• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Celebration: Our Club's 50th Anniversary in 2022 National Rally - Springfield MO!

We are working on a 50th Anniversary logo for next year. I’m researching tattoo artists (I’ve found a German guy down in Destin, FL) that we might be able to film me getting it tattooed on my arm as the reveal…

That's a great idea, Reece! I think we should have a poll here on the forum to decide *where* this goes. :brow

I'm sure if I had my own T's made up with any logo I gave them to use [ my own design or something seen here perhaps ], the mothership could kiss my rosy red butt if they didn't like it. :brow

As far as a club using an unauthorized logo, whole different ball of wax.

I'm sure if I had my own T's made up with any logo I gave them to use [ my own design or something seen here perhaps ], the mothership could kiss my rosy red butt if they didn't like it. :brow

As far as a club using an unauthorized logo, whole different ball of wax.

"The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking." :hide

I suspect that depends on whether BMW, or you, have the most money to pay lawyers.:scratch

I suspect that depends on whether BMW, or you, have the most money to pay lawyers.:scratch

Far too many stars would have to align for the mothership to take umbrage, let alone if they all aligned perfectly, go after one individual.

On the worry scale, it rates a 0.

Right below his Ranger Tab piercing.

If you’re referring to the blood that was let from my left shoulder as the “safety” pin attaching it to my BDU’s passed through my skin… yes, but I’ll put it on the combat shoulder.

Prior to aviation, all my badges and rank was sealed with blood, and now, my affiliation with the MOA will be too.

Taking a slight left turn from this conversation .... my wife and I were recently on a road trip (4-wheel kind) to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and on our return our schedule allowed us to spend the night in Springfield. I rode by the Fair Grounds and it looks pretty nice. Lots of building ...i.e. Air Conditioning, and quite a few trees for shade. Looked like some nice camping areas for those so inclined. It is also very close to a LOT of hotels/motels and dining options all about 2+ miles from the fairgrounds.

There's some good news!

Thanks for the intel gsinnc. The "dining options" information will be quite important again in 2022.

Every year, "on-site" I'm talking about... we try to do better.
And we seem to find out... it could have been better!

The service industry on food matters is in flux; root cause... the pandemic.
So nobody even knows how next June will shake out in Missouri.

The folk's "on-site" in Great Falls tried with great effort. "Mostly Successful" is my opinion/grade.

There's some good news!

Thanks for the intel gsinnc. The "dining options" information will be quite important again in 2022.

Every year, "on-site" I'm talking about... we try to do better.
And we seem to find out... it could have been better!

The service industry on food matters is in flux; root cause... the pandemic.
So nobody even knows how next June will shake out in Missouri.

The folk's "on-site" in Great Falls tried with great effort. "Mostly Successful" is my opinion/grade.

Agree! I thought the food at Great Falls was very good and reasonably priced. The breakfast was killer as was the burger!

Trying to satisfy the eating preferences of folks from all over the US, and some from abroad, is a real task. Some folks want fine dining, some folks want state fair, some Italian, some Mexican, and some like meatloaf.

I can usually find something to my liking as long as it is fresh, properly cooked, and safe.

Trying to satisfy the eating preferences of folks from all over the US, and some from abroad, is a real task. Some folks want fine dining, some folks want state fair, some Italian, some Mexican, and some like meatloaf.

I can usually find something to my liking as long as it is fresh, properly cooked, and safe.

Agreed, but when attending an event like the MOA National Rally folks should really set their expectations appropriately. It is afterall a "fair" environment. And at Great Falls there was a good mix of traditional "fair" food i.e. burgers and such as well as some healthy options. IMHO it was one of the better food selections I have seen over the years.

Agreed, but when attending an event like the MOA National Rally folks should really set their expectations appropriately. It is afterall a "fair" environment. And at Great Falls there was a good mix of traditional "fair" food i.e. burgers and such as well as some healthy options. IMHO it was one of the better food selections I have seen over the years.

I reflect that you couldn't buy a piece of fruit... unless it was from the $8 (minimum) "foo-fee cup" girls food truck; though that was tasty!

And you couldn't find a salad with a search warrant.

My issue was with the overall availability I guess.
That and this fact; seems every place ran out of product at one time or another... or changed up their hours of operation.

The (no longer) poor BBQ Wagon guy simply posted a note on his board. "No longer offering Breakfast... we need to get some rest."
Then even he... ran out of some BBQ offerings before dinner.

The other "blue & white striped" roof joint... out of breakfast most mornings.

We either ran them out, or wore them out!

What more did we have, two food trucks (and both with rather odd offerings, IMO)... plus the ice cream folks?

Not even a pizza to be found?
For us on-site tent dwellers, those scenarios can become a factor in your daily enjoyment and planning.

Myself and two other Committee Co-Chairs put our kickstands down and didn't leave the Rally until Sunday sometime.
From Wednesday thru Saturday we participated with all meals from those offerings.

So I'm in the camp of... let's do even better.

Food

I suspect that part of the problem lies with local vendors not realizing just how much we eat on site. The amount of prep time, estimation of product to have on hand, staff to employ and such needs to be considered to determine if it's worthwhile to show up.
If you look at the variety and quantity of on site vendors that were there the second time around at locations that we visited twice, I think you'll see that there has been a problem with first time sites that were corrected favorably the second time.

I reflect that you couldn't buy a piece of fruit... unless it was from the $8 (minimum) "foo-fee cup" girls food truck; though that was tasty!

And you couldn't find a salad with a search warrant.

My issue was with the overall availability I guess.
That and this fact; seems every place ran out of product at one time or another... or changed up their hours of operation.

The (no longer) poor BBQ Wagon guy simply posted a note on his board. "No longer offering Breakfast... we need to get some rest."
Then even he... ran out of some BBQ offerings before dinner.

The other "blue & white striped" roof joint... out of breakfast most mornings.

We either ran them out, or wore them out!

What more did we have, two food trucks (and both with rather odd offerings, IMO)... plus the ice cream folks?

Not even a pizza to be found?
For us on-site tent dwellers, those scenarios can become a factor in your daily enjoyment and planning.

Myself and two other Committee Co-Chairs put our kickstands down and didn't leave the Rally until Sunday sometime.
From Wednesday thru Saturday we participated with all meals from those offerings.

So I'm in the camp of... let's do even better.

Jeeesh maybe I was at a different rally. Not sure the name but the large tent that served breakfast has plenty both days I stopped and I believe the cost was $8 including eggs, bacon, potatoes, and toast. When I told then I did not want potatoes or toast they said no problem and loaded my plate with extra eggs and bacon. Then later I got a burger there as well. Not sure the cost but it was reasonable and they did not appear to be running out when I was there. But like I noted ... it is a rally so set your expectations accordingly. If you want something different you can always bring it along or ride out of the rally for meals. But for me it was fine. Oh .... and always free coffee !!

I talked to the BBQ gentleman at length and he was a bit overwhelmed at times as he didn't expect to be so busy. I actually over time ate all his offerings and they were all good so I understood why he was sold out at times..:laugh
As far as fresh food such as salads and fruits, that could be improved as those fruit bowls were very tasty but a bit overpriced although that is to be expected on what essentially is a fair.... We don't know what the (food)vendors had to pay the fairgrounds so that may have been a factor in pricing....

I suspect that part of the problem lies with local vendors not realizing just how much we eat on site. .

I think that's usually a problem.
We were surprised to see the Des Moines Fairgrounds only had a fraction of the available food vendors open.
The Fair board underestimated how many people would stay on site for food.

I found the Rally food to be pretty good in 2021. The big filling breakfast started the day, lunch was usually found as I was riding, and dinner was "mostly" on site; I did pick up a salad, bread, cheese and other goodies at the Albertsons (about 5 minutes from the rally site). I can't say that it was all a gourmet's delight but it was filling, not TOO badly overpriced, and a pretty good selection for event food. I even found a bit of German flavor with Fleischkuekle at one of the trucks. Someone serving some German food should be mandatory at a BMW rally!

Lets hope that we have it as good in 2022.

Not just Commemorative Merchandise thoughts...

Winter Planning Session ideas for those involved.
I'm thinking that a decent "tag line" or slogan, catchphrase... whatever, is in order for our 50th Anniversary.

Something like these two examples.

BMWMOA 50th Anniversary
Our Enthusiasm & Passion Endure

50 Years of BMWMOA
And The Enthusiasm Continues

You can put quite a few words on a t-shirt, but not the Brewfest beer mug or a coffee cup.

And I want all three!

50 Years of BMWMOA
Living the Dream

50 Years of BMWMOA
The Passion Continues

50 Years of BMWMOA
The Ride Continues

50 Years of BMWMOA
Friends, Motorcycles and Miles of Smiles

Last edited:
Back