• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Please Help a Nooby with Bluetooth

G

GIZMO

Trying to break the bonds of wired communications, so this is my first foray into Bluetooth and need some help. I have just purchased the Schuberth C3 and SRC system and I have a Garmin Zumo 550. I initially tried pairing my phone to the Zumo and I have an SD card with tunes on it. I figured this was the best set-up. I quickly found out the Zumo 550 does not play in stereo and it will play music and provide voice GPS instructions, but when a call through, it locks up or crashes. So I paired my phone where my tunes reside to the SRC to get stereo, but then I loose connection with my GPS. I understand the Zumo 660 & 665 have the newer Bluetooth protocols to achieve stereo, but was wondering if either of these units will play music, give GPS directions and receive a phone call without shutting down or crashing. Thanks.

I really wish there was an answer, but there isn't. Using Bluetooth is a hit and/or miss proposition right now. My Samsung Rogue was supposed to be compatible with my Garmin 765T but it never worked. Folks could hear me but I could never hear them. However, I could, and still can, run my Rogue and my 765T to my J&M, in parallel. With my Zumo 660, same thing with the phone but with the J&M it is either/or, not both in parallel. But, the Garmins and the J&M work well together. The bottom line is, some work, some don't. Sorry for this type of answer but that is just the way it is.

Trying to break the bonds of wired communications, so this is my first foray into Bluetooth and need some help. I have just purchased the Schuberth C3 and SRC system and I have a Garmin Zumo 550. I initially tried pairing my phone to the Zumo and I have an SD card with tunes on it. I figured this was the best set-up. I quickly found out the Zumo 550 does not play in stereo and it will play music and provide voice GPS instructions, but when a call through, it locks up or crashes. So I paired my phone where my tunes reside to the SRC to get stereo, but then I loose connection with my GPS. I understand the Zumo 660 & 665 have the newer Bluetooth protocols to achieve stereo, but was wondering if either of these units will play music, give GPS directions and receive a phone call without shutting down or crashing. Thanks.
While you are waiting for a more direct answer, you might want to try the search box with keywords such as bluetooth zumo shuberth. HTH Gary

I understand the Zumo 660 & 665 have the newer Bluetooth protocols to achieve stereo, but was wondering if either of these units will play music, give GPS directions and receive a phone call without shutting down or crashing. Thanks.

Yes they will with the Scala Rider G4 which I believe is the same system that Schuberth uses.

Lee

Bluetooth, cutting the cord...

Gizmo, et al...now that you've entered the wireless realm, so to speak, the adventure awaits, fun at times, but not all games at other times.

Anyway, lots of good sources and forums out there...www.webbikeworld.com is one good source for Bluetooth, especially on the later systems.

Both the zumo 660 and 665 units do stereo (A2DP) streaming and typically work really well with the Sena SMH-10 and Cardo G4 and Q2 systems, and of course the Schuberth SRC System, which is based on the G4 architecture. Most newer smart phones will work just fine, either paired through the zumo (host) for phone purposes, or if you want, paired directly to the Bluetooth helmet headset so that phone and stereo audio can be streamed from the respective function on the smartphone.

Switching is typically pretty good, connections are usually made reliably and there are very few crashes, with related reboots needed...the latest firmware updates for the G4 and as of today, the Schuberth SRC System to version 3 have really helped stabilize the platforms.

Bluetooth, as noted, is not 'perfect', but it has come a long way and I've treated it as a viable medium for motorcycle use for a number of years, and watched it evolved greatly since then. In providing a totally or near wireless environment, it is hard to beat right now and its pretty cost effective in many ways.

If you have any specific questions, etc, PM me, always willing to help when possible.

Cheers, Bruce

Last edited:
My Android phone plays MP3music in stereo on my Schuberth helmet. I expect that any recent Bluetooth equipment would also do so.

I have the droid X and use it with my G4. One thing to keep in mind is that the G4 or SC3 can only pair with one blue tooth device. In other words, if you're blue tooth connected to your GPS you can't also blue tooth connect with your phone. You either have to direct wire your phone to the G4 or blue tooth your phone to the GPS and then blue tooth the GPS to your G4.

The GPS can bluetooth to both your phone and a headset, thats why the G4/SC3 manual tell you to connect your phone to the GPS first.

In your case I would direct wire the stereo music source to the SC3 and just blue tooth the GPS for direction. Keep in mind whatevers direct wired will have last priority so if your phone is direct wired GPS directions will talk over a phone call.

Back