• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opinion on a LWB 75/5

D

drooartz

So I had a nice phone call today with the owner of this bike:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/1794161509.html

Photos: http://www.drooartz.com/woad-local/media/tn5/index.html

7.jpg

Biggest issue seems to be the dent in the tank (how hard to remove this sort of dent?):

2.jpg

Seller says it's a good runner, has had it for 2 years. I'm looking for a LWB bike, and black is the preferred color (though not a huge issue). By biggest problem is that the bike is in Tennessee and I'm in Utah, so I can't get a personal look at it -- and I'm no airhead expert anyways.

I'm inclined to think it's worth pursuing. Your thoughts?

Looks nice and price is about right if you ask me. No idea how tough to get that dent out. How the heck did he manage to dent it right there, anyway? The expression "brass balls" come to mind, but I'm too classy to mention that....:bolt

Hi drooartz :wave

This is a nicer looking bike than the one you were looking at in Tampa. Try to knock a couple of hundred off the price for the broken speedo/tach and dent. A new one costs around $500. My R60/5 has a broken speedo and I hope I can find a repair shop for a reasonable cost.

I'd try posting here and other places and ask if there's an airhead nearby that will go take a look for you.

Also, sign up for the Airhead mailing list at www.ariheads.org and post there too.

I've had my LWB since 1974, and I'm spending close to a grand this week on repairs if that's any indication.

The dent will come out, but you'll more than likely forfeit the paint job in the process; it's going to take some serious heat to get that metal to move. And it's in a critical area too; on a compound surface (curves in two directions) and near the seam at the back of the tank.

Buy it. The dent ain't no big thang!
icon_wink.gif

edit - well, it is a big thing... probably 500 worth of "un-denting", and repainting. I'd leave it in situ.

If I really wanted a /5 and I was feeling adventuresome I'd consider this one because it's obviously clean and probably well taken care of. I'd consider the speedo repair cost, the tank dent, and the potential for timing chain replacement and top end work looming somewhere on the horizon and the "unknown new bike hidden costs" factor (e.g. surprise! the tranny bearings are crunchy!) + the cost of a one-way ticket from utah to tenn, and the cost of a three day ride back. $2400 max. Unless money is no object. If you don't mind assuming the risk, this one has potential but won't leave you ahead upon resale. I'm with Lew...forget the tank dent for now...it actually looks like it might provide some air conditioning for the boys. That could come in handy as you cross the utah desert in July on the way home.

The R75/5 is the best motorcycle ever made in my opinion.

There is a rule that if the paint wasn't broken when the dent was made, A skilled practioner can walk out a dent without breaking the paint. I know one of these but he is not cheap.

As we say in the trade, GFAO, Go Find Another One.

That aside, buy that bike or please put me onto in.

James A....

That aside, buy that bike or please put me onto in.
I'm strongly leaning towards buying the bike. I'm researching shipping costs vs a plane ticket right now.

I do appreciate the feedback. I understand the issues involved with older vehicles as I'm finishing up a mechanical overhaul on a '59 Austin Healey Sprite right now. At some point I figure you just have to dive in and hope for the best--but it's best to look a bit before you jump. Machines are reparable, after all. Besides, after doing an auto restoration for the last 3 years the prices for bike parts seem quite cheap, and there are less of them. :D

Bondo will fix the dent...

yeah... about a half a pound of it.

I'm finishing up a mechanical overhaul on a '59 Austin Healey Sprite

I actually think that this is the only comparison I have ever heard that makes "keeping" what is essentially an antique BMW motorcycle a cheap proposition!
09.gif

If you have the personality to deal with Lucas Electrics ... the Prince of Darkness ... then you are more than capable of dealing with anything this old machine can throw at you!

Toss up. Have the spokes been upgraded to stainless? They look awfully good. If that is the original zinc plate spokes then it is an indication this bike has been welll cared for storage-wise. Seat looks excellent - good front tire. Tank can be fixed.

The crap shoot is the mileage which could go either way. What is the story on the valve lash from the owner? Any issues with exhaust valves tightening? If it has receding valve seats that should have shown up by now - or was it dealt with? What about brake shoes? Original? Oil leaks? What kind of battery and how old? Has he changed the tranny/final drive grease? What did it look like when he did?

So many questions, so many bikes for sale.....

Most /5's are looking pretty clapped out these days. Not so many LWB made, or out there. Any 36 year old bike has some looming issues - you have already accepted that. Some this, some that. So what? These are inherently pretty good machines. It's what you are looking for? Nothing leaking? Owner has been riding it pretty regularly?
A BMW that won't make it from TN to UT isn't worth having anyway. Just grab your gear and do it. Ride it home and get acquainted. Adventure awaits! Enjoy.

Let's see: Austin Sprite, Bluegrass, WWII planes....I think you've come to the right place Andrew. The /5 is to motorcycling what the Sprite is to cars, Bluegrass is to music, and the B-17 is to airplanes. I think you'll find lots of soul in a /5. Nice web site too, I enjoyed the Sprite videos. Let us know where you end up.

And one more thing: The Airhead Beemer Club is to /5's what the MOA is to the S1000RR.
http://www.airheads.org/

The best Airhead tech info can be found on the "Airheads List" or the "Airlist" as it's more commonly referred to:
http://www.airheads.org/content/view/21/46/

If you have the personality to deal with Lucas Electrics ... the Prince of Darkness ... then you are more than capable of dealing with anything this old machine can throw at you!
Actually, the electrics weren't that bad. Only a handful of wires in the whole car. :D

Glad you liked the site, Bill. I've got a soft spot for machines with soul, hence my quest for a /5. I'll be making a call on this bike in the next day or so.

Thanks again for the input.

Back