• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

'13 BMW F800GS - "one of the BEST"

soph9

Just took delivery of two '13 BMW F800GS and we are really loving to move from our 2010 F650GS. We find the ESA to be a big plus on the crappy paved roads we find around where we live and elsewhere. Can't wait to take them out for a real trip!

Cheryl's White F8

P1020506-XL.jpg

Our garage is happy again

P1020505-XL.jpg

P1020546-XL.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yH-AHJuEjW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P1020547-XL.jpg

Very nice! This is the bike I am looking at for off-road, or more likely all-road riding next spring. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

will post when we get a good feeling for the off road but I think we have an idea how it will do.;)

added some rox risers today. Cheryl has a TT GPS mount that she will need a different set up when she installs her risers too. I had 20mm on my 650 and they seem to do the trick. On the 800 I need more of a rise and pull back for some reason. Cheryl also feels the need for risers on this bike when she didn't on the 650. Still have to adjust them tomorrow. Move the brake and clutch perch a little to relieve the right brake line. Clutch is OK but want to perches to look even. No need to change cables.

P1020558-XL.jpg

Also, need to ride a bit to see exactly where I want the bars. I think I will get a wire harness for our GPS and mount so I can use it when not with Cheryl

P1020553-XL.jpg

In this next picture need to scoot the bars over to the left a bit

P1020554-XL.jpg

I've been thinking about risers for mine. I have the BMW GPS and handlebar mount, though, and wonder if the risers would put the GPS in the way of the speedo and tach.

you might have to relocate the GPS like Cheryl will. Have you thought about Aux lights? We have Denali lights and haven't seen an existing mount option yet to place them on the bikes.

you might have to relocate the GPS like Cheryl will. Have you thought about Aux lights? We have Denali lights and haven't seen an existing mount option yet to place them on the bikes.

I have SW Mototech crash bars and there are holes on each side where additional foot pegs could be mounted and I think they would also work for aux lights. That's the idea I am researching now, anyway. I'd hate to have to move my GPS, I really like where it is now since it makes it easy to glance down and see it and all the gauges.

we thought about mounting them on the crash bars...they would have to be inside the bars to avoid getting damaged if the bike drops. There is a place under the beak by the radiator that looks good if there was a bracket.

we thought about mounting them on the crash bars...they would have to be inside the bars to avoid getting damaged if the bike drops. There is a place under the beak by the radiator that looks good if there was a bracket.

Good point, I would have lost my right side light already if they were mounted there. :doh

I've also looked at PIAA aux lights and they have a mount that attaches to the nose and puts the lights inside the radius of turn signals so they'd be fairly well protected. You can also just get the brackets and It looks like they should work with other types of lights.

we have to stay clear of the signals...legal wise...we are gonna wait to see what Twisted Throttle does. They say they are working on a bike specific mount...eta..who knows.

Didn't you have 650GS's (twin)? Why did you trade to 800? Would be interesting to know.

Thanks Jack
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696871

above is the link to our RR to Alaska in 2011

yep you are correct. My bike had 60,000KM on it and Cheryl's almost 50 thousand. Warranties coming up too. PLUS, it was time for new bikes for us and we gave each other an 800 for an engagement gift. We went to the 800 because last summer we were able to ride the new Triumph Tiger 800XC for 44 days. Gave them back. We loved that bike minus a few pet peeves. When this bike came out we were not too impressed with the lack of attention to the seat and it not being adjustable like the Triumph's. But also did not really pay attention to the ESA. When I learned more about ESA in the theory the BMW became pretty interesting to us again. We also love our luggage and would be able to transfer the mounts into the new Beemers.

So, in the end the ESA for us is doing the trick on the road for road comfort. We like the 21inch front and the wider handle bars and longer stance. We are not hard core off road riders but wanted better suspension too. So, we bought the 800's. I am getting a custom seat made right now and included is a gel pad. So, if the seat comes out as comfy as I hope then we have a road savvy bike with definite off road handling. Best of both worlds. How is that for an answer?

I have received many "I am disappointed" emails and private messages that we did not buy Triumphs. Some even have gone as far to say my credibility has been questioned about my review of the Tigers. I say it's our money, BMW has done some cool things on this bike, and we still think the world of the Tigers but like I said above BMW made some smart improvements.

we have to stay clear of the signals...legal wise...we are gonna wait to see what Twisted Throttle does. They say they are working on a bike specific mount...eta..who knows.

I ordered the PIAA's but they are pretty close to the signals.

pic77650.jpg

on the new F8 those would not work...the signals are up high now...

Hmmm, I may have to figure out a different place to mount them or send them back. I should have noticed that before I ordered, thanks for pointing it out.

edited: Took a look at mine and the signals are level with the bottom of the headlights and should just clear the tops of the PIAAs, so I may be OK.

you might want to make sure that when the lights are on...the AUX lights that is that the signals can still be seen clearly by cars...just saying...better be safe than sorry

Back