• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The infamous R1200RT tool kit

I have this Slime kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-50001-Power-Sport-Smart/dp/B000M8SY0I

1.jpg

Just ditch the Slime Sealant and the cheesy pressure gauge, and add a reamer and these plugs and you're all set for about $30.
2.jpg,2 - Copy.jpg

There is a Slime 40001 as well as a 50001 kit. Just verify...I think pump & accessories are the same, but one may come with the green slime & one may not.

Or, many rave about the Stop-N-Go Motorcycle Products here:
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/

This is their bike kit:
http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-puncture-pilot-for-motorcycles-scooters-atvs/

When I have my BMW tankbag I carry a Slime Pump like the one Rocketman posted.
When I use the small Bag-Connection tankbag I use a pump that I removed from a cheap Walmart pump.

IMG_0093.jpg

Reece, if your bike has Canbus the accessory outlet probably run a air pump, but the battery pack you carry should work.

Here's a pic north of Big Bend NP where a friend plugged a flat on a K1200S but his bike would not run his tire pump. We ended up plugging the pump into Debbie's non canbus bike.
Picture_025.jpg

We were lucky to have the shade of a Border Patrol station to do the work.
Picture_023.jpg

Universally, from what I have read, the Cyclepump is the best there is for small 12v pumps.
http://www.aerostich.com/cycle-pump-air-compressor.html
I have a Slime and a Truck-Air (275psi) so far for 12v volt pumps and they both seem ok. I can recommend to run them-doing something, at least yearly to keep 'em limbered up.
My intention is to get a Cyclepump for the ATV and also augment a product I am working on for the ATV market.
OM

If you have a SAE plug (Pigtail) attached directly to your battery for attaching a battery tender, then you can run the pump off of that connection. Ensure the line is fused. It appears the Slime kit comes with a SAE connection. I think the Slime pumps are fine for using as an emergency pump on your bike. If you intend to use it regularly to inflate your tires you chould consider something like a Cycle Pump (http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump-ez-gauge.aspx).

SAEConnector_zpsscdgacue.jpg

Chaching!

$180 bucks just fell out of my pocket... Thanks guys thanks a lot! :banghead

The good news? Murphy's law being what it is, now that I am prepared, I will never have a flat, as tires only get punctured when you don't have a tire repair kit.

Went with this option.

image.jpeg

:thumb Reece

I'm pretty sure that pump will stand up to vehicle tire inflation just fine- so if you don't have a shop compressor, you still have air.
I think for an extra $17,300 you could have got the "Nitrogen Special" but then you would need a generator............:)
Speaking of power, Kevin brings up a good point, best to run any "high draw" equipment off a pig-tail- IMO.
Again, IMO, all bikes should have a pigtail to the battery for battery usage be it charging or power out. YMMV
OM

I've had two flat tires. One was in the 60s and the other was last year on our way to Spearfish. One every 45 - 50 years is reasonable, I suppose. I fixed two other flat tires on the bikes of friends who were unprepared to do anything.

It would be my luck I would forget the jump battery, (or the jump batt won't hook up to pump) I fix a flat, and then have a dead battery and get stranded all over again.

Have the Stop N Go tire kit and Slime pump and hasten to add that if you expect to actually install a tire plug, you'll need a pair of pliers to pull and set the plug. You'll also need an ISO 4165 socket to cigarette plug adapter to run the pump.

My other addition is a Cruz tools T-50 torx wrench for the rear wheel ... on the assumption the tire shop in a small town may not have Torx. Should probably have a front axle tool, too, but of course front flats are pretty rare.

FWIW the OE kit expanded a bit between Hexheads and Camheads, as the latter have a special tool for getting the mirror housings off.

The power plugs fit BMW, cigarette, and 2-prong SAE connectors.

image.jpeg

I've been carrying full torx and allen sockets 1/4" drive and 3/4" drive sockets since my first year of riding.
My photo of my tool kit shows that, granted it wasn't till I posted it till I realized how bad the photo was.

I use a leatherman from my tankbag more often than pulling my needlenose out of their tool roll.

Hope the meds didn't sway your move to the power of the pump:laugh

Have had the Cycle Pump since '06 and used more for other folks issues than ours. Notice my sig line club duties. When I show up on one of the boxer S's, they know they are on their own that day. I have C02 cartridges minimal kits and a lot of faith when out playing...and typically not riding sweep as usual

BTW, the front axle set up has changed on the Wetheads and the internal hex is now a 19mm instead of the older 22mm ( Or was the old one 24 and the new one 22? I know the new axle opening is smaller and not walking out to shop to peek in the tool box) for those who may have or thinking of upgrading from the Hexhead. The cutoff socket many carry may catch a few by surprise when it does not fit:scratch

Back to Reeces' toolkit

I use a leatherman from my tankbag more often than pulling my needlenose out of their tool roll.

Hope the meds didn't sway your move to the power of the pump:laugh

Back to Reeces' toolkit

Honestly, I took two loritab last Monday after the initial shots, and then two more after the finger was popped back into place Tuesday. I haven't taken any meds since Tuesday of last week. Still got a huge bottle of loritab leftover. So all my crazy posting have been drug free... Well, except for beer and wine. I've been back on the bike for about a week. Forgot about the needle nose on the leatherman, one less tool to add to kit.

Same with rain gear. Bring it, and you know it won't rain. Leave it home, and you better know how to swim!

I see you too are familiar with sir Murphy and his evil ways.

Last edited:
How about a nice roll of duct tape?:blah
For what they say, nothing a duct tape will not fix!!
But seriously, reading this, am looking at a tire repair kit.
Dynaplug Pro looks good to me! Hope will never use it,
but is a peace of mind knowing it is there.

Someone gave me a Dyna Plug kit years back ( we ride a lot together and he let's me do the maintenance) Wasn't impressed in real world use with larger punctures than the tinier Dyna wicks are designed for. I tried it a few times and rarely use it now. YRMV

The Stop n Go combined with a conventional ubiquitous sticky string kit will cover almost every puncture unless it's a 1/2 machine bolt! You can always grab a sticky string kit just about anywhere as well.
If you run Metzelers or Dunlops...reaming the puncture REAL good will keep the steel cords from spitting the rubber Stop N Go plug out as they shred it if you do not. A Dunlop taught me that many years ago...and it was a front puncture...yes, a rarity for some.

As in all tools and trinkets...have a fix a flat at home tech session to iron out methods instead of unwrapping everything on that lonely rainy dark and stormy roadside and trying to figure out what's what. It's cooler if you have a old tire on a rim and time to practice.

Someone gave me a Dyna Plug kit years back ( we ride a lot together and he let's me do the maintenance) Wasn't impressed in real world use with larger punctures than the tinier Dyna wicks are designed for. I tried it a few times and rarely use it now. YRMV

The Stop n Go combined with a conventional ubiquitous sticky string kit will cover almost every puncture unless it's a 1/2 machine bolt! You can always grab a sticky string kit just about anywhere as well.
If you run Metzelers or Dunlops...reaming the puncture REAL good will keep the steel cords from spitting the rubber Stop N Go plug out as they shred it if you do not. A Dunlop taught me that many years ago...and it was a front puncture...yes, a rarity for some.

As in all tools and trinkets...have a fix a flat at home tech session to iron out methods instead of unwrapping everything on that lonely rainy dark and stormy roadside and trying to figure out what's what. It's cooler if you have a old tire on a rim and time to practice.

Is so nice to have these forums!! Thanks, Steve, for your advice.Will go with Stop n Go. Thank God, never had a flat with tubeless just yet. But is
good to have a kit with you. Better yet, if not for you, but to help out a fellow rider in need!

As we say in the long gone warrior class of 58D' pilots... "Monitored"

Back