• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Learn Garmin BaseCamp Tutorial Videos

Thank you!

I just completed a trip around Nova Scotia this past week using my new Zumo 595LM and BaseCamp. I just want to thank you, Don, for all the work you've done to educate people about BaseCamp and for keeping this thread going. Also, thank you to Ed Conde and Steve Bruning for their excellent written manual/tutorial referenced in the first post in this thread - invaluable! I couldn't find their email addresses so I hope they see this. They've created a very helpful resource. The info here and from them helped make our trip easier and even more enjoyable.

Keep up the great work!

How do you send someone a "route" that is in your Basecamp list? :scratch

Normally, I'd go to a Garmin folder and attach the route in an email.
I've done it once before but can't remember how I did it.

Got it.

"File" then "Export".

Last edited:
I just completed a trip around Nova Scotia this past week using my new Zumo 595LM and BaseCamp. I just want to thank you, Don, for all the work you've done to educate people about BaseCamp and for keeping this thread going. Also, thank you to Ed Conde and Steve Bruning for their excellent written manual/tutorial referenced in the first post in this thread - invaluable! I couldn't find their email addresses so I hope they see this. They've created a very helpful resource. The info here and from them helped make our trip easier and even more enjoyable.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you for those comments.... Glad it was of some help.... Ride safe!

Basecamp, Google Earth Pro and Mac

For those like myself who have a Mac and use Basecamp and Google Earth Pro, the issue is that Basecamp and GEP don't work together. The simple solution is to rename GEP just to Google Earth in the computer.
1 Go to finder
2 Go to Applications and find GEP and highlight
3 Go to file and click rename
4 Remove Pro from the name.
5 Enter and done.

Hope this helps.

For those like myself who have a Mac and use Basecamp and Google Earth Pro, the issue is that Basecamp and GEP don't work together. The simple solution is to rename GEP just to Google Earth in the computer.
1 Go to finder
5 Enter and done.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the very useful tip on Google Earth Pro. I tried your directions and the issue was resolved. :wave

1 Go to finder
5 Enter and done.

Hope this helps.

I also have a Mac, Basecamp, etc... Probably a crazy question, when creating a custom route in Basecamp, what do you use Google Earth Pro for ??? I don't understand how you use the two programs together ??

Google Earth provides a satellite view of your route, useful to determine road conditions, surroundings, scenery potential, zoom in and check out potholes, gravel, see road signs to check speed limits, preview your destinations, see what sort of neighborhood your motel is in, etc. At one time there was an option to "fly" over your route like an airplane at low altitude, but I'm not sure that is still possible, it was always a little finicky and I do not have the necessary patience to watch it anyway.

In Windows, Earth is accessed via the View item on the menu bar with options to start centered on your route, on selected items, or simply on the current Basecamp display.

I find it simpler to just use Furkot.com for most of my planning as it already uses Google Maps and I can switch between road, satellite, and terrain views with one button and change the route from the alternative views. My travel netbook has limited memory and storage, so I prefer not to install Earth on it.

I also have a Mac, Basecamp, etc... Probably a crazy question, when creating a custom route in Basecamp, what do you use Google Earth Pro for ??? I don't understand how you use the two programs together ??

Down here we have many rural roads that are either gravel or paved. On the RT I prefer the paved version. I use google earth to check on that by zooming in as close as possible. You can open google earth in basecamp and see your routes projected in google earth.

Down here we have many rural roads that are either gravel or paved. On the RT I prefer the paved version. I use google earth to check on that by zooming in as close as possible. You can open google earth in basecamp and see your routes projected in google earth.

I didn't realize you could access Google Earth from Basecamp !!!!! I will see if I can find the access and try using it as you suggested.... seems like a good tool !!!!!! Thanks for the info........

I didn't realize you could access Google Earth from Basecamp !!!!! I will see if I can find the access and try using it as you suggested.... seems like a good tool !!!!!! Thanks for the info........

Me either. I'll have to try that. Thanks! :thumb

I guess I am a little dense this morning !!!!!!
I have an iMac computer, in Basecamp, how do I access Google Earth ????
Is that part of "Birdseye" that says it is a subscription service ????
Thanks again.......
Go to beginning of thread and watch lesson 6. Starts at about 3:20 mark where he discusses google earth. Similarly, lesson 7 discusses the integration of Yelp. Using these two items helps immensely in planning.

Go to beginning of thread and watch lesson 6. Starts at about 3:20 mark where he discusses google earth. Similarly, lesson 7 discusses the integration of Yelp. Using these two items helps immensely in planning.

I will do....
Thank you very much !!!!!

I will do....
Thank you very much !!!!!
You are welcome.
At the end of the videos section nest the bottom of the first post is a link to a download:

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

This is an excellent guide on using BC. If you set aside about 2 or 3 hours, make a pot of coffee, and follow along with the lesson, you will learn a tremendous amount about BC. I like the lesson on integrating with GEarth and Yelp. You can scout out fueling stops zoom in at street level, determine layout. I have even used to see if premium fuel is available.

See you out on the road.

I guess I am a little dense this morning !!!!!!
I have an iMac computer, in Basecamp, how do I access Google Earth ????
Is that part of "Birdseye" that says it is a subscription service ????
Thanks again.......

No, Birdseye requires a subscription whereas Google Earth Pro is now free. It used to be $400.00 a year..

You are welcome.
At the end of the videos section nest the bottom of the first post is a link to a download:

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

This is an excellent guide on using BC. If you set aside about 2 or 3 hours, make a pot of coffee, and follow along with the lesson, you will learn a tremendous amount about BC. I like the lesson on integrating with GEarth and Yelp. You can scout out fueling stops zoom in at street level, determine layout. I have even used to see if premium fuel is available.

See you out on the road.

Thanks for all the great info !!!! Tonight and tomorrow suppose to have 3 to 5" of snow.....Mother Nature doesn't know it is suppose to be Spring....
So it will be a good time to watch some of the lesson videos !!!!!

Back