• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

iPad Apps and M/C Travelling

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
I recently got an iPad and think it will work well as a motorcycle travel computer. All I'll need it for is email, web access and music/photo management. Anyone have an iPad and know of some "must have" apps; especially motorcycle or travel related apps? Any lessons learned about traveling with an iPad on a motorcycle?

Come to mind right away that would be relevant to your question.

UrbanSpoon - Find you a place to eat
Wundermap - Check the weather.
Weatherstaion - just a cool weather app, reminds you of the atomic clock/thermometer wall hangers you may have in your house???
Wikihood - Learn about where you are.
iBooks, nuff said
Pandora - why load up a bunch of music.
USA Today - News
Bloomberg - News
AP - News
theScore - Sports
ABC News
ABC Player - Watch ABC television
Games, many, many of the Free games, get any that catch your eye, you can always delete if not interested in them.

Last edited:
Also, for traveling...
(all free except where noted)

- Free Wi-Fi (DB of free wi-fi spots across the country - very useful!)
- Google Earth (the elevation of terrain is great for choosing roads!)
- Roadside (BMW Roadside Assistance app - plug in your vin) for iPhone only
- NPR (Public Radio News)
- Discovery (Discovery News)
- Quickoffice (MS Office-like apps -- if you MUST do work! Not Free - $15.00)

CAUTION -- Use the following game at your own risk!

- Paper Toss (works on iPad but using iPhone emulation)

WeatherBug is a really good weather checker as well
Drudge Report, Globe and Mail, DUH, Slate: for news
Duke 3D, game
Text+: to send text message
Dragon: to dictate email (how wild is that?!)
Web MD: for limited medical advice

Rubber down,
Rich

Last edited:
Pandora - why load up a bunch of music.

You have essentially an iPod on it for tons of music to listen anywhere any time, and yes you want Pendora for sure, but only use Pendora when you're on a network such as a motel or a Starbucks or if you plan to step up to the unlimited data plan at the higher monthly rate for your 3G. Pandora on the iPad is very rich by the way, but a data stream that can add up. Speaking of Starbucks . . There's an App for that.

Weather Bug is a really good weather checker as well

Web MD: for limited medical advice

Rubber down,
Rich

Weather Bug a must! It shows you radar weather overlays over a very good map to show you what you could be in for down the road. It can really settle the old issue of whether to take the low road or the high road.

Web MD sounds good but my riding partner is a surgeon so I just ask.:brow

AroundMe is a very good app. Similar to the categories on your GPS. I prefer it over Urban spoon since it also has gas stations, coffee, ATMs, hotels, movies and more.

Specific hotel apps such as Best Western, Choice, Hilton etc. If you tend to stay at certain brands, these will help you locate them, view photos, along with contact info.

If you're a movie fan Showtimes is a real nice app. Wherever you are it will show you the closest theaters to your location with show times and you can see the trailers of what's playing. Very rich on the iPad.

One other must is the accessory of the iPad SD card reader if you plan to take photos and email to friends along the way. Photos are awesome on the iPad.

Your particular bank brand App. You can move funds, pay bills, and find ATMs or their branches easily. Chase just came out with a deal where you take a photo of the front and back of a check using an iPhone and make a deposit wherever you are far from a bank. That means someone writes you a check and you make a deposit standing in front of that person. What a world we live in.

.... well, since I have now surrendered and allowed my soul to drift over into the 21st with my very new to me Palm Pre, I will be interested in how to apply some of this to my 'phone' that I got from Commander Kirk. Weather and news are my first points of interest and then onward through the fog. Thanks, this little thread is helping me think of possibilities. BTW.... I can hear the laughter in Alaska! - Bob

Give the iPad a look. I got this one thru work but I'm auditioning it as a travel computer when we retire and ride into the sunset. It comes virtually without any instructions and is so intuitive in operation that even I have figured it out.

I recently got an iPad and think it will work well as a motorcycle travel computer. All I'll need it for is email, web access and music/photo management. Anyone have an iPad and know of some "must have" apps; especially motorcycle or travel related apps? Any lessons learned about traveling with an iPad on a motorcycle?

I talked with Apple the other day and agree for the most part. But I decided to hold off for the next generation. Per Apple, some current down sides are to the IPad:

1. No USB Port
2. If you want word processing or spread sheet you need to but it where if you buy a Mac Laptop its installed no charge.
3. Pictures cannot be modified and need to be sent as taken-no cropping etc.
4. Cannot install an external drive or Jump Drive, etc with current models

Apple led me to believe that the next generation will move more toward these types of features.

But all in all nice size, very intuitive, and nice footprint, also nice size screen and overall a great first shot. By the time I ordered the Ipad with all I wanted it was more expensive than buying a Mac 13 inch laptop which did everything I wanted but ……I wanted the Ipad..so I will wait another year.

Backroad ADV

{snip}...
1. No USB Port
2. If you want word processing or spread sheet you need to but it where if you buy a Mac Laptop its installed no charge.
3. Pictures cannot be modified and need to be sent as taken-no cropping etc.
4. Cannot install an external drive or Jump Drive, etc with current models
...{snip}

Another perspective:

The iPad is not a "netbook". It occupies a really curious marketing niche between a large iPhone (without the ability to place a cell phone call) and a netbook. I believe that too many people compare it to a computer (netbook) because it's price approaches that of a low-end laptop/netbook. However, it has a knock-your-socks-off screen and does a fantastic job displaying media...oh, and it also runs programs!

A bit of clarification might be in order regarding the quoted post:

1. A USB port IS available through the camera connection kit as well as an SD card slot. However, only STORAGE DEVICES (USB drives, wired camera connections, etc.) are recognized (at this time) by the USB port.

2. Presentations, documents, and spreadsheets can all be created on the iPad using a $15 application called Quickoffice. Oh, and Quickoffice will wirelessly exchange documents in MS Office compatible format with your PC/Mac. Yes, it DOES cost money, but at $15, it's a bargain. Also, AFAIK, Snow Leopard and the Mac does not come with a word processor the caliber of Quickoffice; for that you need to purchase iWork ($70) or MS Office for the Mac ($130).

3. Photos can indeed be manipulated on the iPad. The possible applications range from Photoshop Express (free) to CameraBag ($19)

4. Storage Devices can be connected. See response (1) above.

I really like the iPad though it is quite expensive. But I find that I spend less time using BOTH my iPhone (small screen) AND my Mac (overkill sometimes) because of it. I don't know if that's a good thing, but I feel like I now have a variety of "tools", each with a specific "best job" that it can do.

YMMV

Give the iPad a look. I got this one thru work but I'm auditioning it as a travel computer when we retire and ride into the sunset. It comes virtually without any instructions and is so intuitive in operation that even I have figured it out.

who knows eh? May have one when we get to Penn next July. Graduating from the Palm.....:brow.... ha, just like life. - Bob

Great iPad e-books

Here is a free e-book from Take Control Books that covers iPad basics. They also have a number of books that aren't free but should help you get the most out of your iPad.

I've found other e-books from Take Control Books to be quite helpful. I don't have any connection with them other than being a happy customer.

Another perspective:

The iPad is not a "netbook". It occupies a really curious marketing niche between a large iPhone (without the ability to place a cell phone call) and a netbook. I believe that too many people compare it to a computer (netbook) because it's price approaches that of a low-end laptop/netbook. However, it has a knock-your-socks-off screen and does a fantastic job displaying media...oh, and it also runs programs!

A bit of clarification might be in order regarding the quoted post:

1. A USB port IS available through the camera connection kit as well as an SD card slot. However, only STORAGE DEVICES (USB drives, wired camera connections, etc.) are recognized (at this time) by the USB port.

2. Presentations, documents, and spreadsheets can all be created on the iPad using a $15 application called Quickoffice. Oh, and Quickoffice will wirelessly exchange documents in MS Office compatible format with your PC/Mac. Yes, it DOES cost money, but at $15, it's a bargain. Also, AFAIK, Snow Leopard and the Mac does not come with a word processor the caliber of Quickoffice; for that you need to purchase iWork ($70) or MS Office for the Mac ($130).

3. Photos can indeed be manipulated on the iPad. The possible applications range from Photoshop Express (free) to CameraBag ($19)

4. Storage Devices can be connected. See response (1) above.

I really like the iPad though it is quite expensive. But I find that I spend less time using BOTH my iPhone (small screen) AND my Mac (overkill sometimes) because of it. I don't know if that's a good thing, but I feel like I now have a variety of "tools", each with a specific "best job" that it can do.

YMMV

Good to know thank you.

Apple didn't do much to help themselves with a sale. Since what I posted came directly from them. Since I own quite a few Macs I really wanted to buy this Ipad and their responses caused me to hold off.

Thanks for your input my next step will be to go to an Apple Store to confirm these capabilities.

Apple did mention the USB capability through the Camera Connection KIt but Apple also said it would NOT accommodate external drives.

Backroad ADV

The best feature is the great battery life. On my last trip, I never used my laptop and used the iPad quite a bit for content creation such as blog updates and even working on some large documents. I didn't get the 3G model which makes it somewhat less useful. I find it more useful than my netbook but it could use a bit more CPU horsepower. When IOS 4.2 comes out, I suspect it'll be slow. It chokes with some video formats depending on how they are encoded.

For most things, I still find myself using my iPhone instead of digging out the iPad but I tend to need Internet connectivity. Almost never use stand alone apps.

I'm waiting on the iPad. There are strong rumours of a 7" version around Christmas. That one I'd buy. The existing one is too big.

For apps, one iPhone app I like is "Campwhere" and it includes state, federal, and provincial parks.

{snip}...Apple did mention the USB capability through the Camera Connection KIt but Apple also said it would NOT accommodate external drives...{snip}

I just tried a variety of USB devices with the iPad this morning. It seems that it WILL recognize USB and Card-based storage ONLY IF the storage device was formatted by a camera! My camera-formatted SD cards worked (with the iPad SD-card connector) and my my camera formatted Compact Flash worked in a CF>USB adapter plugged into the iPad USB connecter.

I have also seen reports of USB keyboards being recognized by the iPad through the iPad USB connector.

However, what DID NOT work were:
- Passport USB disk drive
- non-camera formatted USB Flash Drive
- USB-based external SuperDrive

Sorry for the correction!!!

{snip}...The existing one is too big...{snip}

Agreed, and, therefore, it's too heavy as well. The current size is great for the home/office/messenger bag but for taking on moto-trips, I'd much prefer a 3/4 version. I'd like it to be small and light enough to slip into a tank bag/map case without displacing too much.

I'll phone Steve this afternoon! :D

Agreed, and, therefore, it's too heavy as well. The current size is great for the home/office/messenger bag but for taking on moto-trips, I'd much prefer a 3/4 version. I'd like it to be small and light enough to slip into a tank bag/map case without displacing too much.

I'll phone Steve this afternoon! :D

My iPad is the perfect size! It fits in tank bag and is wonderful to have on any trip long or short.

Back