• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Supporting My Local BMW Dealers

bobs_one

I try to support the dealer where I bought my bike, but sometimes I think I'm being taken advantage of, at least to some degree.

A specific example I can discuss is with tire replacement. I had two Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's put on the bike last spring and was charged (with taxes) $800 by my dealer. Looking at the invoice, it seemed to me that the dealer had marked up the two tires by a total of around $150 over what I would pay for the tires if I bought them elsewhere.

I need tires again now, so I contacted all of the BMW dealers in the area (I'm lucky enough to have access to 5!) to get quotes and they all came in in the same ball park (+/- $75).

But, I've now found a non-BMW service shop with a great reputation, who have a BMW certified master mechanic, and they are doing them for me for $600. I spoke to the guy at the non BMW shop and he knows his stuff.

Am I expected to pay a $200 surcharge to support my dealer?

I have a similar issue with some of the basic service visits (oil changes with a few other simple tasks) seem to run $300 or more. I'm still going to the dealer for those because the bike is still under warranty, but I'm strongly leaning to going with non-dealer servicing once the warranty is up - at least for the things I would consider simple.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

I own older bikes, so my approach is going to be different than yours. I kind of feel that I need to support them in order to continue to have this type of support in the future.

But also, I think I've cultivated a bit of a relationship...I'm recognized each time I show up, I spend time with the parts guy, and get to know others in the store. On more than several occasions, I've been given special rates, had something shipped to the store overnight for no additional charge, let something slide on an inspection if I promised to take care of it, etc. These kind of things may or may not have a price associated with it, but the fact that I'm getting the benefit of the doubt sometimes seems worth the additional money I may be spending in the store. As I said, I'm more about the longer view of supporting my older bikes.

We likely have the same dealer, certainly the same 5!

In Canada we get hosed big time for tires it seems. $500 for a rear PR4 last year, installed. My friend in BC on Vancouver Island says the locals all buy their tires in the US. The US companies all know how to ship to Canada in that area at least.

We likely have the same dealer, certainly the same 5!

In Canada we get hosed big time for tires it seems. $500 for a rear PR4 last year, installed. My friend in BC on Vancouver Island says the locals all buy their tires in the US. The US companies all know how to ship to Canada in that area at least.

Correction (and don't take this personally): In Canada YOU get hosed big time.....

I just paid $400 for a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 3 - from my dealer. And that's competitive with US online pricing after exchange. Installation is $75.

[QUOTE Am I expected to pay a $200 surcharge to support my dealer? [/QUOTE]

What do I think....No. Some people seem to constantly fret about "supporting their dealer", like BMW is running a charity for those of us riding the bikes, and we all need to chip in so the company and dealerships don't go belly up. Are they in that dire of straits? Who would of thought?

BMW motorcycles, parts, accessories, gear, are all priced to make a nice healthy profit. That's fine. I know they are in it to make money. And I get a sense that the vast majority of BMW riders have all work done at a dealership. So they appear to be getting plenty of money. Hence I don't feel the need to give them mine also, unless absolutely necessary. If a dealership feels hurt because I won't fork over $300 for an oil change, or $500 for a tire, well, I will loan them my handkerchief.

Support your local indy shops. Dollars to donuts, these folks are way more motivated to treat you right. Then, you can live happily ever after. I have no love or support for any dealer who would charge $ hundreds for an oil change. Give your head a shake!

Thought that it would be decent to support the dealer that I bought my last bikes from and since they had some work to complete under warranty I told them to do an oil change. Normally I change my own oil and after $155 for a dino oil change, I quickly returned to changing my own oil.

I've dealt with several Ontario dealers and unfortunately I have felt taken by all of them; hence I try to do most of the work on my bikes myself. Until the Cdn dollar fell, I was always pleased with a BMW dealership across the border, with both the workmanship and the price, but for now, the exchange rate is just too great to make it worthwhile.

Hey neighbor. Buy your tires at the January MC show in Mississauga. (Michelin P4's $430 tax in) Remove the wheels are bring them to Gators in Ajax for mounting. $50.
A few years ago I priced tires at the local BMW dealer. I was quoted MSRP. I suspect all the dealers in the GTA charge MSRP. Why wouldn't they? You should PM me, I am also in Pickering.

BTW. That nice local BMW dealer also owns a few other dealerships. Infiniti, Volvo, Lexus, Land Rover, Jaguar, and Chrysler.

Try asking your dealer for internet prices, mine matches, but understand your gonna pay at least 90 minutes labor for mounting and balancing.

I'll support the local dealer...but only when they are willing to be competitive. I just ordered some Metzeler 01s for my F800GT. When I called the local dealer, I had the Motorcycle Superstore page open so I'd know what their price was. The price from the dealer was about $150 more per tire. The sound of crickets chirping came from my end till I mentioned that the price was different at Motorcycle Superstore. They asked what the price was...and matched it.

I expected to have them make up the difference in the installation...but they didn't. Installation was $40 for each wheel. That's taking them off the bike, mounting the new tires and balancing them and reinstallation.

If they couldn't come down enough in the price, I was willing to go elsewhere. The local Ducatti dealer offers a similar price for installation and will accept drop-shipped tires for you.

If I hadn't done my research, I'd have paid a lot more for the new tires.

Chris

Tires are a tough business. There is usually an unrealistically high MSRP that is basically meaningless since the street price is so well established, but many dealers use this MSRP anyway. A dealer using the MSRP will end up charging $600 or more for a tire change because the tires are going to be close to double the street price.

Some shops won't install tires they don't supply. I have talked to one such shop that said their insurance (under that state's law) did not provide adequate liability coverage for installing customer-supplied tires. State law made them liable for the consequences of a tire issue but insurance would only cover it if they purchased the tire new through their distribution channel.

Tires are not that hard to install yourself, or with buddies using a communal tire changer.

Tires are a tough business. There is usually an unrealistically high MSRP that is basically meaningless since the street price is so well established, but many dealers use this MSRP anyway. A dealer using the MSRP will end up charging $600 or more for a tire change because the tires are going to be close to double the street price.

Some shops won't install tires they don't supply. I have talked to one such shop that said their insurance (under that state's law) did not provide adequate liability coverage for installing customer-supplied tires. State law made them liable for the consequences of a tire issue but insurance would only cover it if they purchased the tire new through their distribution channel.

Tires are not that hard to install yourself, or with buddies using a communal tire changer.

Anton,

Even with car tires, the MSRP story is the same. A good tire shop quotes the online (i.e., TireRack, CompAcc, etc.) price and cost to install. Doing otherwise, just begs the question of .......why is the customer coming to you?

My only issue with the installation cost is ......... why do I need a "BMW Certified Mechanic" to mount and balance a tire? Where's the minimum wage part-time high school/college student guy (like I was) that can run the tire changer and balancing machine? As you point out.......that job isn't that hard and it would be a waste of more skilled manpower. It also provides someone to sweep the floor, empty the trash, do oil changes, wash bikes...........

My only issue with the installation cost is ......... why do I need a "BMW Certified Mechanic" to mount and balance a tire?

Because it's a repair to a BMW motorcycle that is being performed at a BMW motorcycle dealership? Besides the wheel itself, the job often involves removal of exhaust, brake and bodywork components. There's a correct procedure, including tightening torques. If you have no expectation that the tire guy should know this stuff, there's no reason to go to a dealership.

Also, the cost difference within the dealership (or any shop) between having a top-level guy do it or having a helper do it isn't that great. The hourly rate reflects the cost of having the whole facility there in the first place: people, insurance, equipment, real estate, etc.

I try to support the dealer where I bought my bike, but sometimes I think I'm being taken advantage of, at least to some degree.

A specific example I can discuss is with tire replacement. I had two Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's put on the bike last spring and was charged (with taxes) $800 by my dealer. Looking at the invoice, it seemed to me that the dealer had marked up the two tires by a total of around $150 over what I would pay for the tires if I bought them elsewhere.

I need tires again now, so I contacted all of the BMW dealers in the area (I'm lucky enough to have access to 5!) to get quotes and they all came in in the same ball park (+/- $75).

But, I've now found a non-BMW service shop with a great reputation, who have a BMW certified master mechanic, and they are doing them for me for $600. I spoke to the guy at the non BMW shop and he knows his stuff.

Am I expected to pay a $200 surcharge to support my dealer?

I have a similar issue with some of the basic service visits (oil changes with a few other simple tasks) seem to run $300 or more. I'm still going to the dealer for those because the bike is still under warranty, but I'm strongly leaning to going with non-dealer servicing once the warranty is up - at least for the things I would consider simple.

What do you guys think?

Guess I need to increase the rates I charge my buddies for doing them in my basement. :) $25 tire with balancing might be a little cheap.

Because it's a repair to a BMW motorcycle that is being performed at a BMW motorcycle dealership? Besides the wheel itself, the job often involves removal of exhaust, brake and bodywork components. There's a correct procedure, including tightening torques. If you have no expectation that the tire guy should know this stuff, there's no reason to go to a dealership.

Also, the cost difference within the dealership (or any shop) between having a top-level guy do it or having a helper do it isn't that great. The hourly rate reflects the cost of having the whole facility there in the first place: people, insurance, equipment, real estate, etc.

My scenario assumes the cheap customer walking into the shop carrying a wheel.

I would never and have never bought tires from a dealer. The markup is nuts. You can get a quote for tires from many motorcycle parts suppliers on the internet, then call a place like Revzilla and they'll gladly price match the lowest price you can find, and either ship them for free to your house or to your installer of choice. Most independents, or even a non-BMW bike shop will mount and balance them for $50 per wheel or less. I save even more by removing my wheels myself, and just bringing them the dismounted wheels.
Last PR4's I bought from them were $ 196 for the rear and $ 152 for the front, with free shipping.

Hey neighbor. Buy your tires at the January MC show in Mississauga. (Michelin P4's $430 tax in)

Ordered mine prior to the show from the same retailer, show price, two sets of Michelins, one set P3 & P4, different set of Michelins for the other bike, total, including tax, $773.15. :dance

Installation will run me another $90 per bike, which seems reasonable enough. :thumb

If the weather's nice on Monday, I'll ride down and have the K's new rubber installed for the summer.

Heck, I change tires for free for friends and strays.

Strays? What did you say your address was Kevin? :lol

Heck, I change tires for free for friends and strays.

Me too! Sometimes I even provide a take-off tire to get them home because they miscalculated and the cord is showing. Or they punched a hole with a rock or similar misadventure.

I bought a drive on motorcycle lift and a tire changer a few years or so ago and have done all my own work on my 2011 R1200GS for the last several years. I've got the BMW repair CD and the Haynes manual, and a GS 911. If something comes up that is over my head, I would probably take it to a dealer.

Thoughts that I have had about taking it to an independent mechanic over the years include:

- I think only a BMW dealer can get the special BMW computer for servicing, but the GS 911 may have overcome this drawback
- An independent mechanic may not have all the special tools...for example a special weight gizmo for properly tensioning the rubber belt drives
- An independent mechanic may not be totally up to date on all the newest design innovations
- If the dealer screws it up, BMW will probably come good for it. If the independent mechanic screws it up, depending on the cost, it might be a battle.

Back