• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The *new* new G650GS

Looks nice. I'm trying to figure out the improvements though, (over the old F650 single/Dakar, and G650?) :dunno

Looks nice. I'm trying to figure out the improvements though, (over the old F650 single/Dakar, and G650?) :dunno

Other than the cosmetics (which are questionable, IMO), I would consider this a downgrade from the previous 'G.' No standard ABS, heated grips, or electrical socket. Cast wheels instead of spoked. 14l vs 17l tank. Hard to see a win here, unless they are cheaper. The bike is "made in Germany," but I am assuming the motor is still assembled in China, unless BMW suddenly started assembling the motors domestically after spending lots of dough to get production going in Loncin.

front fender?

Once again BMW has gone for form rather than function with the very short front fender. Can't see the point of that....

I've got a high - miles Funduro, with carbs, and the new machine certainly doesn't seem as functional as my 13 year old F650.

So....what would happen if BMW produced the Toyota Camry or Corolla of the motorcycle world? People buy the former (and latter) because they are so dependable.

Overall, I think it is a better looking bike than it was before. The midsection looks smoother now and the beak and "tank" seem better blended into the overall shape than before. The headlight is non-typical, and follows BMW trademark unique "face" using asymetrical shapes. Though, it looks a bit like that goofy headlight on a Kawasaki Versys.

I agree, the front fender is useless as it is. Why BMW insists on these stubby front fenders (all the way back to my 94 R1100RS) is beyond me. Maybe BMW feels that all manner of road crap slung directly onto the hot engine is just fine.

This should help this discussion.............. Alloy wheels????????????

Attachments

• bmw-g-650-gs-left-front.jpg
    bmw-g-650-gs-left-front.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 306
I agree, the front fender is useless as it is. Why BMW insists on these stubby front fenders (all the way back to my 94 R1100RS) is beyond me. Maybe BMW feels that all manner of road crap slung directly onto the hot engine is just fine.

As a strictly road bike, yes the fender is too short.

For my tastes, I'd take it off all together to prevent mud jams on the front wheel. I did that on my 03 F650GS, and am in the process of doing so on my F800GS. I don't feel an off road bike should have a fender that close to the tire.

G 650 gs

Maybe it's the price of gas in Europe, but this trend of reducing fuel tank capacity is keeping me from considering a lot of the new bikes. :confused:

Maybe it's the price of gas in Europe, but this trend of reducing fuel tank capacity is keeping me from considering a lot of the new bikes. :confused:

Don't think gallons, think range. The range is about 220 miles, assuming an average of 3.9 l/100km or about 60 MPG. The printed specs say about 73 MPG at 56 MPH and 55 MPG at 75 MPH.

Perhaps the members of the design department have an ownership stake in Touratech?

Alloy wheels suprised me too, AK. They are so hard to relace and true after a thumping.

Perhaps the members of the design department have an ownership stake in Touratech?

Alloy wheels suprised me too, AK. They are so hard to relace and true after a thumping.

I'll comment on the alloy wheels issue. One morning a couple years ago, beside the road near Chicken, Alaska, as I was replacing the punctured tube in the rear wheel of my travel-loaded F650 Funduro, I declared to Voni, God, and the world that I would never again buy a bike with tube-type tires (tyres for some of you) that had to be removed to repair. I don't like late 19th century/early 20th century technology. (Michelin, 1895; Strauss, 1911)

When BMW came out with the F800GS twin and F650GSreallyan800butwecallit650 twin I was almost ready checkbook in hand to buy an F800GS but didn't because of those silly spoked wheels and tube-type tires. On that issue alone if I do decide to buy one of these it will be the one called the 650 due to alloy wheels and tubeless tires.

I do understand that this will somewhat limit the bike's ability to be ridden off cliffs or through pot holes in Cleveland or New York City but I generally avoid doing that anyway.

I'll comment on the alloy wheels issue. One morning a couple years ago, beside the road near Chicken, Alaska, as I was replacing the punctured tube in the rear wheel of my travel-loaded F650 Funduro, I declared to Voni, God, and the world that I would never again buy a bike with tube-type tires (tyres for some of you) that had to be removed to repair. I don't like late 19th century/early 20th century technology. (Michelin, 1895; Strauss, 1911)

When BMW came out with the F800GS twin and F650GSreallyan800butwecallit650 twin I was almost ready checkbook in hand to buy an F800GS but didn't because of those silly spoked wheels and tube-type tires. On that issue alone if I do decide to buy one of these it will be the one called the 650 due to alloy wheels and tubeless tires.

I do understand that this will somewhat limit the bike's ability to be ridden off cliffs or through pot holes in Cleveland or New York City but I generally avoid doing that anyway.

:thumb:thumb:thumb

i wonder if it has the same POS water pump design as the original single cyl F650GS, you know the one where the water pump fails every 20,000 miles or so.

if it has an updated water pump design i'll trade my '07 F650GS in tomorrow, but if they kept the same water pump design then i'll pass on the new G650GS.

otherwise i think it is a nice looking bike and as already been said i do like the fact the bike has moved out of the past and now has tubeless tires.

Last edited:
Being a current xchallenge rider I think I may have found my next bike! More fuel range, alloy wheels, a bit lower-yeah, looks like the ticket. Love my x and have done some long trips on it--only gripes are the fuel tank and small choice of tires---and the seat designed by the guy that taught torture techniques to the KGB. Now to find out if I can take off the Ohlins and remus and keep them for the 650gs along with my dirt bagz. I think I will stop by Ironhorse BMW today and see what is up with this new GS!!:dance

Maybe not as hard as one may think. My old 1150R had much more intricate alloy rims and after bending them both, I stripped them down, sent them off UPS to a repair shop. 2 weeks later, including shipping time both ways, I had the rims back good as new. I did luck out though that the dents in them were between the double spoke set up. If they had been closer, may have lost the rim. The rims on the new bike look to have single spokes, so would be even easier to get between them to straighten out dents. I was able to save both of my rims for much less than replacing just one with a used rim. And the worse of the two had started to flatten out in a spot, so needed some good massaging I imagine.

FWIW I was being a bit sarcastic with my alloy wheel comment.

I like this updated version of the G 650 GS alloy wheels and all. The alloys on my Roadster have served me well enough for the off road adventuring I do now. A lighter more nimble G GS will be more benefit if I were to make the switch and not having to deal with tubes would be a plus.

My guess is BMWÔÇÖs alloy decision was helped along by the markets that it sells the most of these in.

Back