• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to replace the battery in keyless ride FOB? 2017 RT

AjaxTheDog

Read the instructions and it says push "up" on the cover to expose the battery. Tried and mine doesn't budge in any direction. Is there some trick to this?

Capture.JPG

Naval Engineering....

Brute force and ignorance are called for.

Ditto. Just went through this drill when the yellow triangle lit up. As a Navy Master Chief once told me, "If force doesn't work you're not using enough." I also wound up using a screwdriver blade to help nudge it free.

Ditto. Just went through this drill when the yellow triangle lit up. As a Navy Master Chief once told me, "If force doesn't work you're not using enough." I also wound up using a screwdriver blade to help nudge it free.

I believe it’s the Brits who maintain that “Any tool can be a hammer, but a screwdriver makes the best chisel.” Glad to see this thread and the video as I believe I have a fob battery slowly dying.
:)

Best,
DeVern

I use the sharp blade of my best pocket knife to pry mine open
It’s the o-ring that holds it fast
Biggest tip I have is to use quality batteries either Panasonic or Duracell,buy a couple spares. The cheap Chinese junk only lasts about 60 days

Jim

I mistakenly thought the little key battery symbol was saying my fob battery was at half strength. Luckily I checked the manual and it said it means replace it.

Capturea.JPG

Both Annie and I recently got a symbol on our dashes of a key with a question mark. Turnsout that means the bike cannot detect the fob. It happened to me first when we were riding and the bike continued to run normally, but when we stopped it would not restart. Changed batteries a few times but it did not solve the problem. I restarted it by putting the fob under the rear fender near the sensor. We happened to be in Missoula near Big Sky BMW and they checked it and it was showing two different key codes. They cleared them and repaired the fob and all was well. It nexted happened when we were in Colorado and would come and go on both bikes. Annie reasoned out that we had both recently switched to Cardo Packtalk Bold communicators and that we both wear our fobs on a lanyard around our necks. Perhaps too close she thought even though we had worn them there for two years while using Sena 20Ss. I, of course, poo-pooed her idea. She moved her fob to her right pants pocket and the problem ceased and has not reoccured in a couple thousand miles. I quietly moved mine to my pants pocket and have not had an issue since.

The Packtalk is not Bluetooth and the Mesh technology it uses must interfer with the bike to fob signal just enough to confuse the bike.

Both Annie and I recently got a symbol on our dashes of a key with a question mark. Turnsout that means the bike cannot detect the fob. It happened to me first when we were riding and the bike continued to run normally, but when we stopped it would not restart. Changed batteries a few times but it did not solve the problem. I restarted it by putting the fob under the rear fender near the sensor. We happened to be in Missoula near Big Sky BMW and they checked it and it was showing two different key codes. They cleared them and repaired the fob and all was well. It nexted happened when we were in Colorado and would come and go on both bikes. Annie reasoned out that we had both recently switched to Cardo Packtalk Bold communicators and that we both wear our fobs on a lanyard around our necks. Perhaps too close she thought even though we had worn them there for two years while using Sena 20Ss. I, of course, poo-pooed her idea. She moved her fob to her right pants pocket and the problem ceased and has not reoccured in a couple thousand miles. I quietly moved mine to my pants pocket and have not had an issue since.

The Packtalk is not Bluetooth and the Mesh technology it uses must interfer with the bike to fob signal just enough to confuse the bike.

Kevin, I know you know you are best off when you listen to Annie's intuition. It saves a lot of time usually. :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the instructions and the link to the video. I have tried before to get that apart and did NOT succeed, but I have done it now.

Here is another video showing a bit more comprehensively the removal of the cover and battery replacement -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lwUlDVsiWGQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back