• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can Am Spyder ! Is it ok for beginner?

Good deal :thumb
Post a picture when the weather improves.

We picked up the Spyder this weekend since it was warmer and sunnier.
Sylvia put some serious seat time and love the new toy. She feel much more comfortabl on the tricyle than on th Suzuki Burgman.

She's all smile,..

.Syl_Spyder.jpg

Experienced Can Am rider

Throwing in my 5 cents.
I retired in 2017 and wanted to get back into riding. Still had my '86 K100 RT, but I was having balance issues. A friend had recently purchased a Spyder RT Limited and he & his wife just loved it. Long story short, he bought a newer Spyder and we ended up with his old one. Upon retirement we did a trip to Newfoundland to visit an old friend. Had a trailer for the whole trip. Yes, you don't ride it like a a motorcycle. Yes, I was a little nervous at first around corners, etc. BUT, after a few rides I was happily riding at speed. My Spyder is a semiautomatic; you shift up (no clutch), it shifts down (or you can manually). When you come to a stop, the bike will be in 1st. My wife and I both love the Spyder. It is VERY SAFE; has all the "nannies" so you don't tip the bike. One pedal to control the brakes. Cruise control, power steering, lots of storage space, very good protection, etc. I would recommend it to anyone, but especially ladies. Just don't expect to ride it like a motorcycle! If you've driven an ATV, that's what it rides like.

Sounds extremely BORING to me :).

It is only boring if you drive it to be. You can Also drive an S1000RR in a boring way if that floats your boat as well.
Have you ever drifted a corner at 75 mph with a Spyder,.... I have. It was just as thrilling as my old 1985 RZ500 2-stroke V4.

Over the last year I've gotten more interested in the Can-Am Spyder. Since the Ryker came out, I'm even more interested. The Ryker doesn't have all the storage and frills that the Spyder has, which suits my style of riding just fine. I'd probably want the 900cc engine versus the 600cc.

Anyone here have experience with the new Ryker?

CanAmRyker.jpg

I like the weight of the Ryker: the 600cc is 590 lbs dry and the 900cc is 610 lbs dry. That puts the wet (curb) weight of the 900cc machine at about 630 lbs, about the same weight as my K1200RS, which is my heaviest bike.

Just had a bad thought. If I were to buy a Can-Am Ryker or Spyder, used or new, I would have to deal with Ridenow Powersports for service -- they are the only dealer within a 100+ miles. I really don't like them. That may be a deal-breaker for me.

I will have to investigate on the Spyder and Ryker forums about self-servicing them.

Over the last year I've gotten more interested in the Can-Am Spyder. Since the Ryker came out, I'm even more interested. The Ryker doesn't have all the storage and frills that the Spyder has, which suits my style of riding just fine. I'd probably want the 900cc engine versus the 600cc.

Anyone here have experience with the new Ryker?

View attachment 74651

Interesting.....This is the first I have seen of it.
OM

Just checked pricing-
Ryker 600 will start at $8,499; Ryker 900 starts at $9,999; and Ryker Rally Edition, will begin at $10,999. By contrast, the 2019 Can-Am Spyder will start at $15,999 and goes up to $24,999. This aggressive pricing is at the heart of Can-Am's strategy to attract new riders to the Ryker.Oct 18, 2018
Sounds real reasonable.

Just had a bad thought. If I were to buy a Can-Am Ryker or Spyder, used or new, I would have to deal with Ridenow Powersports for service -- they are the only dealer within a 100+ miles. I really don't like them. That may be a deal-breaker for me.

Are you near Austin? There are dealers in Boerne and New Braunfels.

I will have to investigate on the Spyder and Ryker forums about self-servicing them.

Stay far away from RideNow, their reputation proceeds them and it's not good. :thumb

Getting back to the original question, very few of my three wheel beginning rider course students have a two wheel endorsement coming into the course.....for a variety of reasons. What they do have is a desire to "ride", even if they don't necessarily define "ride" in the same way many of us do. The demographics of the new 3 wheel riders I have been seeing are generally in the 50 to 70 year old group. "Young" 3 wheel students have been in their late 20s to early 30s .

I have noticed that the younger the student, the more likely they will tend to migrate toward the Rykers.

At the beginning of the classroom portion of the class, I do take some time to describe the differences between the dynamics and operation of 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers. Many new 3 wheeler riders seem to greatly appreciate the ease of operation, specifically the lack of a clutch, shifting and only one foot activated brake pedal for all three brakes. I do sense a lower anxiety level from students in 3 wheel classes than in 2 wheel classes. Perhaps the lower anxiety levels might be partly attributable to far fewer "horror stories" about 3 wheelers circulating amongst the non riding public.

Yes, 3 wheelers are fine for a beginner if that is what they want. Am I running out to buy one? No.

Friedle

Interesting.....This is the first I have seen of it.
OM

Just checked pricing-
Ryker 600 will start at $8,499; Ryker 900 starts at $9,999; and Ryker Rally Edition, will begin at $10,999. By contrast, the 2019 Can-Am Spyder will start at $15,999 and goes up to $24,999. This aggressive pricing is at the heart of Can-Am's strategy to attract new riders to the Ryker.Oct 18, 2018
Sounds real reasonable.
I'm looking at a 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 (new $23,500) with 2.5K miles, seller wants $11,500. I'm also looking at a new 2019 Ryker 900cc Ace for about the same amount OTD. Decisions, decisions.

Stay far away from RideNow, their reputation proceeds them and it's not good. :thumb
I don't mind purchasing a bike from them, as long as the price is right, but I won't use them for service -- if I can help it. They have a horrible rep here in town. Of course they do mega-business here and in Phoenix.

I'm looking at a 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 (new $23,500) with 2.5K miles, seller wants $11,500. I'm also looking at a new 2019 Ryker 900cc Ace for about the same amount OTD. Decisions, decisions.

The F3 will be a much better choice than the Ryker. To outfit the Ryker to even be serviceable, you'll need the accessory seat, windshield and 1 pannier/top case. Even then it's not really comfortable. It's lower to the ground, which does not give you good visibility and you need to be more agile riding it (ie. pulling a lever to reverse instead of a button and other things).

I don't mind purchasing a bike from them, as long as the price is right, but I won't use them for service -- if I can help it. They have a horrible rep here in town. Of course they do mega-business here and in Phoenix.

Watch them on used bikes, they tell you they changed the oil and upon inspection, it's old and black. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw a salesman.

Back