• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fragile kickstand?

He might have a lot of fun in airports. :)

Paul - I can tell you that with a titanium hip joint, it only slows me down a little in airports. I just tell the TSA what I've got, go into the big scanner, and I'm on my way. It's no big deal.

Paul - I can tell you that with a titanium hip joint, it only slows me down a little in airports. I just tell the TSA what I've got, go into the big scanner, and I'm on my way. It's no big deal.

Ah, but that was the old TSA.

Ah, but that was the old TSA.

Perhaps, but they're all smiling now, especially if you're "TSA-Pre."

Seriously, if you fly often internationally, or even occasionally in the US, it's a great thing to get "Global Entry" (See: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry). For your $100 you'll get Global Entry (useful for international flights), and TSA-Pre. Also part of the deal is NEXUS for returning to the US on land.

TSA has become more friendly...really!

Jeff, did I miss how much you weigh?.

I'm the same height as you but beat your weight by 100 lbs - a little tall and I'd be square.

After I left the BMW dealer, I visits the local triumph dealer. The sales manager there was a giant - well over 6' and bear-shaped. He said he always mounted via the foot pegs, listened to my story and then proceeded to be very helpful. The T120 fit me very well even tho it's no where as well equipped as the rt.

Searched the interwebs and downloaded and skimmed the rt manual. Mr. Google found plenty of references to older models with sidestand killswitch issues, but i didn't see anything regarding the stand itself or the attaching tab failing. I didn't see anything in the manual advising to not mounting via peg.

Searched the interwebs and downloaded and skimmed the rt manual. Mr. Google found plenty of references to older models with sidestand killswitch issues, but i didn't see anything regarding the stand itself or the attaching tab failing. I didn't see anything in the manual advising to not mounting via peg.

Jeff - Page 97 of the 2015 RT rider's manual says: "The side stand is designed to support only the weight of the motorcycle. Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the side stand extended."

That said, I mount the bike using the left peg all the time when touring. Chancing fate, I guess...

Jeff - Page 97 of the 2015 RT rider's manual says: "The side stand is designed to support only the weight of the motorcycle. Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the side stand extended."

That said, I mount the bike using the left peg all the time when touring. Chancing fate, I guess...

My manual, for the 2011 RT, says that same thing. I choose not to "chance fate," having had a friend who wound up on the ground from the practice of standing on the left foot peg to mount. He's lucky he rolled clear before the bike fell on him.

Last edited:
My manual, for the 2011 RT, says that same thing. I choose not to "chance fate," having had a friend who wound up on the ground from the practice of standing on the left foot peg to mount. He's lucky he rolled clear before the bike fell on him.

What bike and what broke or gave way?

I don't tempt fate , instead get on each model in the method my body allows at that particular moment or the bikes ability to let me get on provides.
Watching me get on the KTM this morning had me doing a hop, grab my pants cuff, lift and throw it towards the other side. The next attempt later was stepping on the pegs as it just is easier.
On GSA with a rear duffle,there is no way I can just slide a leg over it and have climbed on the horse on the stand for many years and miles. When I had my RT, I was almost 10 years younger and wasn't as big an issue:laugh

The problem is also got one huge variable... is the person using the peg to step over built like an NFL lineman or a marathon runner??? One could certainly be a problem, the other not even close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem is also got one huge variable... is the person using the peg to step over built like an NFL lineman or a marathon runner??? One could certainly be a problem, the other not even close.

I'll disagree with the assessment that a lighter rider is "not even close." At least two manuals for the RT say this,
The side stand is designed to support only the weight of the motorcycle. Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the side stand extended. [Emphasis is mine]
They don't say, "If you're a real skinny guy, it's OK."

Lots of people are doing it and getting away with it. A small number will have the failure. A smaller number may even be injured. As the saying goes, 'You have been warned.' I doubt that this conversation will change anyone's mind or what they do.

I'll disagree with the assessment that a lighter rider is "not even close." At least two manuals for the RT say this, They don't say, "If you're a real skinny guy, it's OK."

Lots of people are doing it and getting away with it. A small number will have the failure. A smaller number may even be injured. As the saying goes, 'You have been warned.' I doubt that this conversation will change anyone's mind or what they do.

My newest camping stove contains the warning, "Caution - May be Hot" Lawyers. Sheesh!

Another way to mount bike

In my tank bag, there is a loop of parachute cord. I step into it (right foot) and hoist my right leg up until the heel clears the seat and guide the boot across the seat to the other side. Have to do this when the bike is loaded with camping gear, or if the top box is mounted, or ... pretty much all the time!

Make the loop the length you need and find best for you.

I just found the same thing on a different page of the 2016 manual I downloaded - it's in the "dismounting" section, but it says to not do it because of risk of damage to parts if the vehicle topples and not due to sidestand failure. It also says to not sit or lean on the vehicle when it's on the centerstand.

One of our motor officers, riding a BMW, always mounted on the left side of the bike by standing on the left peg with the side stand down. One day, as he mounted, something gave way. The bike fell down on its left side, dumping him on the ground. He escaped, with only his ego bruised.

I don't recall (if he ever told me) what broke or bent, whether it was a tab, a bolt that sheared, or something else. But I've stopped mounting that way. The center stand is strong enough for this, I'm told, but the side stand is not.

There are many who mount like this, who have never had such an experience, and who will continue. I prefer to learn from the experience of others.

Hopefully I'm not just being hardheaded, but I can't help but wonder in his tumble was due to the stand digging into soft ground instead of it breaking.

. It also says to not sit or lean on the vehicle when it's on the centerstand.

That is a whole other thread:laugh

The amount of folks who ride off theIr centerstands is high amongst a lot of riders here... for some it has worked for them, some have had pivot bushings and bolts give up back in the day of earlier Hexheads:whistle Still watch it happen a lot on group rides.YRMV

I have to believe the parts are under rated in published capacity, like ladders, personnel lifts and everything else one could overload and/or topple to help with potential liability claims. But that's my thoughts...

None of the BMWs I've ridden has a side stand foot suitable for anything except concrete. They must lack dirt in Germany. Always need to add a foot.

A fast way to break bolts on centerstands is to walk the bike around on the centerstand- puts tremendous shear on marginally sized bolts on an RT.

I've rarely mounted used the peg with bike on sidestand with no breakage BUT I only do it on the hardest and level surface (and I weigh about 190 in gear). BUT am gettig old enough I might need to doi t more regularly.

I just found the same thing on a different page of the 2016 manual I downloaded - it's in the "dismounting" section, but it says to not do it because of risk of damage to parts if the vehicle topples and not due to sidestand failure. It also says to not sit or lean on the vehicle when it's on the centerstand.

Which manual was that jeffshoaf? Can you give us a link please? I just looked at the 2016 RT manual (downloaded from here, https://ownersmanuals2.com/bmw/r-1200-rt-2016-owner-s-manual-65448 and it says nothing about "dismounting." It does say this, on page 5-104,
Additional weight placing strain on the side stand.
Risk of damage to parts if vehicle topples. Do not sit or lean on the vehicle while it is propped on the side stand. [Emphasis Original]

Standing on the foot peg to mount would certainly come under the heading of "Additional weight placing strain on the side stand."

This quotation is under the heading of "ATTENTION" A special notice denoting
Special notes and precautionary measures. Non-compliance can lead to damage to the vehicle or accessory and, consequently, to voiding of the warranty. [Emphasis is mine]

Back