• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First year of the wet clutch on an RT?

brownie0486

Looking for a cone bike, has to be a wet clutch. As I understand it, GS's clutches were dry until 2013.

Same for the RT?

thanks

One of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below seems to address the question.

Isn't there special gearing for BMW "Authority" bikes? Authority primarily meaning police bikes. I think that these bikes may have shorter gearing in first gear to support maneuvering in tight quarters.

The first boxer with wet clutch was also the first boxer with water cooled engine.

GS leads the way when new engine is introduced, so 2013 for GS, 2014 for the rest.

With the water cooled boxer, you get your alternator in basically the position the older bikes had their clutch.

not meant to be a hijack, but I have to ask

With the water cooled boxer, you get your alternator in basically the position the older bikes had their clutch.

So how difficult is it to repair or replace the alternator in a WCB? Heard that engine has to be removed or split to access alternator and that scares me off of the new engine.

Isn't there special gearing for BMW "Authority" bikes? Authority primarily meaning police bikes. I think that these bikes may have shorter gearing in first gear to support maneuvering in tight quarters.

Well, there used to be special gearing, but I think the choices narrowed for the wetheads.

At one time the RTP could have the optional "Enduro" first gear of the GS along with a final drive ratio between the GS and the RT.

As best I can tell from the parts fiche, all the wethead R1200s had the same transmission ratios, no options for first gear, and FD ratios that matched the camhead models.

I cannot find any information about the R1250RTP ratios (is there such a model, yet?), but the GS, GSA, and RT all use the same transmission and FD ratios.

Perhaps BMW feels the 1250's torque and power eliminates the need for different gearing?

Back