• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

buying a 1996 R11R

2slowwheels

Looking at a 1996 r11r with only 2,000 miles on it. I know the owner. He bought it new then rode it a few times a year and now not for a few years. Rifle fairing, corbin seat, Reynolds rack, bags, is it worth $3,000? Always stored in a heated garage.

That's always a tough call.

It's now an 18 year old bike, even with low miles. If it has OE brake lines, they need replaced. Fuel pump filter and lines (in tank) most likely needs replaced. Hall Effect Sensor wiring most likely needs replaced as well. Was the brake fluid flushed on a regular basis? If not, the ABS circuits could be full of junk.

A little used bike can often have more problems due to lack of use.

If you are not a mechanic, it would be worth some money to pay one to check it out before purchase.

For comparison: I bought a 99 RT last September in Denver and rode it home to S. IL. Then In Feb. I sold the other 99 RT I owned to a fellow in Montana who drove here and picked it up. Both were $3,000 bikes with less than 50K miles.

If it were me, I would expect to pay a lot less knowing that I would have some costs to put it back in roadworthy order.

Advice worth what you paid. :D

If the bike starts and runs OK

and you like it pay the bargain price of $3000 for the bike and ride the dog poo out of it. If you are looking to flip it or get a non running oilhead running and make a few bucks good luck on that as it may be an expensive lesson to learn.

If it runs and is not a cosmetic disaster its a bargain to buy and ride, don't bother if your looking to flip it. If its a non running project with unknown issues offer $800 if you really want it but walk away for anything more than a grand.

Just my opinion

and you like it pay the bargain price of $3000 for the bike and ride the dog poo out of it. If you are looking to flip it or get a non running oilhead running and make a few bucks good luck on that as it may be an expensive lesson to learn.

If it runs and is not a cosmetic disaster its a bargain to buy and ride, don't bother if your looking to flip it. If its a non running project with unknown issues offer $800 if you really want it but walk away for anything more than a grand.

Just my opinion

To a point, this is pretty good info. I have had a few really good experiences with pooched RT's like this from blown......just about anything.......and they always have returned good coins for beer money.

Last one, blown engine, picked it up for $1500, bought a used engine off EBay for another $1000, rebuilt the engine properly, another $600, tires, cosmetics, etc, I sold it before I was finished working on it for $7000. Book price in the condition it was in was $8600.00.

This is Canada though and BMW holds their value very well. I do all the work myself, machining, tires and the list goes on and I'm patient. After all, I have 7 months of winter.

If we were talking about something like an HD, run away as fast as you can. I can't find a way to make a dime on them. I would make more money cruising the ditches looking for tossed beer cans.

I don't play the VLT's and I limit my Vegas money but a BMW in Canada is always worth a gamble.

You mention the heated garage but not if it actually runs right now. If it does it would be like resurrecting a bike from a long Winters sleep. Maybe many Winters in your case. But if it runs and those are the actual miles that is a great deal. As a rider you can upgrade and fix things as you go along. If you are flipping it wash, wax and sell for $4500. A great year and engine (pre-surge) for BMW.

I could have bought new and or any year I wanted. But I do not ride just my Beemer. So in researching I started at the beginning of the oilhead run and the '96 RT really stuck out in the motorcycle world back then. The bike you are asking about has the same exact engine. Bullet-proof. And there are plenty of bikes of all makes sitting someplace in someones garage that just never got ridden. You may had found the proverbial diamond-in-the-rough. And not too rough.

BTW- the "R" for me rider position was just a bit to lean forward on the handlebars so while I like that bike the RT was a much better sit-up-and-beg riding position for me. I bought the Beemer specifically for long trips (over 3500 miles in the first 10 days of ownership). So make sure it is comfortable for you no matter what a great deal it is. What are you going to use it for?

So 3 out of 4 MOA members (who responded) said buy the bike. :laugh

Good Luck!!!!

Just my opinion, but that seems like a very good deal on that bike. I don't know other brands that closely, but each older BMW seems to have a vague floor in price. Airheads, about $3000 (for a decent one), GS's, around $4500, K75's, $2500, K100's,-less. The early oilheads seem to be at about $3,500-4,000 for a well cared for one. And well worth it, if you ask me. Great bikes in all respects. Really versatile.

I am getting quite the perspective on pricing here. If Stagewex pops that bike across the border, there is a guarantee of a good return for beer money. The prices Jconway quoted are not even close to here, Canada.

I have to admit, every bike that I have bought has come from south. Even with shipping, repair costs, safeties and cosmetics, I have done very well with BMW's.

Stagewex, you are close enough, you can't lose. I don't think it's borders that drive price, I think it's saturation. Really, how many Beemers in the Dakota's compared to HD's?

I'd buy it for sure, even if it had ABS which it may not.
It will need some work right away, just fuel and safety issues like brakes and tires.

IMO the HES is probably OK until you ride it long enough to cook the wires, mine are still fine.

Hey, WG, are you getting to like that switchgear yet? :D

If by switchgear you mean my bike, yes! Really hoping to have some fun with it this spring and do some modding. As I mentioned to 2slowwheels, this bike is really growing on me.

Looking at a 1996 r11r with only 2,000 miles on it. I know the owner. He bought it new then rode it a few times a year and now not for a few years. Rifle fairing, corbin seat, Reynolds rack, bags, is it worth $3,000? Always stored in a heated garage.

It's now an 18 year old bike, even with low miles. If it has OE brake lines, they need replaced. Fuel pump filter and lines (in tank) most likely needs replaced. Hall Effect Sensor wiring most likely needs replaced as well. Was the brake fluid flushed on a regular basis? If not, the ABS circuits could be full of junk.
:D

I did exactly what you are considering, I purchased a 1996 R1100R w/ABS a little less than a year ago and I've had mostly a positive experience, in fact the real headaches came from a sub par BMW service department(Bergen BMW NJ) that botched a routine brake repair(see my thread: Why am I only getting 25mpg?)

The bike had 15k miles on it, was serviced by BMW up till 9k(stamps in book) I paid $2300 for mine but it had a healthy dent in front rim, a deep dent in the gas tank and tears and cracks in the vinyl seat, so the cosmetics dropped the value, would have gladly paid $3000 if the those three issues weren't there. The bike ran good but not great so I had Bergen BMW in NJ do a complete flush of all fluids and replaced all filters, wires, plugs and brake pads and then full tune up. Rode much better after that. As Bud mentioned above, the main problems were rubber parts breaking down from age, seals in brake master cylinder shot, brake lines shot, calipers gunked. Replaced the BMC with a new one from Beemer Bone Yard, replaced brake lines with steel braided from HEL, this is a must do repair/upgrade. Had seat reupholstered, dent in wheel trued, upgraded horn to Stebel Nautilus air horn(another must do) and so far sunk $1500 into bike. Have not had Hall, driveshaft or ABS issues. Yours sounds like a real bargain, just the Corbin alone is worth $500+. The fact is, if you allocate $1000 to deal with any future issues that might arise you will be riding a great Beemer for a fraction of buying a new or newer bike.

The bottom line: The R1100R is an orphan mutt, you either love it or hate it, I love mine, rarely see another one on the road and it's styling is unique. Many after market parts and accessory manufacturers skip this one model when they release products, you'll see much more options for the R1150R, but I really do like my bikes look and feel better. The R1100R is a pleasure to ride and is a "Jack of all trades", a nimble back roads burner, a reliable lane splitter, a pack mule for long hauls and best of all naked, I took the flyshield off and my spring project is to "cafe" it out a little by replacing the exhaust and switching to clip on handle bars and perhaps rework the instrument cluster.

If you get the bike stay in touch with me, I can guide you through a lot of the maintenance needs and I've built a good list of aftermarket suppliers.

I did exactly what you are considering, I purchased a 1996 R1100R w/ABS a little less than a year ago and I've had mostly a positive experience, in fact the real headaches came from a sub par BMW service department(Bergen BMW NJ) that botched a routine brake repair(see my thread: Why am I only getting 25mpg?)

The bike had 15k miles on it, was serviced by BMW up till 9k(stamps in book) I paid $2300 for mine but it had a healthy dent in front rim, a deep dent in the gas tank and tears and cracks in the vinyl seat, so the cosmetics dropped the value, would have gladly paid $3000 if the those three issues weren't there. The bike ran good but not great so I had Bergen BMW in NJ do a complete flush of all fluids and replaced all filters, wires, plugs and brake pads and then full tune up. Rode much better after that. As Bud mentioned above, the main problems were rubber parts breaking down from age, seals in brake master cylinder shot, brake lines shot, calipers gunked. Replaced the BMC with a new one from Beemer Bone Yard, replaced brake lines with steel braided from HEL, this is a must do repair/upgrade. Had seat reupholstered, dent in wheel trued, upgraded horn to Stebel Nautilus air horn(another must do) and so far sunk $1500 into bike. Have not had Hall, driveshaft or ABS issues. Yours sounds like a real bargain, just the Corbin alone is worth $500+. The fact is, if you allocate $1000 to deal with any future issues that might arise you will be riding a great Beemer for a fraction of buying a new or newer bike.

The bottom line: The R1100R is an orphan mutt, you either love it or hate it, I love mine, rarely see another one on the road and it's styling is unique. Many after market parts and accessory manufacturers skip this one model when they release products, you'll see much more options for the R1150R, but I really do like my bikes look and feel better. The R1100R is a pleasure to ride and is a "Jack of all trades", a nimble back roads burner, a reliable lane splitter, a pack mule for long hauls and best of all naked, I took the flyshield off and my spring project is to "cafe" it out a little by replacing the exhaust and switching to clip on handle bars and perhaps rework the instrument cluster.

If you get the bike stay in touch with me, I can guide you through a lot of the maintenance needs and I've built a good list of aftermarket suppliers.

I assume that's yours ? Very Nice ! That is a beautiful seat, is it OEM? Please post pics when you get into the cafe'ing project. I'm thinkin' it's going to look good. An "S" style bikni fairing would look great and fit well with the cafe'ing.

I assume that's yours ? Very Nice ! That is a beautiful seat, is it OEM? Please post pics when you get into the cafe'ing project. I'm thinkin' it's going to look good. An "S" style bikni fairing would look great and fit well with the cafe'ing.

Seat cover got off ebay from factory in Poland , $90 delivered then had local upholstery shop install for $40. Have you got any links to the fairing?

Here is a pic of the one I owned.

139557967130.jpg

Tubeless spoke rims. Real paint stripe on tank. Aeroflow shield and lower faring.

Sold it to a guy in NW Arkansas for $3K.

He was happy to get it and I got back my purchase price. Win/Win

I love all the 1100's because I can maintain them myself. A big plus for me when it comes to bike ownership.

And the R is so much easier to work on because you don't have to remove all the tupperware that's on my RT!

Sooooo?did you buy it?

Back