• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Thankyou Karol and Deb...

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
I don't know how you did it but you designed the most perfect weather out here that one could hope for. A storm at night...sorry about the tent fly blowing away to those who lost one, but the days have been incredibly nice. Sunny, breezy, and in the '80s.
Hot damn!

Oh wait, cowboy country...Yippee!

Oh wait again...it's a great rally too. We think well organized and well attended. Super facility.

Viki and Jack

Last edited:
They did do a good job, and they're gracious as well. During my stint on the main gate, Karol took the time to ride out and say "thank you".

I didn't stay long, but what time I did spend there was great.

Tom

YES,big thank you Deb and karol

Thanks for all the hard work over the last year. I for one had a good time, even if it was in Gillette!:D I helped out at registration, Wednesday and Thursday and ended up with 2 1/2 shifts and loved it, I had a lots of fun! I got to do the demo rides all three days, now that was a blast. It was nice to see all the venders that we don't have anywhere around here. I made new friends for all over. Thank you for the rally, you two did a outstading job!!!So, my hats off to you.:thumb Richard

Superb job, great Rally !!!

Superb job on the rally, from a rally virgin. Amazing what you all pulled together with just volunteers. I put in some time at the charging booth, met lotsa folks, and had a great time. I'm working on my photos now. :clap
--Doug

A big +1 I was quite taken back at how great the rally was! thanks to EVERYONE who helped put it together!

+1

I want to add my thanks too! A fabulous facility! Well organized, well executed! :clap Thanks also to all the volunteers that helped to make it a great event! Especially the Shuttle folks. Those shuttles to the N. 40 made the rally really work. A lot of folks missed out by not coming to Gillette.

Karol and Deb,

You did a great job. Putting on a national rally is a lot of work and both of you worked hard. Every time I saw either one of you, you were always looking after the details which is what makes the difference.

Thank you for all your hard work and making the rally a great time. :clap

Jim Lawrence

Great job for what??

Guys, were you at the same rally I was? Almost everything about this was a joke. Gillette Wyoming?? No trees, no shade. I enjoyed the 1/2 mile hike to the showers. By the time I walked back to the camp area, I needed another shower. The Music was so lame. The complete lack of food was unacceptable!! The painfully long closing ceremony was full of worthless contest winners. Who Cares about that crap? We talked with so many people who had the some opinion as us. Very disapointed

Guys, were you at the same rally I was? Almost everything about this was a joke. Gillette Wyoming?? No trees, no shade. I enjoyed the 1/2 mile hike to the showers. By the time I walked back to the camp area, I needed another shower. The Music was so lame. The complete lack of food was unacceptable!! The painfully long closing ceremony was full of worthless contest winners. Who Cares about that crap? We talked with so many people who had the some opinion as us. Very disapointed

This was my second rally and I guess I don't have much experience to judge this against, however, in the spirit of full disclosure I would like to make the following points:

If you don't like something get involved and fix it. This is your association. A lot of good people put a lot of their own time and effort to pull this off. Was it the best rally in the history of MOA - probably not, however, anytime not spent at work is a good day.

Finally, in the immortal words of Thumper: "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."

I can't say one good thing about the Gillette Rally.

I can list many that I experienced.
There were some lines for some food, but I never waited more than a half hour, and I enjoy standing around and talking with BMW riders.
Chalk me off as odd.

I enjoyed the music, the rain, if you have to have it, was timely.
Some have described what might be considered negative, aspects of this rally. Unfortunately, everyone of these things has happened at other Nat'ls, in one way or another, these things happen. I was prepared, as was everybody in our group. The fact that Gillette was [insert negative description of town] in no way took from my experience. People asked me what was going on at the Camplex and were very friendly. They had all the things I needed, food, ice and pop/soda.:D We had a great meal at the Mexican restaurant about a mile from the rally, no Beemer riders there. I was sad that I didn't find 3 forum members I really wanted to meet. I did meet many others though, which was great. I had a great time, but I was expecting to no matter what.

Must you rain on everyones parade?

If you go to a motorcycle rally, expect to bring your own food and take few showers.

..and the closing ceremony would carry on without you; just leave.

Do you expect us to respond to your whining by PM'ing you some internet kleenex?

Must you rain on everyones parade?

If you go to a motorcycle rally, expect to bring your own food and take few showers.

..and the closing ceremony would carry on without you; just leave.

Do you expect us to respond to your whining by PM'ing you some internet kleenex?

Ahh, Crazydrummerdude, I was pointing out the failures of this rally so that others might know it wasn't that great. If the MOA promises food for an event, then we should expect to get it. That's all.

Please send the kleenex as soon as possible. I've used all of mine wiping the tears of laughter at your and others comments to my posts. Are your personal attacks at me any more appropriate than my comments about the rally? At least I didn't direct my comments at any one person. Have a great day Dude.

Mikey boy reminds me of a seagull,if he ain't shittin',he's squawkin'. Quitcherbitchin'and volunteer next time.

Mike,

I'm pretty sure that this thread was supposed to be a big thank you to the people who made it happen. You can take your sardonic comments elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't have taken a lot of research on your part to discover that Gillette is remote, to say the least, and that you should have just stayed home if that wasn't your cup of tea.

My fiance and I made the best of it. She didn't have a problem with the showers, and was in fact grateful that they were there. I learned a few things at various seminars, saw a lot of neat bikes that I've never been lucky enough to see in person before, met a bunch of GREAT people off the forums, and enjoyed the ride to and from the rally.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my friend. I know that I need the occasional attitude adjustment. Maybe you just need a tune up?

Adam

The painfully long closing ceremony was full of worthless contest winners. Who Cares about that crap?

I take it you didn't win anything?

I wasn't there this year, but I can agree that, in general, closing ceremonies can be long. But "worthless contest winners"? Is it too painful for you to watch other's enjoy themselves? My daughter and I have twice won a plaque for two up female. Is that lame? Not to my kid, and not to me, cause it's fun. FUN, that is why we go to rallies. And if you don't find them fun, AND we recognize that not everyone will, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO GO.

I would not go to a GS event and complain the roads are muddy! I'd go find an event that is more suitable for me. Hope you find your fun elsewhere.

1751436560_08e992bdc4.jpg

Rally

As a first timer, and a newcomer to BMW bikes, I would like to extend my appreciation for a job well done.
Volunteering is a thankless task, and having done so under several other organizations, I have concluded that generally those that complain most, do the least.......(not always of course :stick )
Thanks again to all involved, while I was only there for two days as I had to start making my way back home, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I volunteered remotely (I designed the two rally logos that were used on the Web, in the ON and on T-shirts, patches, pins, mugs, medals, banners and awards, etc.) but didn't have the opportunity to physically attend the rally.

However, if Karol's and Deb's lucid, professional and friendly communications and project management skills (that I was privy to in the months leading up to the rally) were any indication, then their event was a rousing success. It was a sincere pleasure working with the Co-Chairs this year and from much of the feedback I can see just how great a job they'd done.

Thank you, Karol and Deb! :thumb

I have to agree with Mike a little bit. On Thursday evening the food vendors, all 5 of them, ran out of food. Thankfully the Pizza Hut guy ran out and got some more pizza or there would not have been anything to eat on site, except for the popcorn.

I had no issues with the site or Gillette. I knew there wasn't going to be any shade and that you would have to drive 60 miles to get to some interesting riding. All things I knew before showing up. But having only 5 food vendors on Thursday had to be some kind of mix up.

By the way, before you start attacking me, I did volunteer, as I do each year. This year I worked 8 hours at the registration area on Thursday. Won't do that again as it was too much work. That was one long day.:)

Mike, my guess is that you weren' the guy who set up next to or on a sprinkler head or you wouldn't be complaining about the long hike to the showers. Maybe you should have set up in the North Forty like I did. My tent was 50 feet from a shower trailer and 100 feet from a shuttle stop. If you were having such a bad time you should have just left. I'm sure the rest of us would have sensed your absense. Any trip or event is what you make of it and I guess that your trip wound up like your attitude--sour. Great job Carol and Deb and to all the staff and volunteers. I did a shift at gate 2 on Saturday and the staff even provided me with shade in the likes of a straw hat. Can't beat that. I had a great time.

Back