• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ATTENTION!!! All K bikes. HONDA MOLY 60 DISCONTINUED

98lee

3 Red Bricks
Staff member
Honda Moly 60 (the go to lube for clutch and driveshaft splines) has been discontinued.

It has been superceeded by Honda M77, but that is not the same animal. There is no listing on the tube or any listing of it that states the % of Moly content (although you might guess it to be 77%, but you might be wrong). The only application that I have found listed for it is for brake caliper assembly on Honda Civics. NOTHING about splines, nothing about motorcycles.

The temp. rating for the M77 is 450 deg. The temp rating for Moly 60 is 750 deg. in a sliding application and 1500 deg. in a non sliding application. DEFINITELY NOT the same animal.

The Honda forums have been abuzz for several months with people wondering what they are going to go to.

The local Honda dealers knew nothing about it until I bought them out of Moly 60. The parts guys saw in there computers that it was NLA. When I asked their service depts. what they were going to use once their tube in the shop ran out, they didn't have a clue. So much for Honda Service Bulletins.

You guys might want to check with your local Honda dealerships to see if they have a couple tubes left.

:dance:dance:dance

Moly 60 Alternative

As an "old" Gold Wing driver it's interesting your using the Honda 60 Moly. I thought it was very pricey but used it whenever I pulled the wheel off for any maintenance on my previous bikes. Here is another alternative that looks like it has high temp range as well. Not cheap though!

Loctite 51048

Anti Seize Compound, Moly Paste, 8-Oz. Can

Model: 51048 SKU: 283164

Why not the GD570 with twice the Moly? :dunno

(Paul, I figured this thread would be the best way to make users aware of the Guard Dog products) :wave
http://guarddogmoly.com/product-category/motorcycles/

:dance:dance:dance

I prefer the 525 to the 570 but I have both on the shelf. The 570 is is very much like the Honda stuff. I think it dries out too quickly, isn't as sticky and tenacious as the 525 and doesn't have as good cushioning characteristics as the 525. Ben Mathes at Guard Dog specifically formulated the 525 grease based on the requirements of BMW clutch splines. It winds up similar to the 50-50 mixture of Honda Moly 60 and Wurth Sig 3000 (sticky green grease) I used to mix up which wound up 30% moly by volume. That is what 525 is.

Back