• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead gas tank will not unlock correctly. Locking mechanism broken in Cap,

benbag

Since running out of gas through an inability to fill the tank is not a serious option, does anyone have any experience of this error in a forty -year old Beemer airhead, and have any suggestions of things to try to remove the old cap and replace, or alternatively to fix this error?

i have a 72 /5 toaster tank and replaced the tank cap with a chrome locking type that i was able to have keyed to match the fork lock
you should be able to remove the hing pin on the old cap to get it off
it is a split spring kind of affair
at least it was on mine
you should be able to tap it out with a narrow punch
good luck

I put /7 tank on my /6...both airheads....anyway, that tank came with the screw on type of gas cap. If I closed it tightly...WATCH OUT!!!....The only way I found of getting it off was to put something through the hoop of the handle and pull UP and unscrew as hard as I could......NEVER TO TIGHTEN IT AGAIN for over the next 100K that I had that bike......Someplace, probably Snowbum, I read a cure of drilling a certain size hole and doing something else to surefire fix this...……..GOOD LUCK and God bless...…..Dennis

Tku, yes it is a 1982 R100/7 Beemer, well loved and looked after.

More info regarding your airhead as different years have different caps.

1982 R100/7 well looked after.
Later this afternnon the cap released. and now I am headed to the gas station.
But I am afeared to put a defective cap back in tight. Any other input most appreciated!

1982 R100/7 well looked after.
Later this afternnon the cap released. and now I am headed to the gas station.
But I am afeared to put a defective cap back in tight. Any other input most appreciated!

Once in a while I buff the gas cap threads on the cap and tank and give them a coat of anti-seize paste. I also put some penetrating oil down the keyway and the crack between the lock and the cap and work the locking mechanism. It seems to help avoid stuck gas cap syndrome.

Having been in the same situation with a spinning gas cap I never tighten mine down till it clicks. I followed Snowbums advice and put in a locking screw.
The alternative is to buy a new expensive cap.

Had inop cap on r65 once

79 R65 had unpredictable cap. Being reasonable with it was never a working solution. Forget putting max pressure sidewise as you twist. Forget incantations to various Beemer gods, or even more generic ones. Greased the treads & later,unthinkingly, spoiled a shirt. Silicone spray won't last. What it needed was a sharp smack to break uncooperative bond. Ended up I'd carry a 5" rubber handled screwdriver. The softer (thus grabbier) the rubber the better. Lean handle for best angle/grab & wack screwdriver head. Ball peen probably best, tho whatever stone is handy will do. No more prob.

Back