• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

new R1200RS

I did do a constant dollar price comparison with the price I paid for a new R100RS in Dec 1983, and the prices are the same ... making the new bike quite a bargain and quite an accomplishment by BMW.

I agree with you on the inflation adjusted price. The current prices are similar to those of the mid 1980.

However, I'm still finalizing my opinion of the build quality and design. The plastic in the mid 1980's was mostly fiberglass and the paint on the tank was a work of art. Today, there's lots of plastic covering lots of "none too pretty" welds.

Ergo tweeks

I just got my RS and anticipate needing to add bar risers and peg lowering to accommodate my old bones. Can you advise what kind you installed and your impressions

Regards,

Lee

It is clear the new R1200RS is not the bike for every one. What bike is? That is why BMW and all the other Manufactures offer so many models.

Having owned an R100RT, which was quite similar to the R100RS, I can say there are huge differences. Good or bad is a matter of personal preference.

I preorder the new R1200RS after sitting on one a a motorcycle show. I like brisk riding and long distance touring. For me the new generations of the RT had gotten to big, to bulbous, and the GS are just too tall and top heavy. The new R1200RS answered my needs.
All the benefits of the new wet head engine, the new suspension and electronics with a fixed adequate fairing. That is why I bought one.

But like most BMW owners, I have tailored my RS to best suit my needs, lower foot pegs to unfold older knees, bar risers to sit up a bit straighter, and a bit wider wind screen. 9000 miles and loving it.

I just got my RS and anticipate needing to add bar risers and peg lowering to accommodate my old bones. Can you advise what kind you installed and your impressions

Regards,

Lee

I installed the handlebar risers from Helibars and think they are perfect. I'm still using the stock pegs and find them fine, I don't seem to mind having my legs bent a bit, and lower pegs would reduce cornering clearance. I am 5'9" for reference.

Regards,

Lee

Give it a few thousand miles before making changes to your bike.

I admit I am not like most BMW riders, but I have not modified the ergonomics of any of my bikes; never modified the pegs, the seat, the bars, no risers, and although I have experimented from time with a taller/lower windshield, I have always gone back to the original as the best one for me. My bike-purchasing approach is to find the bike that fits me the best from the factory, and then I simply get used to whatever small adjustments needed for my body to ride comfortably. This has worked well for me on six or seven bikes, nearly 200,000 miles and all lower 48 at least three times on three different bikes. If it were up to me, most after-market companies would go broke.

Same with me. I keep trying to hate the stock seat on my bike, but so far I'm unsuccessful. I guess I'll need some longer days in it...

Do you mean the Mudsling or the BMW mud guard sold in the UK and Australia?
Both are good accessories?

Following your lead, I installed the BMW Australian/NZ mud guard. Afterwards, I installed the MaMo Mudsling & engine shield.

Back