• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 RT battery tender connection

ramble

ohbeemer
My first winter for this bike. On my GS I simply used a BMW plug inserted into the accessory port from the tender. This does not work for the RT. Suggestions?

There are quite a few threads in the "similar threads" pane at the bottom of this page that may help.
Personally, I prefer a pig-tail direct to the battery- for a number of reasons.
1) Less confusion if things like the computer are working- and not shutting off the circuit.
2) It's a good accessory connection for things like a 12V air pump.....or perhaps heated gear.
OM

Rather than attaching a pigtail directly to the battery, I connect the battery directly to a BMW style plug. I like the OEM look of the BMW style plugs rather than a pigtail connection.

On the '08 KGT there is a punch-out for a second BMW style plug. I used a BMW plug, and with some wire cutting and soldering it is now attached directly to the battery with an inline 15 amp fuse.

The '02 K1200RS has the same setup. I did use an aftermarket socket, Powerlet.

The '16 R1200RS LC has only one socket/plug hole. I removed the OEM socket and replaced it with a Powerlet socket wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

The Powerlet sockets are not up to the same standards as the BMW plug but because the BMW plug requires their trick waterproof socket, I went with the PowerLet for ease of installation.

Twice the Powerlet socket on the R1200RS has required adjusting/repair.

For chargers I went with Die Hard Smart Chargers and Maintainers. They are WIFI capable.

Load their app and you have access to the state of the charge on the connected battery. I have four of them connected to three bikes and one car.

Twice now the WIFI capability has saved me the cost of a battery. Once when I left the key in the '08 K1200GT on.

About a day after I left it on, I checked the app and saw charging/maintaining was stopped. I went out to the shop, turned off the key, reconnected the charger, and within two days the battery was back up to 100%.

On another occasion I did about the same thing with one of our cars. I check the Die Hard app regularly now. They have just about paid for themselves.

Rather than attaching a pigtail directly to the battery, I connect the battery directly to a BMW style plug.

The shop did the same to our K1300S bikes when they were new. I liked that setup.
I was going to do the same on the RS until I saw the socket was on the right side of the bike.
Most heated jacket liners have the wire on the left side and I didn't think I would like having the wire draped over my lap.

Back