• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New GS Models For 2023 !!!

Maybe they think it is already April1. I don't doubt a new model - but a 1300 and a 1400? I doubt it.

Maybe they think it is already April1. I don't doubt a new model - but a 1300 and a 1400? I doubt it.

From the article
Despite the different numbers, we suspect both models will have the same displacement in the 1300-1400cc range, similar to how the F 750 GS and F 850 GS share the same 853cc Twin.

Unless they’ve also found a way to trim off 20lbs or more of weight, this is a step in the wrong direction in my book. The GS doesn’t need more power or a bigger engine; it needs more torque, less weight, a clutch with a wider engagement band like the dry clutches had, and a tad more flywheel effect. Those would be very useful attributes for those of us who like to actually take a GS into the back country. I suspect we are instead going to see more hp, more weight, greater complexity, less availability of service info for owners, and a higher price.

And the first-year allotment to dealers will be pre-sold out, and down payment money banked, within two weeks of product announcement.

Best,
DeVern

Unless they’ve also found a way to trim off 20lbs or more of weight, this is a step in the wrong direction in my book. The GS doesn’t need more power or a bigger engine; it needs more torque, less weight, a clutch with a wider engagement band like the dry clutches had, and a tad more flywheel effect. Those would be very useful attributes for those of us who like to actually take a GS into the back country. I suspect we are instead going to see more hp, more weight, greater complexity, less availability of service info for owners, and a higher price.

And the first-year allotment to dealers will be pre-sold out, and down payment money banked, within two weeks of product announcement.

Best,
DeVern
I really like the big GS bikes. It’s mostly the style and the feeling that it will survive the crappy roads better than a “street” specific bike.
I don’t know who originally said it but I completely agree that “There is no such thing as a quarter-ton dirt bike”.
Certainly not at my age. :gerg

OM

I don’t go to dealerships so I don’t come home with one. . ;)

I really like the big GS bikes. It’s mostly the style and the feeling that it will survive the crappy roads better than a “street” specific bike.
I don’t know who originally said it but I completely agree that “There is no such thing as a quarter-ton dirt bike”.
Certainly not at my age. :gerg

OM

I don’t go to dealerships so I don’t come home with one. . ;)

The local Harley dealer keep insisting i take the new HD adventure bike for a ride. I tell him I wouldn't mind riding it, but I have zero interest in owning one. I keep repeating myself telling him if I want on off road bike it needs to weigh about half of what these large bikes weigh. Maybe a Yamaha WR250R. 295 pounds wet.

The local Harley dealer keep insisting i take the new HD adventure bike for a ride. I tell him I wouldn't mind riding it, but I have zero interest in owning one. I keep repeating myself telling him if I want on off road bike it needs to weigh about half of what these large bikes weigh. Maybe a Yamaha WR250R. 295 pounds wet.

Much of what is really needed is there with the 310 GS, for solo use, but it just can't quite work in deep sand and needs to be a little lighter. I tried a lot of tire combinations and such but ended up using the 310 GS for everything from light trails and backroads to Florida and back, but not technical single track and sand. Picked up a new KLX 300 last spring and that can do anything in the woods and sand that the really expensive off road bikes do. It would be interesting to see the 310GS motor in a KLX chassis. Both bikes need a larger fuel tank.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

WR250s are for hard riding/high revving performance riders. If you like to haul butt through the woods, this bike is a great choice.

However, the faster you go, the harder you hit the ground… or the trees. damhikt

I’m eying a Honda CRF 300 Rally… a tamer/friendlier engine and it’s still right near 300lbs.

I’d kill for a sub-300lb electric bike. The Zero DSR is the right form factor (for me, anyway) but it’s well north of 400lbs.

I truly wish BMW would market a bike like the Honda CB500X… a great all-around bike that’s not too tall and weighs closer to 400lbs vs. the BMW equivalent 500.

WR250s are for hard riding/high revving performance riders. If you like to haul butt through the woods, this bike is a great choice.
The Zero DSR is the right form factor (for me, anyway) but it’s well north of 400lbs.
I truly wish BMW would market a bike like the Honda CB500X… a great all-around bike that’s not too tall and weighs closer to 400lbs vs. the BMW equivalent 500.

The Zero DSR checks a lot of boxes for me as well, even at $18k plus.
Smooth, quiet and reliable, but the 97 highway mile range even with optional power tank is just not enough ... yet.

Chinese QJ is building a low cost 500cc twin for the Benelli brand and there is speculation it may also be branded as a Harley Davidson. Maybe BMW will do something similar with Loncin or TVS. The margins on outsourced bikes are likely very attractive and are probably the future for many Euro brands.

Back