• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle security on a trip?

Been in a couple places that if I could have got the bike in the room I would have
Always lock the forks, remove tempting items and lastly cover the bike
Read somewhere that covering the bike is the best thief pervention on the road

A Trunk Monkey looks like the hot set up!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=2KmybXbarK4&start=65&end=96&cid=1056805"></param><embed src="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=2KmybXbarK4&start=65&end=96&cid=1056805" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A Trunk Monkey looks like the hot set up!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=2KmybXbarK4&start=65&end=96&cid=1056805"></param><embed src="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=2KmybXbarK4&start=65&end=96&cid=1056805" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So, will a Trunk Monkey fit in my top case?

A good friend of mine had his '82 GS750 stolen a quite a few years back by a local punk. The frustrating thing for my friend, Ron, was that he spotted the thief riding it a couple of times, but could never catch him. The local LEOs had it on their hot sheets too, but never found the guy. Ron finally recovered the bike when he spotted it slung from the back end of a tow trunk. He followed the driver to the tow yard and explained the situation. Apparently, the thief had wrecked the bike by crashing it in a ditch. Forks and front wheel were messed up pretty good.

I recently ask Ron two questions. One, did he use the fork lock? "No, there was never a need too before." The second question was if he had any knowledge if the thief was injured when he wrecked bike. "I hope so." was Ron's reply.

Fake it or it is Fake?

While I agree, parking and site selection is a must... at a cafe, park in a space that can be seen from inside or from drive thru window...

I have used a cable on occasion run thru the sleeves of my jacket, draped over the handle bars and lock to frame.....pull of GPS and any other detachable farkles, if I am going to be out of sight of the bike.

For about $5.00 I have a blinking LED light that blinks while the key is turned OFF....and it turns OFF with the key is on.... at night at motel, (like it parked outside my room or visible from room)...I use a Bike Cover just to hide it all....the blinking light glows thru the cover on the bike... Alarm or Fake?

With my blinking LED I have noticed that during the day... lookers will see the light and back up a step or two.....that is worth the price of admission to this project! :thumb

Would really like a small label under light saying something like "Drone alert" ...:brow

Lock and lights.... just keep honest people honest....the professional theft knows all the tricks too! ....

For about $5.00 I have a blinking LED light that blinks while the key is turned OFF....and it turns OFF with the key is on.... at night at motel, (like it parked outside my room or visible from room)...I use a Bike Cover just to hide it all....the blinking light glows thru the cover on the bike... Alarm or Fake?

With my blinking LED I have noticed that during the day... lookers will see the light and back up a step or two.....that is worth the price of admission to this project! :thumb

Now that is neat. Got one of those at the side of the house, but it's way to big for the bike. :thumb

7003435628_0e57d968c0_z.jpg
I'm not sayin, but there's always.. .. . :whistle

DSC00321_zps0350d6cb.jpg

Great minds think alike!

7003435628_0e57d968c0.jpg

And ours too!

Also a good place to replace a blown top end during the 2012 Scooter Cannonball Run!

7003398528_dea5314a6a_n.jpg

Secure parking

Our own Kevin Greenwald (retired LEO) did a great article about 3 years ago in the ON. I've followed his advice and never had a bit of trouble.

Here's what I do at a motel:

Situational awareness: As others have said, be a little choosey about the motel/location. Avoid the rough neighborhoods for sure.
Park it on the side-stand for stability
Dick brake lock.....with reminder cable on handlebar
Try to stay where it can be parked right outside the room, or in a well-lit area
Pull the side cases
Cover it....I always do this, and believe that it's a great deterrent
Be sure the insurance is paid up

Sleep peacefully.

So what is it about bike covers that prevent stolen bikes

I would have thought it would be a bonus, get a bike and a cover

I wish those who get their bike stolen with the key in the ignition the best of luck in getting their insurance company to cover the cost of the theft.

A pro wonÔÇÖt have any problem taking your "ugly" GS and breaking it down for parts.

I cover my bike and park it near the room door or the motel entrance. I stay in a nice area of town and always remove the key and use a lock with an alarm. This wonÔÇÖt stop a real pro, but it will make the thief more likely to take the bike that is not locked and parked away from foot traffic in an unlit area.

E.

I wish those who get their bike stolen with the key in the ignition the best of luck in getting their insurance company to cover the cost of the theft.

A pro wonÔÇÖt have any problem taking your "ugly" GS and breaking it down for parts.

I cover my bike and park it near the room door or the motel entrance. I stay in a nice area of town and always remove the key and use a lock with an alarm. This wonÔÇÖt stop a real pro, but it will make the thief more likely to take the bike that is not locked and parked away from foot traffic in an unlit area.

E.

Based on my law enforcement experience, let's just say you're making a huge presumption that they admit to the claims adjuster that they left the key in the ignition. :brow

But you make very good points.

Forces a thief to deal with the hassle of removing the cover to decide if worth stealing, what security measures are in place that have to be defeated and due to time consumption, risks attracting more attention.

Covers do more than just guard against the elements. :thumb

Based on my law enforcement experience, let's just say you're making a huge presumption that they admit to the claims adjuster that they left the key in the ignition. :brow

But you make very good points.

If the thief is arrested with the key, you will have some serious explaining regarding the false statement on the insurance claim form.

E.

The thief doesn't know what is under the cover (it could be something he doesn't want) and taking the cover off takes time and draws attention. The cover shouldn't have anything on it that identifies what is under it.

I had a less that brilliant friend who had Harley stuff all over the outside of the enclosed trailer he hauled two Harleys in. Somebody stole the trailer with the Harleys inside from the motel parking lot. A plain unmarked trailer would not have been bothered.

Motorcycle security on a trip

Back in the day (1980's) Gary Krieger rode an airhead spray painted orange and covered with oil seepage. No chance anyone was going to steal that bike. As I recall it rode well according to Gary....

In KY, key in or key out is 2 separate laws on the thief's end & they get less time one way. more the other. As I understand it can make a difference in insurance coverage?

Back