• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tires losing 4 PSI per day is normal?

I had a new Metzler that was losing air at the rate of a psi or two a day. I tolerated it, topping it up every day, until it started losing a few psi an hour and then many psi an hour. It turned out that a small metal rod like a clevis pin was embedded in the tire. Apparently it happened at the factory in making the tire.

What actions do you recommend the moderators take?

You respond to a two week old post with thirteen response's that are pretty much identical and are upset that someone doesn't respond?

I hope I'm missing a joke here, new meds have me a little off kilter.

Spray them with a 50% soapy water solution...if they change their answer tighten their stem until they're consistent (I use a BMW "Stemtorque" only $125 at any dealer). If the poster is leaking around the rim, sometimes a hard kick will set them straight- sort of "re-seat" the leaky bashturd. Other than that I'd try all the other (identical) solutions offered.

If you lost 1 as in one psi per day on the family ride, in ten days you could look at the tire and say WTF?

The average family car holds between 20-60 liters of air per tire.

Our tires hold as much as 20 liters of air and a drop of 4 PSI per day would yield tires that are round on the top after 8 hours. 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00 clock would be round.

My point is: we had; how far can you go on bald tires.
Is 7L of oil too much?
I have an issue but I am going to use an Excel spreadsheet to determine I have a bad battery. Might take me two months but my spreadsheet will confirm I have a bad battery.

Enough Mods!

This isn't a joke that could be funny with the right meds (likely not available in Canada).

Every person that posts on this club/forum wants every problem to be resolved so we can ride.

If you post a complaint that is contrary to common sense and you want advice because you don't have common sense, respect the people that do think you don't have any common sense but do know it's all about the ride, and that's why the collaborative effort to get you riding again.

If a post here is beyond common sense, sit on it a few days and if the original poster doesn't respond, it was a spoof.

I have your user name and password details. I saw you through your cam on your laptop. Send me $14,000 in Bitcoin and I won't send the nasty pictures I have of you visiting a website to your wife. I have her email and password too. By the way, you can't hide from me, you are on your Webcam.

This round of stupid, flat tires, bald tires, 7L of oil, spreadsheet for a bad battery are all the basics to allow access to legitimate members and expose us to phishing, pharming and the latest; phooming.

They are wrong. Modern tires of any variety do not lose air very quickly if the valve stem and core are sound and the rim is clean when the tire is mounted.

I find that with PR4 tires on an R1100RS and R1150R I might need to add a pound or two every month.

This is my experience. I really only check the pressures with gauge every few weeks or so. I do kick them with the toe of my boot before leaving work and then every morning I hit them with a hammer hard enough go get a good thump. You get used to what both of those feel like and a flat or very low tire will be readily apparent which is all I am really looking for before riding. I currently have a couple 36 psi green, yellow, red indicator valve stem caps but its still way easier to kick them than get the tire spun around so you can see them. I think I would really rather have a live bluetooth system. I've hit a couple things in the road and wondered if maybe I would get a flat and kept going distracted while seeing if I could feel a change. Not the best plan for a number of reasons.

Frankly I have been very surprised at how little the pressure goes down over time with the tubeless Road 3's on an alloy wheel.

Has anyone besides me just made a modification to their "ignore list"?

:D

Begin rant:

Let's not be too hard on him, after all I too get VERY frustrated with posters who start a thread and then have many members give very detailed answers, telling the OP what to check, how to check it, the various possibilities of what could be wrong and then..........crickets. Never to return.

The way this forum works and what makes it so valuable is not all the opinions on what MIGHT be wrong, (After all the internet is full of opinions), but the feedback on what the solution ACTUALLY was. We ALL learn once we know the correct answer. This forum is not only for the mechanical education of individual members on there individual issues, it works best as continueing education for all of us, whether we have had the posted problem or not (yet).

It's like when you were in school. If you had a test or quiz, but the corrected test was never returned to you, the only person that learned anything was the teacher. She learned what you didn' know. But if the corrected test was returned to you, you learned the correct answers to the things that you didn't know and might even have a greater chance of remembering it in the future because of the extra attention.

The OP might have learned what was wrong with his bike, but WE didn't. All we have is a bunch of opinions of what could be wrong (maybe). We don't have a confirmed answer. We don't even have any further feedback as to what was checked and found NOT to be the problem, so that we could further consider the problem.

If it is important enough to someone to start a thread, it should be important enough to follow up on it.
The hit and run type of posting does not serve this community well.:gerg

Rant over.

:dance:dance:dance

Kinda funny, the last time the OP was signed in was a minute after he made this post. In other words, he has not logged in to checked for a response.

Kinda funny, the last time the OP was signed in was a minute after he made this post. In other words, he has not logged in to checked for a response.

It IS possible that he went for a ride after the post and had an accident because of only 6 psi in his rear tire or the front rotor locked up because of bad bobbins (his only other post). I genuinely hope not.:cry

:dance:dance:dance

As some of you might notice I check this forum maybe several times a day. I am retired and can do that when not traveling. Others - not so much. I do wish folks who post problems come back with solutions but that many times fails to happen. Oh well. Too bad so sad.

Begin rant:
Let's not be too hard on him, after all I too get VERY frustrated with posters who start a thread and then have many members give very detailed answers, telling the OP what to check, how to check it, the various possibilities of what could be wrong and then..........crickets. Never to return.

Lee,
You are one of the more helpful posters on this forum with accurate, first-hand solutions on subjects on which you are familiar. I, on the other hand, will often venture a Wild Assed Guess (WAG) which may or not be helpful to the person who is asking the question. What neither you nor any of the other very helpful folks here DON'T do is exhibit passive aggressive tendencies or outright hostility towards other posters.

Do subjects get repeated? Yes. Do people who may not know as much as others post questions which many of us might term trite or lacking common sense? Yes. Are some answers which get posted more comprehensive than some might like? You bet! It doesn't make them any less valued by those who may or may not understand the minute detail - thanks for all your hard work, Roger. :thumb

I get annoyed with self-righteous folks who think things should always be THEIR way. If anyone can point me to the forum where everything is PERFECT, I'll mail them 100 bucks (US) tonight. :laugh

:eek
Apparently some forget that you don't have to be logged in to read responses.......

Here we have a new member of the forum, June '19- 3 posts and if he has been checking in and sees the kicking/sarcasm that he is receiving because his response time wasn't up to others expectations.........Not much of a reason to return :banghead

Social media can be tough. It doesn't have to be tough here on the MOA Forum.

OM

:

Here we have a new member of the forum,

OM

I see the problem more often with new members, especially if it's their 1st and only post.
They may have went to several forums with the problem, then forgot which forums they visited.
Another reason is they may not be able to find where in the forum they posted their thread.
We have a lot of older members who may not use a computer very often.

Checking on Brent

I see the problem more often with new members, especially if it's their 1st and only post.
They may have went to several forums with the problem, then forgot which forums they visited.
Another reason is they may not be able to find where in the forum they posted their thread.
We have a lot of older members who may not use a computer very often.

it would appear that Brent used his g-mail account as his user name.

If someone wants to know what happened, perhaps they could send him an e-mail.

Ask him to make a grand re-appearance on the forum.

Let him know that we have a bunch of people waiting around that could be talking about oil or tires.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

First dusting of snow today.

Back