• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The new RR: WOW

R

reidguyton

So I just saw the new RR pics and description. What can I say, I want one. Now I have no business riding one, although I did spend two days on one at the California Superbike school. I just think that this is the peak of technological brilliance of motorcycle creation and I think, why not? Just because I am nowhwere near able to experience the extremes this bike affords, why should I not enjoy the range of those talents to my extent? If we all were placed on bikes according to our abilities, then many of us would be on Rebel 250s, no? Just thinking.

Ride what floats your boat but do it with sanity. I love to play with anything fast thats got two or 4 wheels but for as much fun as a liter sport bike is, I would rather borrow one than own it- I wouldn't put enough miles on it to justify it because the ergos don't work well with my aging body for more than modest miles.

I've got more miles on tracks than some folks have on the street and one thing for sure about all that triple digit speed stuff- bad things can happen quickly and it takes freaking forever to stop if the traction isn't first class. Problem is also that straight line speed is pretty boring, also- its turns that are fun- and at least around here, if you ride them very fast you are also well into the danger zone because most don't have the sight line or corner workers you'd get on a track

I agree that the liter-bike performance is amazing. Now, trying to match that performance with appropriate riding skills may be harder to accomplish.

But dang fun!

I got a few miles around a different tracks myself, and can't wait to get more. No matter what the machine I'm in, or on, is!

:buds

My biggest worry is that the 2012 models now will come in Racing Red. :)

bmw-s1000rr-2012--35-.jpg

Some aspects of the 2012 model do look much better- especially the tail.

That "Racing Red" color just might outsell the classic Motorrad color.

But what I found amusing is BMW's description of how it is improved. The following excerpt sounds like how the Japanese used to describe improvements to their bikes...

The premier features of the new S1000RR are its improved handling with absolute riding stability, supreme engine performance with perfect everyday practicality, and a resounding dynamic performance.

Absolute riding stability?? Does that mean that it cannot fall over, low side or?
Supreme engine performance?? I'll just have to guess at that one.

At least it isn't the fractured "English" from Japanese owner's manuals of the '70's

Oh yeah, BTW, I WANT ONE!!!!!

I am not worthy of that bike, skill-wise.
But oh my . . . .
Mika had a review and shots of the bike in all colors in BR&MR like, yesterday!.

My biggest worry is that the 2012 models now will come in Racing Red. :)

don't worry... i hear that these things are so uncomfortable no one can ride them more than 100 miles at a stretch. Voni would probably not approve......

You really are . . . .

I am not worthy of that bike, skill-wise.
But oh my . . . .
Mika had a review and shots of the bike in all colors in BR&MR like, yesterday!.

The S1000RR is so docile and forgiving that it makes you look like a real savvy rider. I was scared at first but I have become very comfortable and I find the handling to be extraordinary. Yes it can be very fast but it can be toned down. I have driven 300+ mile days on this bike and find the seat to be extremely comfy.
Under 70 you lean forward and over seventy you hold on.
I will never test its limits but even in modest performance it is awesome!

Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Insurance Costs . . .

It added about $600/yr to our insurance. We are old, clean licenses and drive old cars.
2007 Buick Terraza
1999 Pontiac Montana
2002 Subaru Outback
1993 R100RT
2011 S1000RR
$2400/year. With moderate coverage.
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

It would have added about $4000/year to my insurance. 22 year old male.

don't worry... i hear that these things are so uncomfortable no one can ride them more than 100 miles at a stretch. Voni would probably not approve......

Last fall I rode my S1000RR back to Boise from Cedar City, UT in one day. That's after riding through Death Valley twice and from Lone Pine, CA to Cedar City in one day. It's not as bad as a Ducati, but not as comfortable as my K1200S. It's a track bike, not a sport tourer. My 50 yo knees say that this is so.

Last fall I rode my S1000RR back to Boise from Cedar City, UT in one day. That's after riding through Death Valley twice and from Lone Pine, CA to Cedar City in one day. It's not as bad as a Ducati, but not as comfortable as my K1200S. It's a track bike, not a sport tourer. My 50 yo knees say that this is so.

you didnt have help on that ride, ol timer? :whistle

Back