• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tell me, why choose an F800GS or F700 GS over R1200GS?

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
I'm looking at switching from 2008 R1200 RT to a GS. So tell me your thoughts regarding the pros and cons of the F800, F700, vs R1200GS.

Or maybe you want to chime in about the G650GS?

Okay, given the threads below, (today is July 19, 2016), it seems I was way too vague for many people. Others chimed in, on an assumption of the question I was asking, and they made the right assumption. I am looking for your thoughts on pros and cons of the different models.

However, to give you better background... I add the following information....

My history: I am a street rider and ride a 2008 R1200RT with a low seat.
I am 5' 8" tall and weigh about 156 lbs.
I have a 28.5" in-seam with bare feet.
I am 56 years old.
I am not as "strong as a bull"; maybe a yearling calf.
I have (maybe it is all in my head) a spirit of adventure with a desire to go off-road.

Will I go off-road lots? I don't know.
Will it be fire roads and a few trails, but nothing too hairy - most likely.
Will I only go off-road a wee tiny little bit, maybe? I don't know yet.

Stopping with one foot down is normal for me, but on the pavement or a gravel parking lot.
I can pick and choose where I stop (99% of time). I expect off-road, I may not always have that choice of nice even ground or at least ground with the right camber.

I rode a 2014 F700GS for two days in the Alps (regular suspension, low seat) in Aug 2014.
I rented and rode a 2015 R1200GS, low suspension, regular seat, for two weeks on a tour of the Alps. (I LOVE the boxer motor...)

I am interested in other peoples personal experiences, points of views and why they made the bike the choices for them that they do; re: the models above, or another off-road dual sport.
My issue, if I go off road, is size and weight. That is the reason I am pondering and looking for other people's views on the other bikes.

No, I won't buy a bike without riding it for a day, or more, to really be able to test it out, at least with a few hours in the saddle, even if it is on pavement only.

A little jaunt, for me, doesn't inform me properly, I need more time than 20 minutes around the block a few times - which is what the local dealers will allow, if they allow you to get on a bike at all.
I live near Vancouver, BC and the local dealers are pretty stingy about test rides.

I likely will end up renting the F800GS for a day.

In Aug 2016 I am taking a 6 hour off-road course on (250cc) small bikes.

Likely in Feb I will go to California and take a two day course, Rawhide Adventures, on one of the three mentioned bikes above (R1200GS, F800GS, G650GS - which are the three models that I believe they have).

I won't make a decision to buy a bike on what other's tell me they did, I have a curious mind; and am interested in why people chose what they chose. Some of those reasons may be applicable to me; some will not.

Others may not care what anyone thinks or does, or why they made the choice they did. They make their own choices, based on their own assumptions and experiences, and as such believe, and perhaps are, omnipotent. I am not, and I have no problem admitting it.

I hope the above provides enough explanation for the reader to understand why I ask...

"Hey, can you share your thoughts, opinions and experiences regarding the models mentioned above so I can get a better understanding of some of the different things I might consider when choosing a new dual sport model?"

Oh, and yes, I am subscribed to this thread and come back often. That is who I am. I ask a question, hope for feedback, and read what others write. I value your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks in advance for posting...

Last edited:
This is a little off the subject but in late 2013, I traded an 800+ pound Victory Vision 8 Ball for a 2013 F700GS and it re-vitalised my riding.

No surprise that the F700GS is quicker, brakes better, handles better and is better finished than my Vic. With the side Vario Cases, it can also carry more stuff (the 8 Ball Visions did not have the top case).

I don't do off road, my GS is strictly a street bike, I like the riding position and it handles the highway at 60 to 70 mph, all day, no problem.

However, a little more on the lines of your question, I just turned 64 and have a bad right knee (arthroscopic surgery in fall 2014) and a sometimes painful back; so, I really appreciate the ease of moving the lighter bike in a parking lot or the garage, etc.

The R1200GS is a great bike and if money/space were no an issue, I'd likely have one as a 2nd (or 3rd) bike ;)

My wife rides so I don't need a big bike for two up.

At 6' - 3" bike seat height is not an issue so that was not a consideration for me as far as bike size goes.

I always said the only way I would have a bike with a chain is if I liked EVERYTHING else about the bike, never thought I'd find that, but the F700GS is that bike, for me.

As Marty said, I can try to answer any questions that you might have.

F800GS: 21 inch front wheel is better off road, more suspension travel, better ground clearance, lighter weight (but not a lot with accessories), chain drive (easy to change gearing), lower initial cost (also made up with mods and accessories).

The 800 is my perfect GS and second (first?) bike. My K1200GT is a great tourer, so no need for one bike to fit both tasks.

Hi, I have an F700 and Diann has an F650.

The bike is smller and lighter than the 1200 which is a plus.

Both machines have the chain oiler so maintenance is a once per year adjustment.

Both machines have great brakes, suspension and fuel economy.

Nothing bad to say about either one, except perhaps for their complexity..............Rod.

Definitely. Which really speaks to the original question posed by the OP.

So often, we follow what the marketing folks tell us we need. They tell us bigger is better, when in fact, there are times when it isn't. I was only offering up a viewpoint from someone who I hope is given more credit for knowing what he's talking about than I deserve. :)

Chris

These threads make me wonder. Rather than go ride the bikes and make a decision the OP's ask for an opinion from others. Do people really make decisions this way? I've owned and ridden all 4 of the mentioned bikes and can't believe that anyone would spend money without riding them to see if they fit their idea of a bike they want to own. Yes, they are all different in many ways.:scratch

These threads make me wonder. Rather than go ride the bikes and make a decision the OP's ask for an opinion from others. Do people really make decisions this way? I've owned and ridden all 4 of the mentioned bikes and can't believe that anyone would spend money without riding them to see if they fit their idea of a bike they want to own. Yes, they are all different in many ways.:scratch

^ I don't recall the OP ever saying "tell me which bike to buy, so i can buy it sight unseen." Why would you assume that his his intent?
I'd think with your knowledge of each model he's interested in you might have been a bit more helpful.
JMHO.

I bought a '09 F8GS on eBay in June 2009. Flew to D.C. to pick it up, headed towards home in CO the next day. Had never ridden one, but had sat upon, so knew the bike fit me. Great bike, lots of fun. Pretty nimble, handles quite well on the street or dirt (tho it's better off-road than I am), quick, fast enough, great gas mpg. Hot. Tubed tires.

I just bought a 2016 R12GS. Big bike..... but wow. (beyond all the superlatives about the bigGS, i really just like the feel of BMW big twins over uprights)

Attachments

• Road up to Lava Point 1, ZNP.jpg
    Road up to Lava Point 1, ZNP.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 362

Hi. I am interested in other's points of views and why they make the choices for them that they do.
I won't buy a bike without riding it for a few days. That is why I rented the 1200GS for two weeks last summer to tour the Alps. Great bike.
I love the opposed twins. My issue, if I go off road, is size and weight. That is the reason I am pondering and looking for other people's views on the other bikes.

A little jaunt, for me, doesn't inform me properly, I need more time than 20 minutes around the block a few times - which is what the local dealers will allow, if they allow you to get on a bike at all.
I live near Vancouver, BC and the local dealers are pretty stingy about test rides.

I will end up renting the F800GS for a day. I've ridden an F700GS for two days two summers ago; again in the Alps.

So, no I won't make a decision to buy a bike on what other's tell me they did, I have a curious mind. Perhaps some don't.

In Aug 2016 I am taking a 6 hour off-road course on small bikes. Likely in Feb I will go to California and take a two day course, Rawhide Adventures, on one of the three mentioned bikes above (R1200GS, F800GS, G650GS - which are the three models that I believe they have).

If I was 6' 3"; 220lbs; 40 years old, strong like bull, had lots of off road experience, I would likely get a R1200GS without even enquiring. But I'm not. I am a street rider, R1200RT, 5' 8", 156 lbs, with a 28.5" in-seam; and 56 years old; and a spirit of adventure with a desire to go off-road. Lots? I don't know. Little, maybe? I don't know yet.

Stopping with one foot down is normal for me, but on the road, I can pick and choose where I stop (99% of time). I expect off-road, I may not always have that choice of nice even ground or at least ground with the right camber.

And so because you have ridden all four bikes, and know they are different in different ways - why wouldn't you share that wisdom?

^ I don't recall the OP ever saying "tell me which bike to buy, so i can buy it sight unseen." Why would you assume that his his intent?
I'd think with your knowledge of each model he's interested in you might have been a bit more helpful.
JMHO.

I bought a '09 F8GS on eBay in June 2009. Flew to D.C. to pick it up, headed towards home in CO the next day. Had never ridden one, but had sat upon, so knew the bike fit me. Great bike, lots of fun. Pretty nimble, handles quite well on the street or dirt (tho it's better off-road than I am), quick, fast enough, great gas mpg. Hot. Tubed tires.

I just bought a 2016 R12GS. Big bike..... but wow. (beyond all the superlatives about the bigGS, i really just like the feel of BMW big twins over uprights)

Thanks for the support.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and thanks to everyone above you in this thread that shared their thoughts, although Paul's was the epitome of brief, and I'm not sure what to take away from it - good, bad, indifferent?

Yes I too LOVE the opposed twins, and the R1200GS wethead (and the R1200RT wethead) has an amazing torque curve!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and thanks to everyone above you in this thread that shared their thoughts, although Paul's was the epitome of brief, and I'm not sure what to take away from it - good, bad, indifferent?

Tubeless = good. Having sat beside the road near Chicken, Alaska extracting a tube from a tire on my F650 I am not inclined to want inner tubes - technology of the 1920s - on my motorcycle ever again. I don't do jumps and otherwise pound my wheels and tires off road so don't need tubes and spokes.

I've been at airports for the past 15 hours. Another 5 hours and I'll be at SFO. Later tonight I'll do my best to compare the 4 bikes. Sorry about the 'tude but I see posts like this almost daily and the OP usually never comes back after the initial post. The only offload time I have is in Alaska so my thoughts in that area are useless.

Later.

Wheels - as Paul pointed out
Suspension bits/and setup
Engine tuning.

I looked at both about a year ago in my search for an urban adv bike. For that purpose I would have chosen the F700. I love the look of spoked wheels but do not want to live with them on a day to day basis. The suspension seemed more in tune with what I wanted, but I liked the engine tuning of the F800 a bit better. For my purposes neither made a big enough difference to my situation to make me open my wallet.

I think I get your question. Both are fine bikes. What is missing in your original question is what your purpose is.

Good luck with your search and decision.

Hi everyone. It is July 19th at 12:37 pm PST.

I added additional information/clarifications in my FIRST post to, hopefully, provide more full information and a clearer question to what and why I am asking what I am asking.

If you are interested, please re-read the start of this thread - OP Post#1.

Thanks for your input to date.

Which GS?

I'll start by saying I'm 5'9" weigh 150 lbs and just turned 80.

650 GS was my first in '04. Crossed the country twice from atlanta to seattle. Nice bike but I carry a lot and it didn't satisfy me. Not as fast or comfortable as I wanted.

12GS was next. I've had 6 of them and done over 250k miles in 49 states and 21 other countries. Perfect for me. Carries anything I think I need and is stable at 100 mph.

A few years ago when the 800 came out I thought due to age I should get a smaller/lighter bike. It was as tall/weighed maybe 25 lbs. less and could not compare in my mind in any way to the 1200GS. I sold it after a month and 2k miles.

Last year still having thoughts about aging I bought the 700GS. Very nice bike/much better than the 650 on the road at speed. Love the 700 which I rode a few days ago in Atlanta. Just did a 100 or so miles on the 1 in norcal on my 12GS. By far the best of the bunch in every way. I'll ride the 12GS until I can't handle it, then I'll back down to the 7GS till I get old!

Hope this helps a bit. I should add that I never test rode any of them prior to purchase. Not smart, but that's the way I am. I did test fly all the aircraft I bought and used for business tho!

Best of luck on your decision.

I'll start by saying I'm 5'9" weigh 150 lbs and just turned 80.

650 GS was my first in '04. Crossed the country twice from atlanta to seattle. Nice bike but I carry a lot and it didn't satisfy me. Not as fast or comfortable as I wanted.

12GS was next. I've had 6 of them and done over 250k miles in 49 states and 21 other countries. Perfect for me. Carries anything I think I need and is stable at 100 mph.

A few years ago when the 800 came out I thought due to age I should get a smaller/lighter bike. It was as tall/weighed maybe 25 lbs. less and could not compare in my mind in any way to the 1200GS. I sold it after a month and 2k miles.

Last year still having thoughts about aging I bought the 700GS. Very nice bike/much better than the 650 on the road at speed. Love the 700 which I rode a few days ago in Atlanta. Just did a 100 or so miles on the 1 in norcal on my 12GS. By far the best of the bunch in every way. I'll ride the 12GS until I can't handle it, then I'll back down to the 7GS till I get old!

Hope this helps a bit. I should add that I never test rode any of them prior to purchase. Not smart, but that's the way I am. I did test fly all the aircraft I bought and used for business tho!

Best of luck on your decision.

Thank you Marty, your comments are helpful. I love the 1200GS and the RT. Maybe I need to do weight lifting to increase my strength.

I find on pavement, I can handle either, but moving around in the garage is tricky, never dropped it, but they are tall and heavy, especially with a full tank of gas. The new RT has a lessened inner leg curve that helps with getting both feet on the ground, and when I took one for test ride (when it came out) I thought WOW this is the bike for me.

But it won't do for off-road. Maybe I'm kidding myself about the off-road bit, but I really want to explore beyond the payment.

If I lived in the Alps, not sure I'ld care. But in North America, good paved roads are limited (within an easy driving range) AND there are a ton of off-roads all over the place.

The off-road course I take on the 250's will likely compel me to pursue or turn me off of off-roading. So one step at a time.

I plan on changing up my bike to a new one in the early spring. So want to decide by Jan/Feb.

I am heading for the F700GS, but will need to ride the F800GS to compare the difference.

I am also going to take a two day side car course by http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org to determine if a Ural might be the off-road vehicle of choice. Never ridden a hack, but my wife, who is 10 years my senior says she would consider coming in it. She will never get on a mc as a pillion.

I am a Professional Engineer, and one could say I analyze too much, live too little. That might be true.
However, I do have a budget, and a spouse, and she supports my passion, but there are limits with her tolerance for my spending.

In a perfect world, I would have 2 or 3 bikes of various types. Not sure I could afford the insurance living in Canada. I have over 25 years driving without an accident, so I get the cheapest rate available, but the RT still costs about $2,000 per year to insure. so three bikes would be upwards of $6,000! That's a lot of money in my world.

I envy your position to have both the F700GS and R1200GS.

Thanks for sharing.

Back