• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated Gear

redcat43

redcat43
Has anyone installed the Gerbing's or Baryl 3Br 12V Panel Mount Port on their bike?

I have an R1200RT and this looks like somewhat more elegant solution than my present installation where the socket is left dangling from under the seat and scraping on the tupperware.

You can have the dealer install the police socket at the fairing instead of the regular one. This goes directly to the battery and bypasses the CANBUS. Passenger can continue to use the rear socket.

2012 r1200rt

I am using the Gerbing's entire length of wiring directly from the battery. It is fed up from the battery in front of the front seat and along the left side of the seat and side panel. When not in use, I tuck the wiring alongside the bottom of the front seat and the side panel, then in between front and rear seats with just the plastic loop of the plug slightly exposed between the seats. When needed I can just give the loop a little tug to pull out the plug and the entire length of wiring.
The loop lies right in the middle of the front and rear seats like it belongs there.
Seems like there is plenty of clearance without the wiring chafing on itself, the panel or the seats.

I have always used the Gerbing's connector wired directly to the battery and with the connector end sticking out from under the seat. That way always worked fine, but I was looking for a nicer solution. Today I installed Gerbing's flush mount connector and am really happy with the results. I drilled a 5/16" hole thru the left side panel below the passenger seat on my R1200RT. The connector socket is flush with the side panel and has a molded rubber cap on a tether to keep it from getting lost. Took about 1/2 hour to do the install. Much more elegant than the dangling connector,IMOP.

Sorry 'bout the picture size

Attachments

• Flush Mount Uncapped.jpg
    Flush Mount Uncapped.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 684
Back