• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 rt BMW's to be shipped with radios to be installed later

bdfbeemer

RT in NC
I am not sure if this has been covered. My dealer told me the first RTs will not have have a radio due to chip scarcity. The next batch will halve all the speakers and wiring but no radio. He wasn't sure when the full package will be available.

I am not sure if this has been covered. My dealer told me the first RTs will not have have a radio due to chip scarcity. The next batch will halve all the speakers and wiring but no radio. He wasn't sure when the full package will be available.

I talked to my favorite sales rep last week and she said bikes can be ordered with the audio system. Bikes will be delivered without the radios and they (radios) will be shipped to the dealers and installed later, when available.

I talked to my favorite sales rep last week and she said bikes can be ordered with the audio system. Bikes will be delivered without the radios and they (radios) will be shipped to the dealers and installed later, when available.

It would appear that attempting to rely on "just-in-time" global supply chains isn't all it is claimed to be. And of course, in the end, it is the consumer who suffers.

Not really a plot to deprive anyone of anything.....Chip shortage is a global issue-

DETROIT — General Motors is extending temporary shutdowns at three of its North American plants due to a global semiconductor chip shortage, which is expected to shed billions off automakers' earnings in 2021. ... GM also said its Gravatai plant in Brazil will take downtime in April and May.Mar 3, 2021

More from CNN here-

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/17/tech/samsung-honda-vw-semiconductor-shortage-intl-hnk/index.html

OM

I will add a bit to the title for clarity.

Honda is doing a temporary shutdown in car production at US plants as well, due to the chip shortage. Some chip availability was already an issue pre-pandemic, due in no small part to the cryptocurrency miners. Then along comes COVID-19 and everyone needs a computing device for work or play, chip manufacturers and suppliers underwent shutdowns, shipping became a problem, and so on. It will likely be a year or so before that entire supply chain settles down again.

I’ve been trying for several months to round up components for a new virtual machine host server at home, and have for now given up trying to get the chips and motherboards I want. Used high-performance motherboards are selling for more than new ones used to...

Best,
DeVern

Honda is doing a temporary shutdown in car production at US plants as well, due to the chip shortage. Some chip availability was already an issue pre-pandemic, due in no small part to the cryptocurrency miners. Then along comes COVID-19 and everyone needs a computing device for work or play, chip manufacturers and suppliers underwent shutdowns, shipping became a problem, and so on. It will likely be a year or so before that entire supply chain settles down again.

I’ve been trying for several months to round up components for a new virtual machine host server at home, and have for now given up trying to get the chips and motherboards I want. Used high-performance motherboards are selling for more than new ones used to...

Best,
DeVern

Stellantis (used to partially be Chrysler - the result of Fiat buying Chrysler and Peugot buying or merging with Fiat Chrysler or something similar) and Ford are partially building trucks and stockpiling them until they can get chips to finish the trucks. Ram 1500 and Ford F150 in particular. Globally manufacturers are losing billions. Time to rethink global supply chains I suspect.

Last edited:
Too bad one could not just use what they send wired then connect a cable to pipe music from an iPhone or Android. Guessing prior, if one ordered a base r1200rt model you got the speaker housing covers but probably no speakers...could be 100% wrong.

Though my 05 r1200rt CD player is a keeper...not. Would think I could save a drop of weight if I had that item removed from the fairing. Indeed chip shortages are a real thing. Some Ford trucks are being made without a key chip which means they will get 1mpg less then otherwise if the Chip was installed.

BMW Motorrad Bulletin on Chip Supply Issue

For those who are considering the purchase of a 2021 R1250RT, BMW Motorrad has issued a bulletin regarding the chip supply for the electronics of the bike. Here is the message I received from a contact in BMW NA this morning (3/26/2021):

"There was a recent bulletin dated March 2, 2021 regarding the RT Radio System option: PRODUCT UPDATE - THE NEW 2021 R 1250 RT RADIO SYSTEM UPDATE Bluetooth for Music Streaming Standard

Per the bulletin, the option will not be available in the first supply units of the 2021 R 1250 RT due to a global chip supply issue. Riders will still be able to play audio via the standard integrated Bluetooth system. Please refer customers to their preferred Motorrad dealer to discuss this and the details of the bulletin."

Translation please...what are they saying lol. Darn, it is bad enough they are making us wait so long to see this model at dealers and now this...will be a long summer waiting for a fix or updated ‘full’ radio.

Place your bets now as to when this will be resolved. Car plants shut down due to chip shortages. Maybe, if lucky, by the end of this year but don’t count on it is my bet.

Last edited:

Best,
DeVern

The brand new Volvo car plant near Charleston, SC recently announced production slow-downs due to chip availability.
This sounds like a problem we're going to have to live with for some time.

The brand new Volvo car plant near Charleston, SC recently announced production slow-downs due to chip availability.
This sounds like a problem we're going to have to live with for some time.

Just think of the chaos and damage if a nation state decided to weaponize the lack of availability of critical parts. Pick the right pieces and it can do minor damage to the home economy and cripple whole other economies.

Radio and Active Cruise Control

I put a deposit down on a new 2021 RT at the dealer yesterday. Dealers don’t seem to know what is going on. So the sales person did tell me that the bike will not have the radio due to the chip shortage. Does anyone really know if the radio is standard and will BMW supply them at some point and have the dealer install at no additional cost? I may give BMW USA a call to confirm one way or another. Also, if your bike is equipped with Active Cruise Control, you will not be able to use this feature until DOT approves, which has not happened yet. Ducati is facing the same issue. I assume a software update once approved will fix this issue.

First I’ve heard about the ACC. When I called BMW NA they said they had no information about the radio issue. As it has become more well known perhaps they will choose to say something differently. Also as mentioned in another post, no TPMS due to the chip issue. I’m waiting to hear from BMW if they will retrofit the TPMS once they become available.

MAX BMW shows three 2021 R1250RTs on its website. Here is the most expensive of the three, along with its list of components:

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.04.08 AM.png

Comfort Package (Keyless Ride, Chrome Exhaust Pipe, Central Locking System, Heated Seats, Anti-Theft Alarm System, Accessory Socket), Dynamic Package (Dynamic ESA, Gear-Shift Assist Pro, Ride Modes Pro, Active Cruise Control), Style Package (Chrome Accents), Adaptive Headlight, Headlight Pro, Dynamic Engine Brake Control, LED Auxiliary Lights, ABS Pro, Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow II.

All three show having ACC, but none show TPMS. Looking through the BMW "Build Your Own" website offering, TPMS is not mentioned anywhere that I could find.

MAX BMW shows three 2021 R1250RTs on its website. Here is the most expensive of the three, along with its list of components:

View attachment 83052

Comfort Package (Keyless Ride, Chrome Exhaust Pipe, Central Locking System, Heated Seats, Anti-Theft Alarm System, Accessory Socket), Dynamic Package (Dynamic ESA, Gear-Shift Assist Pro, Ride Modes Pro, Active Cruise Control), Style Package (Chrome Accents), Adaptive Headlight, Headlight Pro, Dynamic Engine Brake Control, LED Auxiliary Lights, ABS Pro, Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow II.

All three show having ACC, but none show TPMS. Looking through the BMW "Build Your Own" website offering, TPMS is not mentioned anywhere that I could find.

This is just a thought, but as Euro Regulations change maybe TPMS is now a required "standard" feature.

I think TPMS “disappeared” when they revamped the build your bike section once it was determined we were definitely not getting the radio due to the chip shortage. I wish I had kept my original build, because it had the radio and I believe the TPMS (all under the premium package). Once the chip shortage caused the changes they changed the build your bike section and the affected items were removed.

TPMS was included in the premium package, as #S0530. If you look at the premium package for the RS you'll see it listed. I have a copy of a build configuration for a 2021 RT and the number is the same #S0530. I guess they only have so many chips and they sell more RT's then RS's.

Did your build include anything else besides the premium package? I don’t believe they lowered the price when they left of the radio and TPMS. What was the price of the build? Thanks

Back