• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

aftermarket exhaust?

mntngrown

Sorry if I ask too many noob questions but I enjoy the breadth of knowledge here. When I bought the R1100S used, the seller told me the loud note of the aftermarket exhaust was a plus as people will hear me coming. (kinda like Harley loud pipe guys proclaim the safety factor). He did not specify the brand and implied the original owner put them on. I am now finding the noise annoying and ride with my musicians earplugs always. When I search there is Remus stainless, which would be a durability plus but I don't know how to identify any aftermarket label. There is strangely a "P1100S" on the metal of the pipe about 18"" from the end of the exhaust under the seat. I do not see any bluing of chrome like where the pipes come out of the head. or any rust so might be stainless. Frankly I love the peaceful sound of stock Beemers going by when I am walking, and can call them out approaching before I even see them. But if I have a horsepower upgrade or a no rust upgrade maybe I should just keep wearing the earplugs?

The Remus installed on my '03 R11S are marked with the manufacturers name on top of the tailpipe exits. And, yes, they are pretty loud. BRAAAP!!!

Frank

You can return the bike to stock for less than $200. Ebay has several sets of oem mufflers available.
The bike will be worth more with stock pipes and your neighbors will thank you.

You can return the bike to stock for less than $200. Ebay has several sets of oem mufflers available.
The bike will be worth more with stock pipes and your neighbors will thank you.

Copy on this. This is what I would do. I am a big fan of stock exhausts with cats.

found on ebay Bob's BMW

Some nice looking mufflers from a later model than mine with no rust on Ebay sold by Bob's BMW. Hope they match up with my pipes which could be aftermarket. My neighbors and I will appreciate them. Love that BMW civilized exhaust note as an old R75 owner. Wish me luck. I can consign my musicians earplugs to playing in loud bands and not have to wear them under my helmet unless wind noise does hearing damage too.

Some nice looking mufflers from a later model than mine with no rust on Ebay sold by Bob's BMW. Hope they match up with my pipes which could be aftermarket. My neighbors and I will appreciate them. Love that BMW civilized exhaust note as an old R75 owner. Wish me luck. I can consign my musicians earplugs to playing in loud bands and not have to wear them under my helmet unless wind noise does hearing damage too.

Wind noise does tons of damage. I am thankful I learned from Lee Parks, early in my riding career. I plug up always. Usually in ear monitors, with some music playing low in the background.

OEM's installed

Received the muffler from Bob's and they looked like new almost. Probably taken off by someone installing aftermarket. One of the mounting brackets with rubber ring was bent. Had to do some persuasion with an insulated pipe wrench while hoping the welds would not crack. Got it on and matched up perfectly with the upswept pipe. Obviously quieter than the no name cans I took off but heavier. My neighbor asked me a week prior how I was enjoying my BMW and I told him I was doing some upgrades and had ordered quiet mufflers to sound like a BMW because a prior owner had installed something louder. He said there were plenty of brands that are made to be loud and did not understand why a BMW owner would want to make their exhaust loud. Today I took off for a ride and when I came home my neighbor was working in the yard. I pulled in my garage and took off my helmet and my neighbor called over "Now that sounds like a BMW. Was it hard to put on?" Peace inside my helmet and peace in the neighborhood. I did not notice any lack of power or torque on my ride.

mntngrown; said:
Peace inside my helmet and peace in the neighborhood. I did not notice any lack of power or torque on my ride.
Good to hear the restoration went well.
Thanks for spreading the BMW goodwill.

Back