• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another possible Oilhead purchase. R1100RS Your thoughts?

“ That’s great information, especially considering it’s from the perspective of somebody who happens to own the bike I’m considering purchasing. I did read your post about the tire issue actually and I wondered why BMW switched from an 18” rim to a 17”. Is 18” really such an odd ball rim size that it’s hard to find rubber for? It certainly seems that way, but until you mentioned it in your post, I never would have given that even a second thought.”

Metzeler, Avon, Pirelli etc all make the rear 160/60-18 size, in sport touring spec. My problem, is that I really like the Michelin pilot road, 3, r or whatever number they are calling it. Unfortunately, none of the local shops near me stock, or can get that tire for me. This include two BMW Dealers.

Yes the 18" variety are still built. The manufacturers say so. But check the distributors. Does Tucker Rocky have them on hand to order? Check the dealerships. Do they stock that size?

My experience is that if you insist, and can wait, they can be ordered. But it is an oddball size which is not readily available. Certainly, if you travel be aware that a tire damaged beyond plugging may take a few days to replace.

Anybody have any experience with the Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact? They are available in 160/60/R18 for the rear. I’ve alway had very good luck with Metzler tires in the past and I currently run the Roadtec 01’s on my RT. Curious as to what input you guys have on the Z8’s.
https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/roadtec-z8-interact#sizes-module

They come stock on the R NineT and my buddy likes them enough to touch his pegs down.

I've ordered a set but won't be trying them out for another 6-7 weeks.

Well here's another data point for your consideration....

In my research, I discovered that many RS ABS owners faced that "oh crap how much is it to fix this ABS?" moment.

And I discovered many recommendations to replace the rubber brake cables with stainless steel. Which I did.
ON the discussion of 5/6th gear @ 60, yes slightly annoying, but @80 you're just getting started!;)

Well here's another data point for your consideration....

In my research, I discovered that many RS ABS owners faced that "oh crap how much is it to fix this ABS?" moment.

I believe this has more to do with the servo brake system which, if properly maintained from the outset, seems to be quite reliable.

Just to add a data point regarding the ABS on R1100 RS models. I have a 2000 R1100RS, with 89,000 miles. Never had a ABS issue, or rear drive. Bike has had regular maintenance, but nothing more.

Last edited:
I might be wrong so check the spec's but I think the 25% change between 5th and 6th was on the GS and R variants and not on the R1100S or the R1150RT or RS.

I don't know, but I was told that the lower top geared 6 speed was an optional transmission on the R.

My 2002 RS had the tall 6th gear. I sold it.

My ‘02 RT does of course have the 6 speed and I also find the 6th gear to be a bit frustrating. As others have noted, you really need to be moving above 60 MPH to use it and that speed is absolute minimum. That’s never a problem if I’m traveling on one of our CA highways. The frustration comes in to play when the posted speed limit is between 50-55MPH and you can’t reach that top gear....which my Rider Information Display refers to as “E” for Economy. Seriously BMW? Couldn’t you just refer to it as 6th gear? Everyone will understand that’s OD without having to confuse people with an “E” on the display instead of reading a 6.

I remember how confused I was after riding my RT home after purchasing it. I knew that I was in 6th gear, but I couldn’t understand why the letter E showed up on my display. I thought surely it must have meant there was a malfunction or an “E”rror of some kind. After getting home and reading the manual I then realized it was BMW’s way of just being different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My ‘02 RT does of course have the 6 speed and I also find the 6th gear to be a bit frustrating. As others have noted, you really need to be moving above 60 MPH to use it and that speed is absolute minimum. That’s never a problem if I’m traveling on one of our CA highways. The frustration comes in to play when the posted speed limit is between 50-55MPH and you can’t reach that top gear....which my Rider Information Display refers to as “E” for Economy. Seriously BMW? Couldn’t you just refer to it as 6th gear? Everyone will understand that’s OD without having to confuse people with an “E” on the display instead of reading a 6.

I remember how confused I was after riding my RT home after purchasing it. I knew that I was in 6th gear, but I couldn’t understand why the letter E showed up on my display. I thought surely it must have meant there was a malfunction or an “E”rror of some kind. After getting home and reading the manual I then realized it was BMW’s way of just being different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t worry or even consider the “E”. I remember when the “E” was controlled by a vacuum/manifold pressure sensor. Talk about goofy hyper- miles. :hungover
OM

Yeah, I rode a friend's '02 RT and noticed that. The RID on my '03 RT shows "6" instead of "E", so until I rode the '02 I didn't even know that was a thing.

And why would BMW choose the letter E if the intention is to convey "Economy"? The German word for economy is "Wirtschaft". Eh, I guess the letter "W" is sort of hard to make on a 7-segment LCD digit display.

I believe this has more to do with the servo brake system which, if properly maintained from the outset, seems to be quite reliable.

Yes, I agree. I have over 100K on my 04 and no problems, I attribute that to replacing the rubber brake lines with SS.

Back