• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

California Heat Gauntlet Heated Gloves Review

moshe_levy

Hello All

Season Two of Moto Mouth Moshe begins today! It's currently 19 degrees outside here in NJ, so to celebrate those Polar Bears who keep the shiny side up in the freezing cold, Episode #27 focuses on California Heat's new Gauntlet heated gloves. Tune in to see if they held up under the arctic abuse!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jFI4TC-tYVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

Thanks

My wife and I have Gerbing gloves we purchased in 2003 but rarely use them because they're too bulky.
Do you know if the California gloves are less bulky compared to the old Gerbing gloves?

Last edited:
Thanks

My wife and I have Gerbing gloves we purchased in 2003 but rarely use them because they're too bulky.
Do you know if the California gloves are less bulky compared to the old Gerbing gloves?

I picked up a pair of the Sedici heated gloves ( hard to pass up a lifetime warranty) and rode with them the first time yesterday - I agree that I don't care for the bulkiness.

Ski

Thanks for another great review. It's nice to watch your reviews since you look at things from a rider's perspective, not a magazine reviewer who needs to guard what they say or lose advertising revenue.

A question for you...how do these compare with Gerbings gloves? I'm not interested in bulkiness, or anything else except the amount of warmth they provide.

I commonly run my Gerbings gloves at full heat from the low 40's to way below freezing. But the jacket liner is barely on at 43F. Have they improved the distribution of heat? To me, that's the important part.

Also, how do they compare for cost with other alternatives? Are they a "good deal", or just another glove among others that do the same thing?

Lastly...this is like "military intelligence"... seriously, "California Heat"????? How can anyone put the two words in the same phrase and be taken seriously? Maine Heat. Michigan Heat. ...but California Heat??? You've got to be kidding.

Chris

Lastly...this is like "military intelligence"... seriously, "California Heat"????? How can anyone put the two words in the same phrase and be taken seriously? Maine Heat. Michigan Heat. ...but California Heat??? You've got to be kidding.

Chris

Clearly you have never lived in California. You might not want them in Southern California, but 500 miles north of that in the mountains is a different environment entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried the California Heat gloves at their display during the New York motorcycle show last December. I have old Gerbings to compare them to. CH seemed more supple, marginally less bulky, maybe more even heat distribution. My old Gerbings doesn't have any wrist securing method, and the bulkiness makes it tiring to use especially for the throttle hand. Gerbing is a solid performer as far as providing reliable heat but I'm not in love with it. CH was maybe a 3-minute experience for me. CH does have a wrist strap. Both my Gerbing and CH gloves do not have any pre-curve in the fingers.

Hey Guys, I'm sorry I guess I forgot to turn on notifications. I'm only seeing this feedback now. Re Gerbing's, from my experience the CA Heat's bulkiness, styling, and overall performance is pretty much identical to the old Gerbing's T5 model.

-MKL

I was hoping the California Heat gloves would be better than the T5s. At anything below 39F, I generally have the gloves on high. At 25F and lower, the Gerbing T5s are having serious issues keeping up.

Of course, if I hit those temps all the time, I'd put handlebar muffs on.

Chris

I was hoping the California Heat gloves would be better than the T5s. At anything below 39F, I generally have the gloves on high. At 25F and lower, the Gerbing T5s are having serious issues keeping up.

Of course, if I hit those temps all the time, I'd put handlebar muffs on.

Chris

Both of us use a single controller with our Gerbing non microwire jacket liner, gloves and insoles. With temps in the upper teens our hands did not get cold on the K1200RS and K1300S.

Thanks, Lee. Interesting...you use a "single" controller for the entire body? I use a dual controller. One knob for the gloves, and one for the jacket liner.

I'll chalk it up to being a wimpy wimp. :D :D :D

And to think I used to make an hour commute in 16F weather on a scooter...without any heated gear. :laugh

Chris

Thanks, Lee. Interesting...you use a "single" controller for the entire body? I use a dual controller. One knob for the gloves, and one for the jacket liner.

I'll chalk it up to being a wimpy wimp. :D :D :D

And to think I used to make an hour commute in 16F weather on a scooter...without any heated gear. :laugh

Chris

I think the bike makes a big difference. We could crank up the jacket heat and our hands and feet did not get hot because of the wind on them.

I also used to commute all year on a scooter unless there was snow or ice on the road. My grueling two mile commute was not long enough to get cold :)

Back