be packing my room on the back of the bike when the time comes, and finding an appropriate place to set it up when I get there.:brad

If everything goes right next year, we'll be hauling out in our RV. From there we're headed on to San Antonio. The fact is, not everyone is up with the RV'ing lifestyle. Just as not everyone will pitch a tent. Fact of life.

Back