• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Locking the Navigator V on an RT

bobs_one

Sigh. What were BMW thinking? I have my Navigator V on my 2014 RT and it is very useful/nice. It was overly expensive, but hey, I bought a BMW with my eyes open. :)

But - I am not happy with the fact that I have to take it off and lock it in the trunk every time I park the bike in public. Has any one come up with a good solution for locking the thing in place or preventing it from bening stolen? I saw a post somewhere (can't find it now) about someone who had put a bolt through the release button and that bolt couldn't be removed unless the windshield was up (seems like an interesting approach). I'd like to see that solution and would love to hear from anyone else who has a better one.

But - I am not happy with the fact that I have to take it off and lock it in the trunk every time I park the bike in public.

I know this won't help...but the locking Nav V mount on the R1200GS wethead was a nice selling point for me (on top of the longer legroom, which was mandatory for me).

Harry

Sigh. What was BMW thinking? I am not happy with the fact that I have to take it off and lock it in the trunk every time I park the bike in public.

Good question! The GS has a Nav V GPS lock and so does my 2015 R1200R. BMW could have had it on the R1200RT as well had it wanted to.

I think there's a thread in the Wethead forum maybe a month or two ago. Someone came up with a fix which essentially makes the NavV not removable except with a small screwdriver. I seem to recall that the thread-starter drilled a hole in the push-button release, mounted a screw there, and made it very difficult to remove quickly or unobtrusively. I'll look for it.

Well, I looked and even searched the Tag Cloud, and couldn't find it. Maybe it was on SportTouring.com's forum. As I recall, the method required some dash disassembly to accomplish, but seemed like an elegant solution. However, this was not a lock, merely something which would slow somebody down and be real obvious that he/she was trying to steal the Nav V.

Last edited:
I'am guilty it was me that came up with the 25 cent fix
1remove windshield
2 drill a small hole in release button about 1/4 in out from dash
3 use a stainless sheet metal screw with a couple small washers, screwed into button
4 reinstall windshield, put a dab of silicone grease on the torx screws, carefull not to over tighten
When bike is shut down and windshield parks no room to remove screw

I'am a lousy poster of pics, if someone PM's with their email I can send pics of install, feel free to put them on the board

Jim

Nice Jim! I knew there was an answer but couldn't find it. It's good that BMW allowed the Nav V to "click" into the mount without having to touch the release.

Thanks. Something to work on this week...

Even my dealer was surprised when I was taking delivery on my 2014 RT to find out there was no way to lock it. He assumed it was like the K16s where you had to raise the windshield to remove it.

I'll admit that if I'm just running into a convenience store for a quick pit stop I leave on it figuring the chances of someone figuring out how to get it off before I come back out and commence butt kicking with security cameras on them is pretty low. If I'm going to be away for more a couple of minutes I lock it in the side case and put the cover over the terminal.

For 17 years I have had a variety of GPS units attached to our various bikes with RAM mounts. Nothing locking. Yes, I remove the GPSs when parked at motels overnight. Otherwise I have never bothered and have never had one ripped off. Some day, maybe. But life is way to short for me to worry about it. Certainly, for folks who go to, and park in more dangerous places than I do, YMMV.

I'm guilty of covering the dash which has easy access to the Nav V, gloves, helmet and if I forget my key with my jacket. It's an old faded Motoport so not to attractive for someone to want. It's amazing what covering up does to keep people away. I thinking about buying some new gear so now I worry about all the stuff and the jacket.

When I took delivery of my RT (02/2014) my dealer was on top of it he pointed out the glove box on left for Nav V storage, then I asked about the tool kit for road side repairs he pointed to the other glove box and said that where you keep your phone:banghead.

The screw sounds like a good idea I wonder how it works over time, I take mine off to update and load routes often.

Jay

The mount for my Garmin Zumo 550 had a security screw and a special screwdriver. So, I did a quick search and came up with a company that makes security screws and bolts, some as small as 4-40.

http://www.tamperproof.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=expandline

I'm thinking there should be a way of drilling a hole in a chunck of aluminum so it could slip on the release knob. Cut a slot so it can clamp. Drill and tap a 4-40 hole in the aluminum so it completely clears the release knob and supplies a mild clamping action when the security bolt is inserted.

Something like this should be possible, and there might be a better design.

I have no idea if these security screws can be obtained in small quantities, because I didn't do much looking.

Still, you mechanical wizards out there should be able to suggest something ... .

The screw job, no pun intended, I did to the release button, will only deter the casual thief
If they really want it, nothing you can do to stop them

The screw job, no pun intended, I did to the release button, will only deter the casual thief
If they really want it, nothing you can do to stop them

I get that. But, something better than allowing a simple push on a button would be nice.

I looked up the parts fiche on line. The "button" costs less than $3 US. It is not clear whether the button (attached to a shaft) screws on or is a press-in. It does seem it is a molded part, a button on a shaft, with no interior impediment to drilling right through it.

So, instead of your screw from behind, a security screw from the front should prevent the button from moving left and unlocking the Nav V while allowing removal with the right tool, such as a double pin bit.

Just thinking... .

How do you put the GPS unit in the left dash pocket?
Mine won't fit, am I missing something?

BTW, I put mine in the left saddlebag when parked.

I put the dust cover in the left pocket all the time. I have not tried to put the gps in it though. I usually stick that in my jacket pocket if it is a fairly quick stop away from the bike. For a longer stop, I will usually lock it in the bags.

I hate reengineering what is a carefully engineered motorcycle. The non-locking GPS notwithstanding. I slip the GPS in the right pocket of my Roadcrafter. Oops, left pocket-the right has my revolver. I like to take it in with me to look at it, to check mileages, etc. When I sell a used bike it looks like it did on the dealer's floor. Farkles don't stir me up. Just my opinion. Each to his own.

Larry

Back