• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2001 R1100S 2 second knock/noise at start-up

iselin

Is it 'normal' to have a couple of seconds of knock/noise when engine first starts? I honestly don't know if it's always been there and I'm just now hearing, or if it's something new… thanks for any comments

Very common defect but not "normal". Bad left-side cam chain tensioner. There is an upgrade available. See Rubber Chicken Racing Garage web site for more information.

Welcometo the forum iselin:wave

Think the fellas pointed you in the correct direction...post a pic of that S at the top of Oilheads, it drives the RS guys :banghead

Is it 'normal' to have a couple of seconds of knock/noise when engine first starts? I honestly don't know if it's always been there and I'm just now hearing, or if it's something new… thanks for any comments

The left side tensioner that came with your bike has been superceded by a new one which is identical to the part used on the R1200 engines. In the old ones the oil leaks out when the engine stops. The new one retains the oil so there is no "knocking" on startup. The sound you hear is actually the cam chain slapping since it is loose until the old tensioner fills with oil and starts pushing on the chain like it's supposed to. The original tensioner causes premature wear of the cam chain and guide. Not good!

Any BMW dealer will have this part available as well as Tom Cutter at the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

latest_tensioner_parts.jpg

The left side tensioner that came with your bike has been superceded by a new one which is identical to the part used on the R1200 engines. In the old ones the oil leaks out when the engine stops. The new one retains the oil so there is no "knocking" on startup. The sound you hear is actually the cam chain slapping since it is loose until the old tensioner fills with oil and starts pushing on the chain like it's supposed to. The original tensioner causes premature wear of the cam chain and guide. Not good!

Any BMW dealer will have this part available as well as Tom Cutter at the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

latest_tensioner_parts.jpg

Thanks so much for this information…I'll give it a try

Thanks to all for the input…I'll give the new left side tensioner a try

Really appreciate the input, I think I'll give the new left side tensioner a try

Really appreciate the input, I think I'll give the new left side tensioner a try

Having posted the same question myself about 4 years ago, odds are 10 to 1 that this is the problem.

Don't forget to report back. And don't forget to post a picture of your S!

You identify if you already have the upgraded tensioner by noting the size of the hex nut welded to the tensioner. 17 mm = the original, 15 mm = the upgraded version.

That said, I've had an upgraded version completely frozen in place, i.e. unable to adjust any tension. And, I still have the startup knocking. Have replaced right side tensioner as well. Still investigating.

You identify if you already have the upgraded tensioner by noting the size of the hex nut welded to the tensioner. 17 mm = the original, 15 mm = the upgraded version.

That said, I've had an upgraded version completely frozen in place, i.e. unable to adjust any tension. And, I still have the startup knocking. Have replaced right side tensioner as well. Still investigating.

Saw this happen once before on a friends 1200RT which has the same new tensioners. A very minor scoring of the inner piston was found to be the cause upon disassembly. The mechanic at Ozzies felt that this was a manufacturing defect. He figured with all the oil in there it certainly did not happen due to lack of lubrication.

New style tensioner

If it is frozen in place (not compressing) it has been used before and is full of oil.

You must depress the little ball inside and pump the oil out before re-installing.

The tensioner has been replaced

Thanks so much for this information…I'll give it a try

The newer model tensioner was put in and it took care of the noise at start-up… just like you guys said it would :)
Thanks so much for the good information!

Back