• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pacific Northwest Closures....... (BMW, Ducati, KTM, Indian)

On fire or burning down ???? Depends on who you ask, Wall Street or small town Main Street. :scratch

Friedle

2 weeks ago I was looking at a new car in a rural PA dealership. The salesman said he couldn't offer more than a 5% discount from MSRP because sedans were simply flying off the lot. They simply couldn't keep them in stock.

The following day, I called a dealership in the DC area, they offered 20% off MSRP with no trade. The sedan was in-stock.

So, I can only infer, Central PA must be the epicenter of the economic boom!

The last sentence is all you need to know

In the Seattle-area motorcycle community, Crow is something of a mystery man. According to online reports, he was an enthusiastic racer; his LinkedIn profile shows that he has been at Microsoft since 1997, most recently as a manager of teams for Microsoft Planner, Project, Project Server and Project Online, but shows no motorcycle industry background.

The last sentence is all you need to know

In the Seattle-area motorcycle community, Crow is something of a mystery man. According to online reports, he was an enthusiastic racer; his LinkedIn profile shows that he has been at Microsoft since 1997, most recently as a manager of teams for Microsoft Planner, Project, Project Server and Project Online, but shows no motorcycle industry background.

Ever use MS Project???

That was my first thought. It's a wonder these dealers didn't fold sooner. I sincerely hope a competent businessman buys it ups and restarts it.

In my experience, the best clue for identifying an incompetent manager is the statement.......... "We're going to use MS Project to track manpower and cost!!"

It's useful for task scheduling and identifying the critical path tasks. But, manpower and cost tracking are best left to real software

Just drove by the BMW dealership and two very large flatbed trucks were being loaded with the motorcycles from inside the dealership. Can't be a good sign.

I was just up on Lopez Island for a memorial service last weekend and when leaving Sunday morning and driving down to Portland I saw a ton of bikes on the road in the rain for whatever reason. Mostly in Anacortes and driving from there to Hwy 5. Lots of BMW's.

2 weeks ago I was looking at a new car in a rural PA dealership. The salesman said he couldn't offer more than a 5% discount from MSRP because sedans were simply flying off the lot. They simply couldn't keep them in stock.

The following day, I called a dealership in the DC area, they offered 20% off MSRP with no trade. The sedan was in-stock.

So, I can only infer, Central PA must be the epicenter of the economic boom!

Wasn't it Ford, that not long ago announced they were going to stop all sedan production ? In favor of light trucks , SUV's & vans?

Wasn't it Ford, that not long ago announced they were going to stop all sedan production ? In favor of light trucks , SUV's & vans?

That is correct, although they will still be building the Mustang.

Ford has never made money on car production and with consumer demand having shifted substantially to more truck like vehicles, it was a pretty easy decision. You will likely see smaller, cheaper "SUV" type vehicles from Ford that replace a small car.

I am fairly certain ole Henry is rolling in his grave laughing at that one. :)

It's similar to the comment ....... GM always lost money at Opel due to European work rules, unions, environmental standards, etc......pick your excuse of the day.

A few years back, GM sold Opel to Peugeot. Ever since, the Opel has been operating at a profit and sells cars to GM (Buick Regals).

Based on performance, I wouldn't fault any one for assuming American management skills are poor.

I am fairly certain ole Henry is rolling in his grave laughing at that one. :)

Never was a poor choice of words, but it certainly applies over the last 25 years. Since Asian manufacturers have been allowed to build their industrial bases with U.S sales, while having their home markets protected from U.S manufacturer competition, the car business has been a loser. First it was Japan, then Korea and now China. Ford tried to build an assembly plant in Japan about 25 years ago and the Japanese government said get the h#** out of here, you're not building a plant in our country. To build vehicles in China, you're required to have Chinese partner. No, the car business is not an even playing field around the world.

Never was a poor choice of words, but it certainly applies over the last 25 years. Since Asian manufacturers have been allowed to build their industrial bases with U.S sales, while having their home markets protected from U.S manufacturer competition, the car business has been a loser. First it was Japan, then Korea and now China. Ford tried to build an assembly plant in Japan about 25 years ago and the Japanese government said get the h#** out of here, you're not building a plant in our country. To build vehicles in China, you're required to have Chinese partner. No, the car business is not an even playing field around the world.

What product was Ford going to build for Japan that wasn't already available from their subsidiary Mazda? Relative to China, Buick did very well there selling mundane Regals.

In the US, the foreign car companies, for example BMW, Mercedes and, later, VW got whatever tax and development deal they wanted and promises that the local and state governments would fight any efforts to organize the work force. Forget the NAFTA blame game, GM, Ford and Fiat-Dodge are just abandoning everything but the highest profit vehicles (Pick-ups). It's just laziness.

Back