• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Digital cameras

Another late entry

From MIKA's post this morning:

SUPER PHYSIQUE

At 1.4 pounds and 5.1 ?ù 3.6 ?ù 2.8 inches, the K100D is one of the lightest, smallest digital SLRs. Despite its diminutive dimensions, it makes room for a comfortable handgrip, large control buttons and knobs, and a generous 2.5-inch LCD screen.

STRAIGHT SHOOTING

Got jittery hands? Gyroscopic sensors detect camera shake and send signals to magnets inside the K100D. The magnets stabilize the free-floating image sensor plate to counteract your motion, keeping the CCD still while the camera body moves around it.

PRISTINE PIXELS
A custom image processor effectively eliminates most pixel noise ÔÇô those fuzzy-looking artifacts caused by amplifying weak light signals. But the chip is slower than others at processing photos and getting the camera ready for its next shot.

LUXURIOUS LENS
Many SLRs come with a low-end lens to get you started, but the PentaxÔÇÖs included 18- to 55-mm lens captures razor-sharp pics with minimal geometric distortion, the common bending of straight lines at wide-angle settings.

COMMON CARDS, CELLS
Just like your entry-level pocket cam, the K100D accepts SD cards. (But they arenÔÇÖt included.) The K100D also takes a lithium-ion battery or four AAs, so you can substitute disposables when your planet- and money-saving rechargeables run dry.

$700

www.pentaximaging.com

Attachments

• Pentax.jpg
    Pentax.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 826
While touring Canada this past summer we took a Canon AF540 digital camera. Far from high tech, and not an SLR, but it served us quite well. Most of our pictures were taken while riding, and if we did drop or loose the camera the reaonable price of $300 CAD wasn't too hard to swallow.

Tom Moran's post #57 summed it up so well, I've nothing to add in that digital direction. But for my own travel photo gear I march to a different drummer. Probably not for everybody, but it can be done....

Right now, film gear is really cheap (used). And I've ended up with a collection of about a dozen 35mm and medium-format units. Rolleiflexes, a Widelux with a panoramic (swinging) lens, a weather-resistant 35mm Olympus Stylus.

Generally, I'll have at least 3 cameras. The 35mm p&s weather-resist Olympus absolutely goes, in a little fanny pack, outside my 'Stich. Always handy, and able to hand it to strangers so they can take decent photos of me and my partner Sharon. Lens is decent, but not great. Best not to use the zoom. But the camera is cheap and robust, has a flash, and an idiot can use it. It takes an odd battery, a 123 model, so I buy an extra ahead of time and put it in the same padded fanny-pack.

Next, I'll pack the same big Lowepro camera bag that Kbasa posted on waaaaaay back, and it goes in my tankbag. Seems the smoothest best-protected spot on the bike. Then my favorite gear for moto trips (assuming the trip is not all dirt roads) is my 1950s-era Rolleiflex or Rolleicord, a medium-format twin-lens camera where I view the scene on a non-electric 2" square viewscreen on top the camera. I can compose and shoot w/o removing my helmet using that camera, there's no batteries to die, and when the big negatives are scanned they produce Jpeg images in the 20 mega-pixel range. I also have some macro lenses that are very compact that I'll toss in, too. So now I'm covered for tiny shots and normal-view shots.

Next the Widelux panoramic camera, which just takes 35mm film, for the "big picture." Excellent in big sky country, small towns (one shot shows the whole town), and many other places where you're up close but want to capture a wide area. Those negs easily produce 10 mega-pixel images if desired.

Then add film and a cheap light-meter (since only the modern Olympus has a built-in meter), and a couple extra batteries for the meter (SR-44, about the size of under-bucket valve adjust shims). They last a long time, and odds are I won't need a new one, but if I do, I'm ready.

With the above setup, I'm unlikely to ever lose all 3 cameras due to accident / theft / old age. If all the batteries did die, two of the three cameras are still fully functional by using a light-meter spreadsheet on my PDA, or by my own memory of how much light requires what exposure. In daylight, I generally don't use a meter, as I don't need it. But in trickier lighting (long exposures indoors, for instance, such as in a mine or a bar), I'll use the meter. The only camera I'd be really busted up about losing is the Widelux, a good one is sorta pricey for a 50 y/o camera (a grand or so). The other two cameras aren't really worth much at all.

Oh, I also take a tripod. Size depends on how much room I can spare.

Back home, I'll have the negs scanned when processed, and go from there.

I like the robust, proven nature of the group above. They seem quite resistant to vibration on the GS, or my DR-350, or even in my Jeep. I like the redundancy, ie, neither battery failure nor even 1-2 camera failures would cripple my ability to come home with good stuff.

I'm actually looking at a 50 y/o 4x5 press camera and a Polaroid back, as well as conventional 4x5 sheet film, for the times when I really want detail. I figure with a Polaroid back on the press camera, I might even enter some long-distance rallies. Depending on the model, several of them have a wire-frame view finder, and I could shoot w/o taking off my helmet.

My 12 y/o son shoots digital on trips, a little 6 mega-pixel Nikon P&S, as well. Pocketable, gives decent results with no experience at all. But shutter lag is a pain if you've grown used to not having shutter lag.

Bought one of these 'GORILLAPOD' tripods at a local store in July for $25.00 (CDN). Clings to tree limbs, fence rails, handlebars, foot-long hotdogs and garbage pail covers. Amazing little critter! Should be one in every photo bag.
Don't leave home without the little feller.

A GorillaPod news blurb.

And GorillaPod themselves.
`

Attachments

• gorillapod.jpg
    gorillapod.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 704
http://www.imaging-resource.com has excellent in-depth reviews and plenty of other useful info to help you decide what to get.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm has terrific practical info about taking pictures.

I just picked up a Canon SD900 after a long line of Sony digital cameras and it's very impressive so far, but I'm not yet up to speed on the menu system. That will take a awhile, but the automatic settings have given me most of what I want.

camera doesn't matter digi, film, DSLR, or P&S... I used to carry a Pentax 6x7 cm or a Fuji X-Pan (24x65mm) but nothing now I'm looking for a new one.

This is a good secure set up Just don't leave it up for a long time Vibration will loosen it as you go. The Flex Arm will absorb some vibrations unlike a rigid mount

Bogen / Manfrotto 2896HD Heavy-Duty Flex Arm - for Super Clamp
This is a type of flexable goose neck that will mount in the super clamp
and a Bogen / Manfrotto 2915 Super Clamp without Stud. The super clamp will fit on frame or handlebars
see it at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...314&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

for a different angel use a monopod to put the camera out to the side of you. Mount the camera to the monopod than sit on the monopod so the camera sticks out to the side of the bike.

An electronic remote release can be taped to the handlebars, jacket or hung around your neck till needed . These will breakaway I.C.E.

aprarye said:
camera doesn't matter digi, film, DSLR, or P&S... I used to carry a Pentax 6x7 cm or a Fuji X-Pan (24x65mm) but nothing now I'm looking for a new one.

This is a good secure set up Just don't leave it up for a long time Vibration will loosen it as you go. The Flex Arm will absorb some vibrations unlike a rigid mount

Bogen / Manfrotto 2896HD Heavy-Duty Flex Arm - for Super Clamp
This is a type of flexable goose neck that will mount in the super clamp
You're essentially right about the camera not mattering, though if your composition skills are good, some cameras make it a whole lot faster and easier to get what you see. I gave two of my dotters Canon A540's for Christmas and I'm blown away how easy it is to get really great shots from a $150 camera.

And THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for the link on that flex arm. I've been looking for something like that for a couple of months!

Scanner

DougGrosjean said:
I can compose and shoot w/o removing my helmet using that camera, there's no batteries to die, and when the big negatives are scanned they produce Jpeg images in the 20 mega-pixel range.
This year I got rid of all of my Hasselblads, but I am interested in scanning past negatives. What scanner do you use to scan the Rollei's negs?

Thanks in advance, Doug.

Paul F.

Here's my $.02 cents worth on what is already an exhaustively posted topic.

I have two cameras - both a few years old. The Canon D60 DSLR is the big bad daddy. Include the three lenses, cleaning equipment, extra batteries, filters, remote shutters, tripod mounting plates, etc. and it's a big load to schlep around. I have a Pelican/Lowepro combo (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009PCQ1M/nextag-photo-20/ref=nosim) that fits in one of my side cases. The waterproof/bulletproof (okay - no emprical evidence to support the bulletproof claim) case has been down the Grand Canyon in a boat twice (288 miles down the Colorado length-wise, not width-wise) and on many a kayak expedition. It keeps EVERYTHING out of your camera - as long as you keep the lid closed :)

Not so great for taking photos while on the bike, but a great way to protect the camera while in route to your destination.

My other camera is an older Canon PowerShot S400. The cool thing about the tiny Canon digital point and shoot cameras is that you can almost always get a waterproof housing for them. (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...yAct&fcategoryid=113&keycode=underwater_photo) While the housings are generally for underwater photography, it also makes the camera great for simply hanging around your neck, even if you get stuck in a rain storm. These waterproof housings ain't cheap, and you need to get a new housing if you upgrade the camera, but for me the photos are priceless, so I'll spare no expense when it comes to safely getting the camera and the exposed "film" back home.

My suggestion for a friendly case for a point and shoot are the small electronics cases sold by REI. (http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...14&parent_category_rn=9064424&vcat=REI_SEARCH)
These little pouches have velcro straps that will attach to just about anything - the velcro strips on your Roadcrafter, around your mirror stem, to your tank bag - whatever - and your camera is always right there, somewhat protected from a brief shower or getting bumped. And you can't beat the price!

Paul_F said:
This year I got rid of all of my Hasselblads, but I am interested in scanning past negatives. What scanner do you use to scan the Rollei's negs?

Thanks in advance, Doug.

Paul F.

Hi Paul,

I don't pop in here every day, so that's why the delay.

I use a Epson Perception 2400, IIRC. It's got a backlight in the lid for lighting the negs, but didn't have a fixture for 120 film. So there's a guy out of Atlanta (Doug Fisher or Doug Mason) who makes a 120 filmholder.

But point is moot, because it's about 4 years old now, and there's better stuff out there now. But I tend to buy and keep stuff a long time, so I don't have any reccomendations on current gear.

However, a search of www.photo.net archives would point you in the right direction for 120 negative scanning.

HTH!

Doug Grosjean

PS:
Pano cameras rock, even if film. Fun to do in 1/250 second what it'll take a digital user a bit of time back at the terminal.... ;);) Hey, I've got to enjoy the few moments of superiority I get anymore.....

If you ever want way TOO much information on any digital camera ever made, check out http://www.dpreview.com for digital camera reviews, photography tips, latest prices, etc. Again, the site has way too much information for my amateur photographer needs, but too much information is always better than too little information, unless of course you're talking about your parent's sex lives!

By the way the images at & on http://www.panoramicimages.com were shot using FILM. Film formats vary but never cropped from a 35mm (24x36mm). 90% were with were shot with 6x17cm (2.25x 5.75") film most of the rest range from 24x65mm to 4x10" film.

scanning your film... best scanner is a drum type scanner. But that is a totally pro piece of eqiupement. Spend as much as you can and get a wet mounting adapter. Take a look at http://scanscience.com. Other than that a film scanner for film Nikon has two 35 mm scanners both which
produce outstanding results, same performace but different kinks and
add ons. You can do fluid scanning on the Nikon very economically,
and with a more technically advanced implementation that avoids
'flatbedding'.
A flatbed for doccuments and flat art.

The epson V750 is a nice flatbed that will also do film as most flatbeds. But when doing film wet mouting will get you the best performance.

one other tip just shoot it and as large as you can (digi file) and edit later

Humble camera but good results

I've got a small Nikon Coolpix 2100 (yes, 2.1MP resolution) that I bought 3 years ago. It fits in most shirt pockets and fits nicely in my tank bag. I've got a small case that attaches to the belt on my jacket so it can be carried there too.

I've taken some photos with it while riding (see attached for an example) that I reduced in resolution in order to post here. It can be a lot of fun but I will only do it out on an open road with no traffic around.

The mirror shot is my favorite. It's of a buddy on a Yamaha cruiser-style bike and he's where he belongs (BEHIND my BMW) on the ride. You can see the small size of the camera in the mirror. My hands are small for a guy and the camera fits nicely.

JAY YAMBROVICH
2000 R1100RT Opal Blue, 35820 miles

Attachments

• Mirror shot small.jpg
    Mirror shot small.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 592
My better half just bought me a new camera this evening. Its the Canon A710IS. What a SWEET camera!!! I've been playing around with it for about two hours now, I'm still a more than a little overwhelmed. I am camera lingo challenged, and I have no clue what ISO, F-stop, etc means, but I think I'm about to learn!

Took some great shots of our dinner (mongolian grill type stuff) my kitchen, and the inside of the car. LOL

I've also been playing with my new tripod and taking some long exposure shots of the orchard and the river. Too bad its overcast and 25F out. Taking pics of the stars would be fun.

Hopefully it will be a 'no ice' day tomorrow and I after my OT shift I can hope on the R45 and get some pics of it down by the river.

yippee!!!!

Sorry, I'm just pretty jazzed. My regular camera is an 8 year old Olympus 1.3 megapixel job. Still does the job, but................

Dee

Magnetic tank bags???

Hi:

I got a question that I've been unable to find the answer for.

Is the magnets in a magnetic tank bag harmful to a digital camera? or more specifically harmful to the memory card?

I have a Canon Rebel XT and have put off buying a tank bag out of fear of losing my pics or ruining my CF card.

Thanks.

WOOT has an 8 megapixel camera this morning for $120. Prices are dropping like a rock. And the price of film chips is matching the drop in price.

If any of you folks ever see one of those wide angle camerss please PM me.

Hi:

Is the magnets in a magnetic tank bag harmful to a digital camera? or more specifically harmful to the memory card?

I have a Canon Rebel XT and have put off buying a tank bag out of fear of losing my pics or ruining my CF card.

Thanks.

I would be more worried about a sudden stop and having the heft of the Rebel come loose of the magnets and fly off the bike. I like to keep the Rebel in a givi topcase on the back of the bike. I keep a Point and Shoot in my jacket secured with a lanyard. I like the Canon A640 since it uses AA batteries. Turn off the LCD screen and you can get several hundred shots with one set of batteries.

I would still secure the magnetic bag with some kind of tether.

ian408 thanks for the dgrin.com site. It uses the same software used here. Sweet

Back