• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena 50S

RPGR90s

Has anyone purchased the new Sena 50 series? Just wondering if the audio is improved over my 20s EVO.

thanks,
RPGR90s

I received mine a few days ago, but haven't installed it yet. I'm still seeking out more reviews & reports from people who have already installed it. There's some good discussion on bmwsporttouring forum

Both my SMH10 and 20S (non-EVO) initially sounded really distorted, especially the navigation instructions from the GPS. Both units became quite clear after I turned down the volume, while the directions were being announced. This can be difficult to do if the instructions are short.

Sena remembers different volume levels for each source, so adjustments need to be made while that source has the priority. Even though my Zumo provides my music as well as navigation, my Sena units use different volume levels for each.

I recently received my Sena 50S, and it's installed in my helmet. I've tried it a few times, but not for extended periods, and I've been solo, so I can't comment on the mesh intercom mode. I moved from a Sena 10S, so I can't comment on the audio quality of the 50S vs. the 20 series. The 50S speakers sound better than my 10S speakers, but then I wear earplugs whenever I ride, so I may not be the best judge.

What are the theoretical benefits of the 50 vs the Evo 20S for instance.
Theoretical, how about practical? There's a group of 4 of us that ride together often. Just two never had the problem but when 3 or 4 joined up did. We all had the 20s or 20 Evo. In a group of 3 or 4 on intercom we always had some clicking, tapping, or a noise that sounded kind of like a snare drum being tapped. When two of us went to the 50s the group intercom became startling clear with none of the previous background noise. The Mesh technology of the 30 and 50 is supposedly the reason. Another great thing about Mesh is what when one rider drops out of range then catches up Mesh technology seamlessly re-connects that rider to the others, no one has to terminate the group intercom and open it again. The speakers are higher definition and reportedly sound better with less distortion at high volume levels. I was perfectly happy with my 20S but a new 50S arrives tomorrow if UPS is on schedule. One group ride of 4 convinced me. There are some other improvements too, the battery recharges much quicker and if connected to charging with a WiFi signal present the unit automatically updates the software.

Used the new 50S all day yesterday with 2 other 50S equipped riders and several without intercom. One of the comm equipped riders always rides in the rear. With our 20S systems there was always static and distortion whenever he got out of range due to distance or terrestrial objects. Yesterday, communications was clear and he rarely dropped out despite there being seven of us. It was much cleaner with the new units. I listened to music from both my phone and my GPS which occasionally dropped out for no reason. Perhaps I need to lower the sensitivity of the audio multi-tasking. Also, I got a low battery warning before we stopped for lunch after about 6 hours. I charged it during lunch and it made it home without any additional charge.

If you ride by yourself or with only one other comm equipped rider, I can't see any need to upgrade from 20S. If you ride in groups greater than 3, the clarity and operation of the intercoms is greatly enhanced. I never experienced the 30K, but heard horror stories. Hopefully, the new update will make it a better unit. It's supposed to be compatible with the 50S when in "open mesh, channel 1".

Theoretical, how about practical? There's a group of 4 of us that ride together often. Just two never had the problem but when 3 or 4 joined up did. We all had the 20s or 20 Evo. In a group of 3 or 4 on intercom we always had some clicking, tapping, or a noise that sounded kind of like a snare drum being tapped. When two of us went to the 50s the group intercom became startling clear with none of the previous background noise. The Mesh technology of the 30 and 50 is supposedly the reason. Another great thing about Mesh is what when one rider drops out of range then catches up Mesh technology seamlessly re-connects that rider to the others, no one has to terminate the group intercom and open it again. The speakers are higher definition and reportedly sound better with less distortion at high volume levels. I was perfectly happy with my 20S but a new 50S arrives tomorrow if UPS is on schedule. One group ride of 4 convinced me. There are some other improvements too, the battery recharges much quicker and if connected to charging with a WiFi signal present the unit automatically updates the software.

Thanks Dave. Of course "practical" is better! Appreciate the first hand experience. I have a 20s Evo and just did a ride last Saturday with just one other rider and other than having issues getting the intercom established it worked fine even reconnecting after out of range breaks automatically. However, I really wish it had more speed dial programming available. 3 is not enough. Does the 50 save more speed dials?

Thanks everyone for the feedback,

My 20S EVO does everything I need for the moment and since I ride with ear plugs I was hoping for enhanced volume and quality on the 50S. But I mostly ride alone so I probably wouldn't appreciate the improved mesh communications.

Thanks Dave. Of course "practical" is better! Appreciate the first hand experience. I have a 20s Evo and just did a ride last Saturday with just one other rider and other than having issues getting the intercom established it worked fine even reconnecting after out of range breaks automatically. However, I really wish it had more speed dial programming available. 3 is not enough. Does the 50 save more speed dials?

Nope, 3 speed dial slots. However, Siri will dial any number you want with voice command.

50s

I purchased a new Shoei Neotec 2 and installed the 50s about a week ago. Have ridden several hundred miles and am very pleased. Been using a C4 with an SC1 advanced for 3 years and have been happy with it. The 50s is hands down better. Better speakers, the voice commands work really well. Hey siri allows you to send texts or send and receive calls, start/stop music, obtain directions, weather, etc. without touching anything. Hey sena is also awesome.....Incoming call you can say answer or ignore. I really like being able to do everything with voice commands. You can pair devices, join mesh networks and so much more with only your voice. I commute and tour on my bike and this is a really good upgrade for me. Worth the money IMO.

I purchased a new Shoei Neotec 2 and installed the 50s about a week ago. Have ridden several hundred miles and am very pleased. Been using a C4 with an SC1 advanced for 3 years and have been happy with it. The 50s is hands down better. Better speakers, the voice commands work really well. Hey siri allows you to send texts or send and receive calls, start/stop music, obtain directions, weather, etc. without touching anything. Hey sena is also awesome.....Incoming call you can say answer or ignore. I really like being able to do everything with voice commands. You can pair devices, join mesh networks and so much more with only your voice. I commute and tour on my bike and this is a really good upgrade for me. Worth the money IMO.

I've had my 50S for a couple of weeks now, but for the life of me, I cannot get it to recognize a single Sena voice command. I updated the firmware today, and confirmed in the Sena Bluetooth Device Manager that the voice command function is enabled. What am I missing? I know the mic works, because I can carry on phone conversations, and also activate Siri by voice. I also know the operative words are, "Hey Sena". And I've pronounced Sena both ways. I don't see anything in the 50S Utility app on my iPhone where you can disable voice commands. Did I miss something there, and could I have disabled them accidentally, or can they be disabled by toggling some other device function?

I've had my 50S for a couple of weeks now, but for the life of me, I cannot get it to recognize a single Sena voice command. I updated the firmware today, and confirmed in the Sena Bluetooth Device Manager that the voice command function is enabled. What am I missing? I know the mic works, because I can carry on phone conversations, and also activate Siri by voice. I also know the operative words are, "Hey Sena". And I've pronounced Sena both ways. I don't see anything in the 50S Utility app on my iPhone where you can disable voice commands. Did I miss something there, and could I have disabled them accidentally, or can they be disabled by toggling some other device function?

ugh I know that can be frustrating. When it comes to technology I consider myself a caveman. I have had no issues and did the firmware update yesterday. That being said, when I say "hey sena" it sometimes mistakes my voice for saying 'hey siri".

Have you accidentally set the 50s to a language other than English? Language can be set in the app.

Have you accidentally set the 50s to a language other than English? Language can be set in the app.

I confirmed in the App that the headset language is set to English. I also ckecked and confirmed I was actually using the correct commands, and I am.

Back