• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Almost 2 Months and still no membership materials

Thanks for the clear explanation. Until the process improves just disclose that in the process of signing up and all is good.

I am happy to bend over backwards for the members as is most of our staff, volunteers, Directors, etc. In my view, we are all one family and if you need something, I'll be glad to take care of it.

I can attest to that... :thumb

ian

Thanks for the clear explanation. Until the process improves just disclose that in the process of signing up and all is good.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. If someone signs up the day after a cutoff, by Ted's math it could easily be 45 days before they receive their packet. In my case it has taken even longer.

I think that should be disclosed when someone signs up to avoid any misunderstandings or missed expectations.

I would suggest that some of you do as I did; don't mention a name or any opinion of an organization, and ask folks if they sign up and pay to join an organization online and don't receive their membership materials within the next 8 weeks, what would their opinion be?

It sounds like steps are being taken to improve things, which is great. In the meantime, I think a disclosure is in order. A disclosure wouldn't have kept me from signing up, and I would have known what to expect.

Jeff
I'm not arguing or debating here.
I will tell you my belief of these things.
If I keep a book from the library late, and get a 'fine' I do not consider that a fine, but a donation, and I'm happy to pay it.
I'm a member of many forums and make donations, or pay membership fees and expect nothing in return.
So here, if I never got any membership packet it would mean nothing to me.
In fact, I may not get a membership packet, I don't really know. I suppose I have pins and cards and sign up gifts from many organizations in my drawer. The only reason I open the drawer is to put that stuff in there, and never look at it.
I guess it isn't that I have low expectations, it's that I have no expectations.
So to me it's all just benefit. I've got a lot of good advice here on my bike. And I think that alone was worth more than the fee. Or donation.
I guess it's like the non profit radio station here. Sure you could listen for free. Or make a donation. And they give you a 'gift' cd. But you are not buying the cd.
dc

I understand what you are saying dc.

Ted, no need to priority mail me anything. It sounds like my packet was mailed per the normal operating procedure. No need to make any special accommodations. I think the current system is lacking a bit, but it is what it is.

I am not much of a "joiner", and I am not in to group activities like rallies. I did think the MOA forums, the magazine and anonymous book seemed worthwhile though, so after years of BMW ownership, decided to join.

Same here....mind you I joined the year after I got my GS.

But don't feel bad. I've been a member non-stop since 1992 and a few months ago, I noticed that I wasn't receiving my BMWMOA Owners News. It was June already and looking at my stack of ON, my last issue received was March 2014...so where were my April and May issues?

Since taken care of. Some computer glitch, probably Microsoft related. :laugh The BMW MOA office has since sent me my April and May issues, but for some reason I also got an extra March issue now. My missing June issue is yet to come...Beth Cooper is taking care of that.

I understand what you are saying dc.

Ted, no need to priority mail me anything. It sounds like my packet was mailed per the normal operating procedure. No need to make any special accommodations. I think the current system is lacking a bit, but it is what it is.

Got my membership packet yesterday. This year things were different, I got a full size plastic card with a cool photo on it. That's new. I also got another sticker. I put this one on the back of the schuberth instead of the tool box. Not a sticker guy but I'll make an exception for the hard work Ted and others are doing on my behalf.
Jeff,
Welcome to the club. I hope you have many long and fruitful years with the MOA. I'm glad to see this statement above though I think it's a little late, as it sounds like Ted already priority mailed the second package. I want to ask you Jeff, if you asked those same (8 people I think it was) a follow on question, "What is your opinion of people who receive extra attention from leadership by complaining publicly?" I'm pretty sure you would get a unanimous response. In any professional organization, the quality of that professionalism is directly attributable to each member. I was really impressed with dc's willingness to refund your registration fee and it's my understanding he's not even an elected officer, just a member like me, willing to make right and make the organization better. Here'ye here'ye... All who read this thread, take note, and know what the members of this fine organization are willing to do on behalf of our members, new and old alike.

Last edited:
I have received PM's from lifetime and long term members. They have expressed some pretty serious dissatisfaction with the organization and think membership packets taking the time they do to be indicative of overall problems and attitudes. It has been said the organization has become a bit full of itself. Not my words. Some have said they aren't sure why they continue to belong and may not renew. The fact they didn't want to post that in the open forum is a bit telling and says something about the reaction they may expect from "fanboys".

I certainly feel like I, and others have spent enough time on this thread and I know I have more important things to focus on. Like with any business or organization, the long term success depends on how things are managed and how concerns are addressed.

I sincerely wish everyone, and the organization itself, the very best.

Received my packet today.

Thanks Ted.

I joined July 11 (was it really less than two months ago???) and had a whale of a time just getting signed up and be able to log on to the forum (two separate logons for the main site and forum?!?!). Beth spent probably at least an hour with me on the phone and finally got that worked out but still I am unable to change my password from the original assigned by the system, even after an email request and assurance it would be handled. Nice folks but I finally just gave up.

Just received my first magazine today and the anonyomous guide a week or so ago. But to my knowledge have never received a welcome packet to this date (I could be mistaken). I'm not in a wad or anything but just relating what my experience has been.

Things happen

It is an organization that is run by a bunch of volunteers and a few staff members. Sometimes things don't get done due to glitches, oversight, etc.. Never from malice. I received one membership package over the years, missed more than one ON [thank goodness they now come protected] and had my listing in the Anonymous Book left out. I still ride. I still belong. I still meet great people on this forum and later on the road.

I hit a pigeon and broke my windscreen. Bud Meade sent me his old one. I came across a post about a member needing a toolbox for a /5. I had one from my many airheads and sent it to him. Above all else, this is a community of riders. I like it here.

In my view the number one benefit of being in the MOA is the Anonymous Book (this includes, by default the gracious folks that have agreed to be included in the Book). If you are ever on the road and in need of some help, you will quickly find that the help that you will likely get is worth many times the membership cost. I find the articles by Paul Glaves and Matt Parkhouse to be the best part of the magazine, followed by the listing of local rallies. The beeg national rally is ok, but I've found that I enjoyed going to the various local club rallies more. It is interesting to go to some different places and rallies and meet different folks. I have multiple bikes (not all BMW) and I often ride bikes other than BMW to local rallies - I am always made to feel welcome (in fact, it seems that there are more and more non-BMW bikes at these rallies).

I've ridden a Harley to a HD Rally and didn't feel like I quite fit in. Whereas I've ridden a Harley to a BMW rally and felt right at home. I guess it is the type of folks that are attracted to this club - meeting these folks is a pleasure and could be considered a terrific club benefit. [Although one can attend any of these rallies without actually being a club member.]

It is an organization that is run by a bunch of volunteers and a few staff members. Sometimes things don't get done due to glitches, oversight, etc.. Never from malice. I received one membership package over the years, missed more than one ON [thank goodness they now come protected] and had my listing in the Anonymous Book left out. I still ride. I still belong. I still meet great people on this forum and later on the road.

I hit a pigeon and broke my windscreen. Bud Meade sent me his old one. I came across a post about a member needing a toolbox for a /5. I had one from my many airheads and sent it to him. Above all else, this is a community of riders. I like it here.

For years I was on the BOD of a large local shooting association. That association was run entirely by volunteers, not a single paid staff member. We operated several ranges encompassing many shooting disciplines, and put on numerous monthly matches, and state and regional championships. New members were important to the organization, and they received their membership materials very quickly. We had volunteers that took care of that, it wasn't outsourced.

I can see that the other members, the anonymous book and the magazine are the real gems. There seems to be ample room for improvement for the underlying organization though.

Not to pile on, but when I didn't re-new last year the ON was stopped immediately, which I fully expected. I decided to re-new in June and haven't received anything at all. I like the forum but it's the only one I belong to that requires a fee to remain active.

My welcome packet and membership card quietly showed up in my mailbox yesterday! It's nice to know the staff are committed to improvement and serving the members (thanks, Beth C.)! :clap

Because we expect to receive what we paid for? I don't think so.

I am with Ken. Yesterday, September 3rd I finally received my actual membership package, I had previously received the temporary card, decal and patch that Ted had sent to me via Priority Mail.

So I signed up and paid on July 2nd, two months and a day later I finally receive my membership package. I will leave it up to others to decide if expecting it sooner than that is unreasonable or not. I don't think it is.

Back