• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The dash went dark

motocamper

Greetings All
On I 80 in Iowa the dash and GPS went dark and the speedo and tach went to zero while doing about 80 mph cruise control quit. The RT continued to run at 80 mph, just as if nothing had happened. this lasted less than a minute then everything returned to normal but the on board computer reset all to zero. The GPS changed routing. We pulled off the next exit had lunch called dealer, advised to continue riding if everything is still working correctly if not call bmw roadside assistance. We started the rt up and low beam headlight bulb was blown, but the bike worked fine. Road her back to PA with no trouble. Any ideas?
Thanks Tony

Had a similar problem on my 05 RT. fixed it with a replacement ignition switch and EWS ring around the key lock. My engine however would quit, and no bulbs would blow.

The bike was our 2014 r1200rt. I forgot that part and can not figure out how to change the sig at the bottom.
thanks
tony

+1

Greetings All
On I 80 in Iowa the dash and GPS went dark and the speedo and tach went to zero while doing about 80 mph cruise control quit. The RT continued to run at 80 mph, just as if nothing had happened. this lasted less than a minute then everything returned to normal but the on board computer reset all to zero. The GPS changed routing. We pulled off the next exit had lunch called dealer, advised to continue riding if everything is still working correctly if not call bmw roadside assistance. We started the rt up and low beam headlight bulb was blown, but the bike worked fine. Road her back to PA with no trouble. Any ideas?
Thanks Tony

I had a similar experience in March on my 2014 R1200RT. I had been riding for a couple of hours with the cruse control on when it shut off. I thought I had accidentally hit the brake and turned it back on and it happened again a few minutes later. I also noticed that the speedo was going to zero and the dash lights were acting like I had just turned on the key. The engine ran fine the whole time. So after repeating this a few times I pulled over and shut off the bike and then restarted and went on my way. It has never happened again.

I had the dealer check for error codes and they said that there was a ‘can bus error’. They mentioned that BMW’s advice when the electronics act goofy is to cycle the power (i.e. reboot). Also when they connected to my bike to check the error codes my low beam headlight fried. Maybe connected to the power blips?

Do you have anything tied into your electronics? I have Clearwater lights with their ‘can opener’ and have wondered if this had anything to do with the bus error. My BMW dealer says no. (I love the Clearwaters btw)

Cheers

Last edited:
Back