• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bright Lights Lose Rights?

You might be surprised about how much you can see with that old acetylene fueled lamp. It's all about relative brightness anyway. Back in 1915, or whenever that bike was built, there were far fewer other vehicles on the road so your "night vision" wasn't being wrecked every two or three minutes by the head lights of an oncoming vehicle ... and when you did encounter another vehicle it was, more than likely, another acetylene lamped machine. The other thing to consider is the speed these bikes were running on the road surfaces of the day.

I'm trying to remember when I discovered, as a kid, that I could see more with my flashlight off, and when it was on.

I don't ride at night if possible but I feel that I need additional rear lights for rain or foggy conditions.

Any suggestions for a 08RT?

I don't know if it's legal but I use my emergency blinkers in the rain and fog

"Full time RVer" :banghead

I wonder how much noise his generator makes? Shouldn't RV drivers be required to have a special license to drive such a big, heavy vehicle? Maybe a commercial license? Hey, just asklng .....................:dunno

Generator, a Honda 2000. Rather small but fits our needs nicely. It has about 53 to 59 dB depending on load. Quiet enough to allow you to hold normal conversation at about 4 foot from it. Quieter than my R1150RT was actually. It gets rather little usage as I like to be on shore power and don't dry camp very much.

As to licensing for operating an RV, several states do require specific license categories depending on size and or air brakes. Having been a commercial vehicle inspector as part of my other duties as a LEO I researched what was required in my state and comply with the applicable regulations. Your state has the license requirements available if you are so inclined to look them up. Just sayin, ya know. Not that is has a single thing to do with the original topic. :stick

Former LEO. The picture gets clearer, doesn't it.

As you might surmise from the name Motor31, a former motorcycle patrol officer and a pretty good rider too. Sure he has a view point. So do I. So do you. And we don't all agree but that is beside the point.

< Mod Hat on

Been out on a weeklong ride... seems some folks have been busy:banghead

C'mon guys, everyone's opinion is valid here and yes, there are several current and former LEO'S who are members...so what?

Let's get back to the auxillary lighting discussion what say?

Mod Hat off>

As to lighting, we have what we need to feel comfortable out on the road. All of our bikes have a three point triangle on them.

My GSA has a few extra sets up front for night use when needed. I know when to light them up and when to leave the candlepower toned down. Ours are aimed to not be a nuisance and quallity does count. all I got...:whistle

Not So Dumb

It is illegal to congregate in public with two or more people while each wearing a mask or any face covering which disguises your identity.

Makes sense to me. Just watch the movie "V for Vendetta" and see where this sort of behavior leads you.

Nudity is allow, provided that male genitals are covered.

I very much appreciate this law. Should be part of the Universal Code of Civil Rights.

Women may walk in public topless provided they have their nipples covered.

Good law, but could be made better if shortened.

Students may not hold hands while at school.

Excellent law. First it is the hands they hold and then it becomes?????

The harassing of Bigfoot, Sasquatch or other undiscovered subspecies is a felony punishable by a fine and/or imprisonment.

How could anyone have a problem with this fine law. Do they not think that undiscovered subspecies have feelings?

You cannot live on a boat for more than 30 days during the calendar year, even if just passing through the state

Agree that this one needs work. What sort of lawless hooligan would want to live on a transient boat in our fine state for more than 3 days?

You may only throw a frisbee at the beach in Los Angeles County, CA with the lifeguardÔÇÖs permission.

Good law. One need only have seen the carnage caused on Baywatch when an unapproved Frisbee floated by CJ (Pamela Anderson).

You may only have one alcoholic drink in front of you at a time

Makes sense. To do otherwise would allow the excess drinks to cool below the desired serving temperature.

Yes it does, but that sort of deprecating comment reveals more about the speaker than about LEOs.

NO issues with full-time RVers or LEOs here, you don't need to be either to pick apart the question over irrelevant semantics. :rolleyes

You may only have one alcoholic drink in front of you at a time

Makes sense. To do otherwise would allow the excess drinks to cool below the desired serving temperature.

AK - I realize it can get cold in the winter in both AK & MT, but if the primary problem with having two or more beers at the same time is that they would chill down too much, I'd be storing them above the fireplace instead of in the fridge.

What kind of oil do you have to use in the Honda generator? Dino or Synthetic? :) :)

The manual specs don't require synthetic. I have been using Castrol motorcycle oil. It should work on an air cooled aluminum engine even if it doesn't move across the ground.

It gets changed once a year even though it never gets to the number of hours the manual calls for . Normally I use it infrequently between Jan and March then change the oil and run it a few minutes just before I defuel it and put it away. I did have to use it when hurricane Isaac hit. Power was off for about 30 hours here. No AC wasn't fun when the temp went back up to 90 with 100% humidity.

For the folks who are concerned with background and explanations of opinion.

I'm also a retired LTC Armor USAR. I've been an elementary school teacher (briefly) with a MA in ED. I also was an aircraft mechanic with an A&P before retiring the last time. Now I just volunteer and cut grass at a state park in Washington for 2 to 4 months a year and travel, mostly visiting grand kids that aren't even my own.

Back