• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Plugger gets a D-

Wsteinborn, you said:

Well, red IS the fastest color..........

OBVIOUSLY, you don't ride a Ducati - YELLOW is faster!

I had a flat on my rear tire three days ago. It was the first time to use my Stop N Go plugger. I followed the directions and it worked just fine. I have a Slime air compressor (very small) that I fitted with a BMW plug to fit the auxillary power jacks. After repairing the tire, I fired up the compressor. It took about 5 minutes to inflate to 40 pounds and the tire has not lost a bit of air in three days. The tires were ready to be replaced anyway, so I'm putting a new set of Dunlop Roadsmarts on today.

I have carried the Stop and Go plugging kit for over 60,000 miles, and used it to fix flats on the side of the highway over a dozen times. I actually used all the plugs that came with the kit and ordered more from parts unlimited. The plugs have never failed. The closest a plug ever came to failing was a nail that was right on the edge of a tread. After many miles the plug kind of slid down into the gap allowing a slight leak out the high side. It still got me home. I would practice if possible and not just throw the thing away after one bad experience. Maybe you didn't ream out the hole good. Maybe you did..... I'm just saying...... it is a good plugging kit and it is clean and fast.

I always carry both an air compressor and CO2.

Just my 2 cents.

I have carried the Stop and Go plugging kit for over 60,000 miles, and used it to fix flats on the side of the highway over a dozen times.

Over the years, I have used my Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger kit several times to repair tire punctures. I've found it easy to use and it has never let me down.

Muneio's above video clearly leads you through the process.

Wally-mart type stores sell a "gummy-rope" type tire plug kit fer less than $20 that & a small 12v compressor is to my mind "the hot set up"
ps I've had less than adequate results from stop n go

Yup - what you said.

In my opinion, tire plugging is like the wheel - it didn't need to be re-invented by 'Stop 'n Go.'

SLIME Tire Plugging Kit ($8) @ Wal-Mart ('gummy worms') and a 12v compressor should be SOP on any motorcycle. Wrote a review on 'How To' in the August '10 issue of ON.

CO2 cartridges are for paintball guns.

However, to each their own.

Now back to the 3-5 inches of snow smothering Sheboygan (WI) today - Yuk! :banghead

My experiences mirror most of the folks here. I have used the rope plugs, BMW plugs and the Stop-n-Go plugs. Only one of those three has failed me. Yup, that would be the Stop-n-Go. Failed me two times and also failed on a friendÔÇÖs tire when we were riding together.

The BMW ones work, but they are a real pain to insert; I don't carry them anymore. I carry the rope and glue ones and a Dynaplug kit I got last year. I have not had the chance to try the Dynaplug yet. As a matter of fact, I hope I never do:nyah

I carry both the Stop-n-Go and the wax ropes. The fairies of flat tires has taken note, and I have never had a flat. Now that I have jinxed this record...

I've used the Dyna Plugs. They work great! I found them easier to get into a smaller hole than the ropes are.

Tom

Carry a kit with different plugs for different punctures, even some tire & tube patches for serious out in the boonies repairs or for my tubed friends.
The only time I had Stop-N-Go plugs fail was in my RT's OEM Dunlop the first time I used one and did not ream the steel cord enough to keep it from cutting the plug at the head and spitting it out. Have seen some Metz Z6's with wire coming out of the reamed hole but after some serious rasping the plugs stayed.

It depends on how far I need to ride on a tire as to what I use and how long until I can permanently repair or replace the tire back at the house. Helen's 1150 got a test with a DynaPlug on a tiny leak Monday as I will replace that tire next week anyways. I have run string and plugs over the course of a long trip...a few times maybe the life of the tire. All about Risk Management.

BMW tire plug

When I purchased my RT last year I noticed a factory plug kit in it so I did not purchase a rope kit for it.I have used these ropes all my life.Well this past winter I pulled everything off the bike for its winter check-up and decided to open the sealed clear plastic bag with the seal kit in it.What the heck are these D shaped plugs,and how do they work.Do they work well or should I go out and buy some of the rope sealer that I know works?

When I purchased my RT last year I noticed a factory plug kit in it so I did not purchase a rope kit for it.I have used these ropes all my life.Well this past winter I pulled everything off the bike for its winter check-up and decided to open the sealed clear plastic bag with the seal kit in it.What the heck are these D shaped plugs,and how do they work.Do they work well or should I go out and buy some of the rope sealer that I know works?
The oval BMW plugs are the reason for the comment above about them being hard to insert (at least without tearing). An odd choice for a plug shape, but they do work -- IF you can get one inserted without ripping it apart with the insertion tool!

On the rest of this thread: I've always carried a Stop-n-Go kit, and it worked on both occassions I needed it -- but now you all have me worrying!

To Dynaplug or not to Dynaplug, that is the question ... [insert rest of the Bard's work here]. :D

Gummy worms to plug the hold long enough to get to where you can do a real repair.

For a real repair you need a core and patch, inserted from the INSIDE of the tire.

Yes, you have to dismount the tire to patch it, but you end up with a permanent repair that allows you to get the rest of the service life from your tire without overly compromising safety. Core-and-patch repairs are the only repair method tire manufacturers recommend, to the best of my knowledge. An example of one brand of core-and-patch is here:
http://www.wheel-weight.com/Tire-Plug-Patch-165.html

I usually just pick these up at local ATV places, they all seem to have them on hand.

Best,

GTRider

I have used the Stop-N-Go kit once on my 11RS, several times on Rob Lentini's RS when we rode 3Flags, and several times on other riders bikes to help them out.

I read the OP's post and firmly believe he did not use the kit they way it was intended. It takes me longer to get the kit out and ready to use, than it does to ream the hole good, put the nozzle tip on the reamer and push it into the tire, and insert the plug. Yes, on completely deflated tires.

In the case of the one on my bike, I punctured the tire just north of Amarillo, TX. I plugged it, inflated it to 40 lbs and rode to my home in Clovis, NM. The following day, I checked the pressure - no loss of air, and rode it to Deming, NM to Deming Cycle Center where I had it replaced - 400 miles from Clovis.

The multiple plugs used in Rob's rear tire were the result of multiple punctures. He had to replace that tire in Regina, Saskatchewan. Though it was well into the cords with multiple plugs in it - the tire was still aired up the morning after we arrived so he could ride it down to the Harley dealership there [awesome dealer BTW] where he got the tire replaced to get home.

I carry worms as a backup but have never needed them. Used as directed, the Stop-N-Go kit has always worked for me.

Back