• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank bag for K1300 GT

Tonyfr

Are we there yet?
I'm looking for a tank bag for a K1300 GT that does not interfere with handle bar movement. I have bar risers and a GPS mounted between the handle bars. I tried a SW-Mototech Micro bag but it was too small. What are you guys using?

SW Motech City Bag. And, it's too small. You won't like to hear this, but after trying two bags on my K13 and looking at many others, the best I've seen in terms of fit, non-interference, and capacity is...the BMW tankbag.
IMHO, of course.

Best,
DG

SW Motech City Bag. And, it's too small. You won't like to hear this, but after trying two bags on my K13 and looking at many others, the best I've seen in terms of fit, non-interference, and capacity is...the BMW tankbag.

Do you have a picture?

I sent the bag back and did not keep the mount in case I went to another brand of bag. A buddy of mine has the Engage bag on his 1200GT. I think I may go with that one.

No, I am currently still running the CityBag. There's a decent picture of the K1200/1300GT tankbag here, just click the pic to enlarge:
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/prod...ag-tankbagsluggage-systems-71607708357-p-1447

The first bag I tried on the GT was the Engage, which was returned immediately--insufficient capacity and the small opening made it difficult to find things in the bag. Replaced it with the CityBag.

I have the new-style mounts on my CityBag, and liked the old-style mounts much better. The new-style bracket is fussy to get engaged securely, unlike the old mount. I plan on replacing the CityBag with the BMW bag and internal organizer--the strap mounts don't take any more time at fuel stops and are a sure and secure attachment.

Best,
DG

No, I am currently still running the City Bag.
Do you have a picture of the City Bag on your bike? Like to know how far back it sits from the handlebars. I have my GPS mounted between the bars and would like to know if I could still see it partially.

I have my GPS mounted between the bars and would like to know if I could still see it partially.
The top part of the mount that attaches to the bag is mounted by the owner. You pick the placement that works best for your bike.
The shape of your tank will limit the placement.
On my RS I slid the mount all the way back.

Tankbag_1_.JPG

Here's a picture of the old style City Bag on a K1200GT.
I think the basic shape of the new style bag is the same.

P1010006.jpg

That bag will work for me. I don't think I will need to expand it to that height. My GPS is in the same location but I do have bar risers (S-M). What shelf are you using for the radar detector?

That bag will work for me. I don't think I will need to expand it to that height. My GPS is in the same location but I do have bar risers (S-M). What shelf are you using for the radar detector?

Currently running this:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8600886.html

With a custom-made shelf for the detector to sit upon. There is another vendor selling a similar mount but with two accessory outlects, can't recall who it is at the moment.

This is what the BMW OEM tank bag looks like on our 2008 K1200GT. Should be about the same as the K1300GT.

Attachments

• IMG_9548.jpg
    IMG_9548.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_9549.jpg
    IMG_9549.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 141
Unless it is only 5 inches wide a tank bag might intefere with handlebar controls. I had this issue today, in fact.

It is operator error whem a tank bag and controls interact. Learn the bike. You will be fine.

The BMW bag is lower in the front making it easier to see the GPS and less likely to interfere with the bars.
Also the BMW bag has a map window is you use paper maps or like to put route notes there.
The new EVO City bag does not have a map window and you'll have to buy the optional map holder.

bc_trs_00_104_20000_1_web.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Attachments

• tank bag.jpg
    tank bag.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 130
Yes, and my experience with that map holder is that it attaches poorly, depending upon only a Velcro patch to retain it at the rear. I've gotten used to crosswinds creating occasional episodes of one-handed piloting while re-connecting the map case Velcro.

Best,
DG

Back