• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

I am so excited to show this picture to you, the R12 exhaust and the headers arrived back from Jet Hot today, spectacular! :blah

No discoloration from the heat.

Thanks,
Shane

I just read in BMW Motorcycle Magazine that a guy bought these same R12 repros from Poland and had big overheating issues with them. His actually went on an R12, but that was the same displacement as your R75, albeit with a much smaller carbs and compression ratio

If you want to check it it's on p.72:

"The engine started normally, but within minutes, overheated so much that the chrome on the pipes burned. Greve finally discovered how to stop it: The Polish reproduction pipes had too many baffles. A few hits with a heavy rod through the mufflers gave the old girl air to breathe."

May want to have Josh check it out

Thanks

I just read in BMW Motorcycle Magazine that a guy bought these same R12 repros from Poland and had big overheating issues with them. His actually went on an R12, but that was the same displacement as your R75, albeit with a much smaller carbs and compression ratio

If you want to check it it's on p.72:

"The engine started normally, but within minutes, overheated so much that the chrome on the pipes burned. Greve finally discovered how to stop it: The Polish reproduction pipes had too many baffles. A few hits with a heavy rod through the mufflers gave the old girl air to breathe."

May want to have Josh check it out

Thanks so much, that is excellent information, I am emailing this to Josh right now.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane:

I recall that some airhead owners would drill their stock exchausts out, instead of going with aftermarket ones. This would be a bit less traumatic for your new units. :)

Liquid Coating

Josh dropped the parts off to have them Liquid Coated and below is the explanation that he received on the process. Some of you had concerns about certain areas not have tollerances for thick coatings and Josh is having that also addressed, this is what Josh said via email today:

"The info he gave me is this:

It is a High Temp liquid coat (meaning this stuff can get super hot and have no issues) that gets sprayed on similar to spraying on powder except it isn't electronically charged like powder is (that is why powder coating only works on metal).
It is a catalyzed Polyurethane that is baked on in an oven. Though not as hot as powder baking... and not as low as baking car paint.

It is a custom silver (and a custom paint in general) that is made for Stop Tech brake calipers. It is resistant to Brake fluid (which eats away any sort of paint). So if this is resistant to brake fluid, you know it is durable stuff.

It doesn't go on as thick as powder.

I have to return to the shop after everything is blasted and go over what needs to be masked. It will be crucial to make sure certain parts of the frame/pieces to not get coated."

Hope this clears up the process a little bit,
thanks,
Shane

I don't remember if we've previously addressed this issue; control perch wedges. http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/perch/index.htm

Any errant paint build up on the inside surfaces of the control perches will play hell with trying to get the little wedges back in. That's what happened on mine.

You do have the wedges (lovingly referred to as TTDs (Triangular thingy doofers)) ..... right?

TTD.jpg

Thanks

I don't remember if we've previously addressed this issue; control perch wedges. http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/perch/index.htm

Any errant paint build up on the inside surfaces of the control perches will play hell with trying to get the little wedges back in. That's what happened on mine.

You do have the wedges (lovingly referred to as TTDs (Triangular thingy doofers)) ..... right?

TTD.jpg

Thanks for all the information, Josh is aware of it and is going to make sure nothing gets coated that will cause issues, you guys are the best,

thanks,
Shane

Early 1940's Brilliance

Check out his picture of the R12 exhaust with Jet Hot coating, spectacular! :clap

Have a great weekend everyone. The bike is at the liquid coaters, when it gets back, Josh will mock it up with the tank and fenders and then it will go off to Bill Hamilton at Hamilton Classics to put that historic K45-286 Porsche Silver and Porsche Grand Prix white race stripe on it and then final assembly. You may need to put your sun glasses on to view the below image! :D

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• IMAG0521.jpg
    IMAG0521.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 350
Exhaust on Josh's Bike

Not sure if I shared before, but Josh did a mockup of the R12 on his bike some months ago and this is what it looks like, thanks

Shane

Attachments

• 10-11-11_2.jpg
    10-11-11_2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 315
Thanks

I love the look of your motorcycle.

I think you are referring to Josh's bike, not mine, mine is not much to look at presently, but we are working very hard to change that. The picture above shows my R12 exhaust on Josh's bike. Thanks for your kind words, have a great weekend everyone.

Sincerely,
Shane

Polished

Are Josh's shiny motor parts polished aluminum, or coated?

How are you? He has them polished, not sure who he uses yet, but when I get the bill I can share with you the source, thanks for checking in and following my restoration.

Sincerely,
Shane

No Updates

Sorry guys I do not have anything new as of late. We have a call into our upholstery guy for the seat seeing how that is going, they were suppose to cut the leather last week. We will see, I will let you know as soon as I have anything new,

Thanks,
Shane

We have been BLASTED!

Josh just sent me an email and said that he is heading over the checkout the parts, they are done being blasted and hopefully he will snap some quick photos for us. The next step is for him to make sure that the parts that need to be protected from the liquid coating is not touched. Very exciting.

Thanks,
Shane

Blasting Complete Prior to Liquid Coating

Good morning everyone, Josh shot some picture of the blasted parts and some of the process. You can check out his blog below describing the operation.

http://beemersandbits.com/2012/03/b...paign=Feed:+BeemersAndBits+(Beemers+and+Bits)

I will post a couple pictures of the blasted parts to share with everyone, he has marked the areas where he does not want them coated so we do run into any clearance issues.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 03-09-12_1 Blasted Frame.jpg
    03-09-12_1 Blasted Frame.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 146
It's always exciting to see unusual surface treatment. It should be interesting to see how long the levers retain their coating on the "contact" surfaces.

Unusual?

It's always exciting to see unusual surface treatment. It should be interesting to see how long the levers retain their coating on the "contact" surfaces.

I suppose it depends on what you think is unusual, thinking outside the box and using a different process to make the bike unique sounds like a good gamble to me. Not worried one bit to tell you the truth. :)

Thanks,
Shane

Total mis-read Shane. No worries about motorcycles at all mate; reoccurring cancer would be a worry.

I LIKE unusual treatment of surfaces ... something different is the spice of life! And it's always fun to see something unexpected. Like painted toaster panels for example.

Back