• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Smell

helmet funk

The English bike mags say fill it up with soap and water and let it sit for a while and then rinse with plain water. They also say put it in the dishwasher, both work. I live on the south Texas coast ,it is regularly 95 degrees with 100% humidity. Talk about funk! When I soak my helmets a real black funk oozes out of the liners and shell along with the soap. I have been washing them for years and they smell like brand new every time.The shells are made of closed cell foam and the liners are just cloth- soap and water does not hurt anything. My take is, if soap and water is going to degrade anything -what good is the helmet anyway.

The English bike mags say fill it up with soap and water and let it sit for a while and then rinse with plain water. They also say put it in the dishwasher, both work. I live on the south Texas coast ,it is regularly 95 degrees with 100% humidity. Talk about funk! When I soak my helmets a real black funk oozes out of the liners and shell along with the soap. I have been washing them for years and they smell like brand new every time.The shells are made of closed cell foam and the liners are just cloth- soap and water does not hurt anything. My take is, if soap and water is going to degrade anything -what good is the helmet anyway.

I'm glad there are those who see the light (or funk in this case.....):thumb

Back